By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

Just Dance saved Ubisoft's ass. Screw them, ungrateful.

Around the Network

Well, I enjoy playing my so-called "refurbished Gamecube" so I don't care about what one game designer from Ubisoft says about it :P.

guiduc said:

Just Dance saved Ubisoft's ass. Screw them, ungrateful.

I'm pretty sure they would have done just fine without Just Dance.

Assassin's Creed 2 selling 8 Million units within a year should keep them smiling. Nevermind the lower-tier games like Splinter Cell Conviction or whatever they released on DS.

People who think the Wii is NEEDED for developers to do well are just as ignorant as people like this guy in the OP.

spiffiness said:
adsl said:

Usually Game designers / graphical artists don't the Wii, back in 2007 I was talking with one of contacts in the game industry (a game designer) and she told me: "I have already played the tree consoles of this gen and the Wii is the worst"

Yup, my friend who is a 3D artist in the games industry told me how the Wii games department artists were hurting from all the constraints imposed on them. Actually, any time visual fidelity is lost we'll be unhappy, which only makes sense.

Boo hoo. The problem with these game artists is that they forget they are in a BUSINESS. They are not making games for themselves, they're making them for CONSUMERS.

There are shader operations the Wii can do that the GC cannot do.  While it's not a huge increase in the shader library, new ones do exist.   Thera are also more pipes in the TEV.  Also having a faster CPU, GPU, RAM (and more) and buses allows for more shader ops at any given moment over the GC.

A "refurbished" GC would mean no changes at all.  It's actually a misnomer completely.  To be refurbished, a unit would need to be broken and merely restored to original spec and operation.

The mere fact that Wii has new hardware voids his statement completely.

I cannot believe it is 2010 and we still have people claiming Wii to be no more powerful than the GC.  I implore you all who share that belief to do some actual research instead of hanging on to the ficticious ramblimgs of fanboys.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
spiffiness said:
adsl said:

Usually Game designers / graphical artists don't the Wii, back in 2007 I was talking with one of contacts in the game industry (a game designer) and she told me: "I have already played the tree consoles of this gen and the Wii is the worst"

Yup, my friend who is a 3D artist in the games industry told me how the Wii games department artists were hurting from all the constraints imposed on them. Actually, any time visual fidelity is lost we'll be unhappy, which only makes sense.

Boo hoo. The problem with these game artists is that they forget they are in a BUSINESS. They are not making games for themselves, they're making them for CONSUMERS.

Certain art appeals to certain people though.

Much like certain consoles appeal to certain people.

Hence, that said art doesn't do as well on certain consoles.

Look at the recent sales of Madden 11 as a perfect example. The PS3 version sold 5 times more than the Wii version, despite the Wii userbase in NA being 3 times larger...

Sometimes. The consumers just aren't there.

And the so-called refurbished Gamecube has been beating the hell out of its competitores every year since it launched. Yeah, I'll admit it's not as powerful as the HD twins, but a LOT of developers have made great titles with its "less is more" approach

Carl2291 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Carl2291 said:
Antabus said:
Metallicube said:

Makes me laugh how these tech whores get their panties in a bunch that such an underpowered console is kicking the taints of the "amazing" powerful HD consoles.

I am not following your logic there. Where did the guy say anything like that?

He didn't.

But you should know by now that everyone dislikes the Wii because it's outselling the HD consoles. This also automatically makes the Wii better.

Not because (for example) Ubisofts 2 best selling games ever are on those said HD consoles.

The problem is assuming it's because those games are on the HD consoles made them sell, not that they are actually good and marketed well. NSMBWii didn't sell well just because it was on the Wii. It sold because it's also good and marketed well.

BTW, reviews don't make a game good, nor are a substitute for marketing.

You think a consoles demographic doesn't come into how a certain game sells?

Do you honestly think that Carnival Games would sell over 3.5 Million units on either HD console? Honestly?

And just so you know. Assassin's Creed wasn't a good game. It was slow, repetitive and dull. The only good thing about it was the introduction of Parkour into games and the graphics.

I didn't say it doesn't matter at all. But to have the bestselling games on two systems, and not have them on another, is just assuming correlation=causalition, which is a major logical fallacy. Again, those games are not only on those systems. They are ALSO of mainstream quality AND have marketing. So far, few major Wii games of the kind the "harcore" likes have either, and none have had them to the degree that makes them sell well. Even Monster Hunter needed true local co-op, since that was a major factor in them selling on the PSP (the ad hoc wi-fi).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Metallicube said:

Fine, it's a refurbished Gamecube, but it's apparently a refurbished Gamecube that 73 million people want.

Makes me laugh how these tech whores get their panties in a bunch that such an underpowered console is kicking the taints of the "amazing" powerful HD consoles.

underpowered console 73m

"amazing" powerful HD consoles 79m

people like their HD gaming too

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
Metallicube said:

Fine, it's a refurbished Gamecube, but it's apparently a refurbished Gamecube that 73 million people want.

underpowered console 73m

"amazing" powerful HD consoles 79m

people like their HD gaming too

That doesn't count, since the power is not what sold them, and they are only combined when it's them versus the Wii. Until it is done when it's them versus each other, it's flat out hypocray.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs