By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will surpass Wii in million sellers

ryuzaki57 said:

I've done a little research :

- on 83 Wii million-sellers 57 were from third parties (67%)

- on 62 PS3 million-sellers 47 were from third parties (76%)

not a huge difference, but...

- on 83 Wii million-sellers 34 were released in 2007 or before (40%) and only 2 in 2010 (2%)

- on 62 PS3 million-sellers 11 were released in 2007 or before (18%) and 6 in 2010 (10%)

conclusion : many Wii million-sellers actually hit 1 million in 2007-2008, when the Wii hype was at its climax and since then, the number of Wii games hitting 1 million has slowed down as third parties withdraw from the system and as Wii becomes less popular.

Many Wii games are close to 1 million so it will be difficult for PS3 if those games keep selling. But as for new releases PS3 will achieve more million-sellers since Nintendo alone cannot offset Sony & third party support.

That's an interesting analysis. For me it seems like PS3 could do it.

Around the Network

I think the Wii will have more Million sellers by the time this gen ends...you have to remember almost every game Nintendo publishes hits 1 Million someday...also on Wii games keep selling for years and years. Holiday's will also play a big part in this as if Wii continues to have crazy Holiday #'s games will continue to fly off the shelves which will cause many more Million sellers.

GO PS3!!

That is all.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

axumblade said:

While I see it as feasible, I still don't see the top selling 10 PS3 million sellers outselling Wii Sports. :P

Hey now that's uncalled for, has nothing to do with this thread, but either way you'll be wrong. The top 10 PS3 games right now are already about 49 million and Wii Sports is at 65 million now, since Wii sports is a bundled game it will start slowing down quite a bit because of Wii sales, and with games like GT5, Call of Duty games, LBP2, FFVXIII, FFXIV, GTA game, Agent, MGS Rising, Uncharted 3 etc. Wii Sports won't stand a chance :P 

This only means the legs the Wii used to for many games have been broken these past two years. I used to thinkthe Wii had a chance to past the 360 , but now i HAVE my doubts. The PS3 won't catch the Wii though, not a chance.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Thought it had happend last year..Weird.Guess I forgot the legendary Wii legs.

Take my love, take my land..

Smeags said:
Gilgamesh said:

That's the way it seems, the PS3 has been catching up to the Wii for quite some time and by the look of 2011 it should really catch up fast. Currently the PS3 has 62 million sellers and the Wii has 84, so a difference of 22 million sellers so far.

Wii had more million sellers last year (31 to 25 I believe), and so far this year... Wii has one more million seller (14 to 13). So how is PS3 "catching up" as you say?

"but mainly because more 3rd Parties strike gold on PS3 than Wii."

And as for 3rd parties, Wii has almost as many 3rd party million sellers (~60) as the PS3 has million sellers. So I'm not really seeing how the 3rd party argument goes in Sony's favor. Where are you guys getting this idea that 3rd parties are selling gangbusters on PS3 where Wii is a 3rd party sales wasteland?

As long as Wii continues to sell more software, it will continue to get more and more million sellers. And those of you who think the PS3 will overtake the Wii's million sellers by 2011... seems to me that that's moreso wishful thinking than anything else.

The best part is that this information is available on this site and people still refuse to do their research before making these claims.

Astounding, but entertaining.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Yes I think that will, happen, but that's gone prove one thing we already know...3rd parties don't want to invest on wii titles. I'm suprised this hasn't happened before...

Poor Nintendo, having to sustain a console all by themselves.

Smeags said:
Gilgamesh said:

That's the way it seems, the PS3 has been catching up to the Wii for quite some time and by the look of 2011 it should really catch up fast. Currently the PS3 has 62 million sellers and the Wii has 84, so a difference of 22 million sellers so far.

Wii had more million sellers last year (31 to 25 I believe), and so far this year... Wii has one more million seller (14 to 13). So how is PS3 "catching up" as you say?

"but mainly because more 3rd Parties strike gold on PS3 than Wii."

And as for 3rd parties, Wii has almost as many 3rd party million sellers (~60) as the PS3 has million sellers. So I'm not really seeing how the 3rd party argument goes in Sony's favor. Where are you guys getting this idea that 3rd parties are selling gangbusters on PS3 where Wii is a 3rd party sales wasteland?

As long as Wii continues to sell more software, it will continue to get more and more million sellers. And those of you who think the PS3 will overtake the Wii's million sellers by 2011... seems to me that that's moreso wishful thinking than anything else.

Something is beating something else by a slightly lower total than the previous year, therefore the thing getting beat is catching up, despite the fact that the gap has actually increased.

Or at least that seems to be how logic works for some around here....

VGChartz