By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft dev: "Wii is a refurbished Gamecube"

It's not just about graphics but I play my Wii on a a decent spec 100hz 32inch TV (1080p) and SMG2 looks great! Plus because they concentrate more on gameplay the frame rate is often near rock solid 60fps with no screen tearing. Anyone with either HD consoles will be aware of the issues of maintaining 30fps and minimising screen tearing.

Around the Network

To me Galaxy 1 & 2 looks much much better than anything on GCN. Galaxy 2 has fantastic Wii graphics imo. So for me theres no question that the Wii is more powerful than GCN.

Considering that OpenGL 1.3 (defined in 2001 I think it was) already had dot3 texture combining, that would make doing diffuse normal mapping trivial, and I would be AMAZED if the Wii couldn't do it.

Anyway, normal mapping has so many forms. Most games today implement some kind of virtual displacement (done in a pixel program) to make bump mapping actually look 3d. The Wii has no chance of that sadly, but an environment map for specularity added to simple OpenGL 1.3 dot3 mapping will still look pretty decent.

Real time shadowing with shadow maps? Well OpenGL 1.4 had that as part of it's spec around 2002. The Wii MUST surely support it then. Of course they won't be able to do any of the multi sampling on shadows that can be done on newer hardware, but they can make a good shot at it.

I think the real killer for the Wii is no floating point texture support, so that that means true HDR is out of the question. HDR is really what makes games like Uncharted 2 shine IMO.

Yeah, Ubisoft, wii sucks, you shoudn't develop for it, why don't you cancel just dance 2 and make a much more expensive hd version, since you hate wii so bad?

The wii is more powerful than the gamecube..

the wii is about as powerful as the original XBOX

mM
Around the Network
KylieDog said:

Since no one has posted images of the GCs actual best looking game.

Thank you. I was going to post some images from the Rogue Squadron games myself, and wondered why no-one else had, yet. Glad to see there's at least SOMEONE who remembers just how great these games looked.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

MaxwellGT2000 said:

Haha so this is why Scott Pilgrim vs the World didn't hit Wii Ware despite that game being nothing but a 2D brawler

See he feels the Wii is just a Gamecube, which if we are to believe the fan warz of last gen Gamecube was the weakest console out of the three cause it had all the kiddy games, so yeah... it couldn't even do 2D graphics... yeah so Wii... can't even make 2D graphics... lol

Really though this is what I always tell people, look up the people making these comments, 90% of the time they might be a dev but it will be a dev for someone else, in this case the guy is an artist... not really in the know when you're discussing hardware.

The last paragraph seems quite relevant here. If he's an artist, he will likely know the specifics of what needs to be downgraded from the best quality possible in 3D, i.e. lower res textures, lower poly count, etc. and that will form the basis for his impression of the Wii. He is not going to care about the tech specs, only about how much detail he has to leave off the final assets, so to him, the Wii might as well be at the same level as a Gamecube.

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

Metallicube said:

Fine, it's a refurbished Gamecube, but it's apparently a refurbished Gamecube that 73 million people want.

Makes me laugh how these tech whores get their panties in a bunch that such an underpowered console is kicking the taints of the "amazing" powerful HD consoles.

It's such a shallow attitude.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Metallicube said:

Makes me laugh how these tech whores get their panties in a bunch that such an underpowered console is kicking the taints of the "amazing" powerful HD consoles.

I am not following your logic there. Where did the guy say anything like that?