By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Let's Talk About Mass Effect 2 (General Thread) - Now For Sony Fans, Too

*SPOILERS*

arcelonious said:

At the end of Issue 3, Liara initially thinks that she is talking to the Shadow Broker, which actually turns out to be a sophisticated machine, so it's possible that Harbinger was also talking to something like that.

As for Feron in the field instead of sitting in a chair somewhere, maybe he's more active in his work than people have been led to believe.  Again, I already know that my theory is out there, with the current information leading us to believe that the Yahg was the Shadow Broker.  Maybe we'll see more in the third game, or maybe we won't.

I haven't read Redemption, but as I understand it Liara and Feron recovered Shepard's body, then gave it to Cerberus.  In doing so, Feron betrayed the Shadow Broker and later explained that this was due to the fact that he did not support working with the Collectors.  I'm sure that noticeable effects of long-term torture would have been suspiciously absent, if your theory was accurate.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network
GooseGaws said:

*SPOILERS*

arcelonious said:

At the end of Issue 3, Liara initially thinks that she is talking to the Shadow Broker, which actually turns out to be a sophisticated machine, so it's possible that Harbinger was also talking to something like that.

As for Feron in the field instead of sitting in a chair somewhere, maybe he's more active in his work than people have been led to believe.  Again, I already know that my theory is out there, with the current information leading us to believe that the Yahg was the Shadow Broker.  Maybe we'll see more in the third game, or maybe we won't.

I haven't read Redemption, but as I understand it Liara and Feron recovered Shepard's body, then gave it to Cerberus.  In doing so, Feron betrayed the Shadow Broker and later explained that this was due to the fact that he did not support working with the Collectors.  I'm sure that noticeable effects of long-term torture would have been suspiciously absent, if your theory was accurate.

**SPOILERS**

If you've played the DLC, you should have noticed how Feron sort of vanishes from his restraints once the Yahg is defeated (start the video around the 6:50 mark).  Clearly if he were really under long-term torture effects, he wouldn't have been able to vanish like how he was portrayed (instead, he would have slowly gotten up).  Again, when he hears the Shadow Broker's "voice", he sprints towards the Shadow Broker's room (as if he is perfectly fine, instead of slowly limping toward the location) and draw his weapon.  It's only when he's in front of Liara that you see him start to limp.

It's easy to take Feron's actions at face value if you haven't read Redemption yet, because in Redemption, it shows how deceitful Feron can be.

arcelonious said:
GooseGaws said:

*SPOILERS*

arcelonious said:

**SPOILERS**

If you've played the DLC, you should have noticed how Feron sort of vanishes from his restraints once the Yahg is defeated (start the video around the 6:50 mark).  Clearly if he were really under long-term torture effects, he wouldn't have been able to vanish like how he was portrayed (instead, he would have slowly gotten up).  Again, when he hears the Shadow Broker's "voice", he sprints towards the Shadow Broker's room (as if he is perfectly fine, instead of slowly limping toward the location) and draw his weapon.  It's only when he's in front of Liara that you see him start to limp.

That's some extreme conjecture based on pretty flimsy evidence.  What about Shepard's body, and the betrayal?  Further, it is suggested that Feron had never seen the Shadow Broker in person.  I don't know, I think you're way off.  Time will tell, of course.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

GooseGaws said:
arcelonious said:
GooseGaws said:

*SPOILERS*

arcelonious said:

**SPOILERS**

That's some extreme conjecture based on pretty flimsy evidence.  What about Shepard's body, and the betrayal?  Further, it is suggested that Feron had never seen the Shadow Broker in person.  I don't know, I think you're way off.  Time will tell, of course.

Like I said, I'm well aware of how "out there" my theory is (which I've already stated numerous times), and I'm not even going to guess what Feron's true motivations are (if he even is the Shadow Broker), because I'm already taking a leap with my theory as it is.  And I'm fairly certain that I'll be proven wrong.

I just think that there is more to Feron than what we've been led to believe.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

You know I really like Mass Effect 2's soundtrack. Even the DLC has really great unique music!

It's not my favorite soundtrack this year, but it's in the running and most other years it would probably win.

Around the Network

You are making way to much out of Feron escaping his restraints. He escapes them because when you defeat the Shadow Broker his information network goes down. He tells you before fight the broker that you have to shut down the brokers network to free him. Liara also mentions that Feron is being used a ground for the Broker's system. Once's the network is down, so is Feron's restraint system.

Played Shadow Broker DLC last night. Great though a bit easy on hardcore.Contrasted with the Kasumi DLC that I played through a few days ago, Shadow Broker is so much better it isn't even funny.

Shadow Broker works into the plot of ME2 and sets up for ME3 and I therefore see it as essential for everyone who enjoyed ME2. However, I am aprehensive about paying for DLC in general and I assume there are others who feel the same way. Relatively speaking, $10 really isn't a bad deal. An hour and a half of entertainment for $10 is about equal to a movie ticket for a new release, or even cover to see some lesser-known bands. Looked at in this way it really isn't that outlandish, though I see it as something that fragments the Mass Effect experience as there are those who won't pay for extra content.At the same time though I paid for ME2 and it's frustrating to see this paid content dangled in front of me in game when additional payment is the only way to access it. 

Then there is the other downloadable content. I don't have a problem with guns and armour being paid content persay, just give those of us who would rather unlock it in game that option. Make it difficult to get cool new weapons and armour likes games used to. I don't like the idea of Bioware making these great additions to the game only available to those who are willing to buy them through microtransactions.

tl;dr - Shadow Broker is awesome but I still don't want to pay for it. The core ME2 experience is very good and DLC like this included with the game would make it that much better. 

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Ameratsu, if it weren't DLC then we wouldn't be able to play it at all. I would also like to get tons more content than I already have - for free, no less - but there are some cases (and this is one of them) where that is not a reasonable expectation.

Khuutra said:

Ameratsu, if it weren't DLC then we wouldn't be able to play it at all. I would also like to get tons more content than I already have - for free, no less - but there are some cases (and this is one of them) where that is not a reasonable expectation.

At the very least, Bioware should make this DLC free prior to the release of ME3. Tack on an unskippable trailer for ME3 at the end and call it a day.Would generate a lot of buzz and have people playing ME2 again. I can't see MS going for that though.

I never said I wanted tons of content for free. Some content though would be great. I think there's something to be said for devs  who support their product post-release without expecting extra payment. I am way more willing to buy games from developers I know have a history of supporting their products without wanting to charge for every new addition. There's nothing wrong with requiring the cereberus network to download the shadow broker as that would guarantee them $ from used purchases but that clearly isn't enough for Bioware.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
Khuutra said:

At the very least, Bioware should make this DLC free prior to the release of ME3. Tack on an unskippable trailer for ME3 at the end and call it a day.Would generate a lot of buzz and have people playing ME2 again. I can't see MS going for that though.

I never said I wanted tons of content for free. Some content though would be great. I think there's something to be said for devs  who support their product post-release without expecting extra payment. I am way more willing to buy games from developers I know have a history of supporting their products without wanting to charge for every new addition. There's nothing wrong with requiring the cereberus network to download the shadow broker as that would guarantee them $ from used purchases but that clearly isn't enough for Bioware.

I don't think it's possible for them to do that on Xbox Live; you can't put up things for free on there all willy-nilly. They do have sales, though, and that needs to be acknowledged; last week was a 40% (or something similar) off sale on Kasumi and Overlord, which is - I assume, forgive me if I am incorrect - what got you to jump on the DLC train in the first place.

I want to point ou that Zaeed and the Hammerhead missions were entirely free. That's not a ton, but it is something.

More, BioWare isn't exclusively in charge of this stuff. Keep in mind that they serve a different master, now.

Of course, a big problem is that the DLC BioWare makes is good. It is so good. I played Lair of the Shadow Broker on release (Vangod4lyfe, son! Play Insanity urryday) and also wished desperately that much of the content on display here had been in the first game. It's just not possible, though, not really. Producing it still costs money - money like asset creation, hiring the voice actors to return for more lines, etc. - and that money has to be recouped somehow. Whether or not their prices are strictly equitable is up for debate, but that they charge for it is inoffensive to me.