By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ds 68.1% psp 31.9%

ds 68.2% psp 31.8%

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
endurance said:
^yeah psp is doing great,just compared to DS it looks like a flop

no it's doing badly.

I am so glad to see PSP losing to DS-
I honestly thought that Sony was going to ruin the handheld market with Everything in one box mentanlity...

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

@ DJMeister - just wow, dude. Every post you made reeked of bitterness.

Back on topic though.

I'm definitely glad that the PSP didn't manage to beat out the DS, but I think a lot of that was really due to the fact that the PSP was never designed to compete with the DS, but was instead competing with the GBA. It may have been intended to compete with the DS, but it definitely wasn't designed for that.

The 3 biggest problems I see with the PSP:

UMD format - requires memory cards in order to save games, creates long loading times, and the motor to spin the disc is one of the biggest drains on the PSP's battery

Only one nub - some people say they hate the nub, but the 5 seconds i used it, I fell in love with it, but they needed two so that people could have played the thing like a portable PS2

No clamshell - The PSP has this nice big shiny screen, and if you put this thing in your pocket, your keys are pretty much guaranteed to destroy that shininess. Along with that, the thing is long as heck. if they cut off the buttons and speakers and put everything on the bottom half of the clamshell, they could have increased the portability and screen protection at the same time.

Of course, at that rate, I might as well just say "Hey, and while they're at it, throw a touch screen on the bottom"

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:

Back on topic though.

I'm definitely glad that the PSP didn't manage to beat out the DS, but I think a lot of that was really due to the fact that the PSP was never designed to compete with the DS, but was instead competing with the GBA. It may have been intended to compete with the DS, but it definitely wasn't designed for that.

UMD format - requires memory cards in order to save games, creates long loading times, and the motor to spin the disc is one of the biggest drains on the PSP's battery

Only one nub - some people say they hate the nub, but the 5 seconds i used it, I fell in love with it, but they needed two so that people could have played the thing like a portable PS2

No clamshell - The PSP has this nice big shiny screen, and if you put this thing in your pocket, your keys are pretty much guaranteed to destroy that shininess. Along with that, the thing is long as heck. if they cut off the buttons and speakers and put everything on the bottom half of the clamshell, they could have increased the portability and screen protection at the same time.

Of course, at that rate, I might as well just say "Hey, and while they're at it, throw a touch screen on the bottom"
 No , way , it actually requiers a memory card to save games :o now thats a shame , no console ever needed that right ? Also , I wouldent put not even my phone with keys in one pocket , and probably no portable sistem neither .  Oh , and if the UMD wouldent be , we probably couldent play games like CC or GoW , because the space is needed , and to make games downloadable only wouldent be the solution . On the other hand I agree that they should do something with the fast battery drain , and add a second analog nub . And I also agree that the PSP is more a next Gameboy , rather than the DS , and as far as it goes , IMO SOny did a great job to cpture that market . 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

IMO, the mistake with the PSP is that Sony wanted to make half a console of it. They should have release more games like Patapon and Locoroco.

hunter_alien said:
Grey Acumen said:

Back on topic though.

No , way , it actually requiers a memory card to save games :o now thats a shame , no console ever needed that right ? Also , I wouldent put not even my phone with keys in one pocket , and probably no portable sistem neither . Oh , and if the UMD wouldent be , we probably couldent play games like CC or GoW , because the space is needed , and to make games downloadable only wouldent be the solution . On the other hand I agree that they should do something with the fast battery drain , and add a second analog nub . And I also agree that the PSP is more a next Gameboy , rather than the DS , and as far as it goes , IMO SOny did a great job to cpture that market .

You make an issue over how neccesary the UMD is, but it's not. It's got a 1.8GB capacity. We've already got SD cards that can do 2 - 4 GB withought any issues, and they take up about 1/4 of the space, faster load times, and you can set them so you can read from and write to them. Even if they had developed something the same size as the UMD, they should have used a flash based media, not something that required an optical medium. 

I get the feeling Sony was banking on how its CD format managed to beat down the Nintendo's cartridge format and were hoping for a repeat.

Still, people can be pretty rough with their portable systems. It's not an issue that you have to worry about with regular consoles since they aren't subjected to teh same amount of traveling, and constant battery powered operation.

I see the PSP as being more of a learning experience for Sony. I'm hoping that they won't get so badly wrapped up in themselves that they refuse to address the issues that this model raised. The fact that they managed to get as much of a market share as they have is also a major success. Provided they address teh issues that this model brought up, they may actually be able to get an even larger portion of the pie, but then again, Nintendo has pretty much flipped gaming on its head, so it may not be enough by then.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

The psp is no longer a handheld guys.

mM
leo-j said:
The psp is no longer a handheld guys.

??? (elaborate plz)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

@ Grey Acumen

Elaborate? Bitter? Plz...

OT:

The DS IS AT 68.2 and the PSP IS AT 31.8. STOP THE PRESS! THE DS IS BEATING THE PSP!