By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic Center

mhsillen said:
Scoobes said:
mhsillen said:
Scoobes said:

Way to blow things out of proportion, kinda like the media. Firstly, 1.5 billion people in the World are muslim, yet you let the actions of a few extremists symbolise the entire population. Secondly, it's 2 blocks away from the site. It's hardly replacing the twin towers. Why is this such a big issue. People need to learn to seperate terrorists and extremists with the vast majority of muslims and Islam.

You did not say what percent of 1.5 billion are terrorists.  Itsalot

they hide in mosques amid the peacful

And you ignore the symbolism of the  towers being replaced by a mosque and the feelings of most americans

its like you don't give a shit as long as you appear tolerant

you can't see that?

I would think differantly if the peaceful majority did not put up with the hateful minority 

Personally I think you have a weird idea of muslims in the world. Tell me, what percentage of muslims are terrorists? And then how you came to that figure? And if it came from a news source how did they work that out? It's not like you can go around asking people is it?

It's not to do with worrying about being tolerant. You seem to believe everything you read and are basing your views on hype and scandal that quite simply blows the picture completely out of the water. A good proportion of my friends are muslim, they do not hide in mosques pretending to be peaceful.In fact they're the most peaceful people I know (even though we have disagreements about a range of issues).

And I did cover the sybolism issue... it shouldn't be an issue. It's not replacing the twin towers, it's 2 blocks away. You have a constituition for a reason, but you think "feelings" should dictate when you apply it?

Thats like saying all my friends have a PS3 to prove no one is buying an xbox 

Which bit? 

I'm going to assume its me talking about my own experience with muslims, but so far its better than any of your experiences which seem to be ripped straight out of Fox "News".

And would you like to give me a percentage of muslims that are terrorists like I asked? Or shall I just assume you believe everything the right wing media spoon feeds you?

Around the Network

Yeah he definitely has huge cajones. He did not have to get involved, he knew he would make him a target of criticism, but he ignored all that to stand up for what's right. Clearly this falls under freedom of religion if the land is private property and obtained legally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

mhsillen said:
Scoobes said:
mhsillen said:

Do you know what would happen to my son who is gay,in alot of those countries?

This is fact not fiction

It is firmly help fundamental beliefs they are born with and they bring them to this country also

Certain areas of America are the same, except its Christian "values".

And like I said before, why are you comparing America to these countries? The whole point is that America isn't like that, and the building of this Mosque is proof of that. Now there may be plenty wrong with the States, but credit where credit is due.

your right

the only thing is true Christian values according to the bible do not hate anybody or do harm to them

....and that's different in Islam how?

superchunk said:
mhsillen said:

Do you know what would happen to my son who is gay,in alot of those countries?

This is fact not fiction

It is firmly help fundamental beliefs they are born with and they bring them to this country also

LOL in a lot of those countries? What happens to him here? I know its not a bowl full of cherries. Let's talk marriage.

Face it, there are ignorant people all over this world that prescribe to every faith. Difference is you only perceive one of these groups as an enemy (odd considering the Chrstian right stance on your son).

As for you number of 'muslim' terrorists, you said it was a lot of the total, yet you only figure its .5%? That's contradictory and makes no sense. I was assuming you meant more like greater than 1/2 of muslims were terrorist leaning. But, a 0.5% of Christianity could easily be fitted with that same definition of extreamism. Just that they live in powerful nations and don't need to blow themselves up and so on to get attention. They can far easier attack abortion clinics, doctors, gays, etc, etc.

As for being raised, not born, with these extreamist beleifs and bringing them to this country, that is good. Because this country will have mosques with normal teachers to begin to change their beleifs. THat is why its important to allow mosques like this one to be built.

I choose to be tolerant but vigilent

and people are blind if they think extremists do not outright laugh at this

ANd those who think they are tolerant are intolerant of those who disagree with this

It seems like freedom of religion doesn't not extend to muslims.

I personally don't care if it's there or not but these citizens have the right to build this center.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.- the first amendment

This right gives power to both sides. The right is given to build an islamic center on the grounds of a Burlington Coat Factory and to the protesters who want a Mcdonalds built there instead.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

SmokedHostage said:

I personally don't care if it's there or not but these citizens have the right to build this center.

They have 30 mosques in NYC what are you referring to?

Some here would not like it if they built a baptist church on the site but will bend over backwards to except this?

mhsillen said:
SmokedHostage said:

Some here would not like it if they built a baptist church on the site but will bend over backwards to except this?

Like who? If they wanted to build a baptist church and did it legally then who would care? Why should they care?

This mosque is no different.

mhsillen said:

I choose to be tolerant but vigilent

and people are blind if they think extremists do not outright laugh at this

ANd those who think they are tolerant are intolerant of those who disagree with this

Problem is your stance against this is only fueling their legitimacy to others within their group. If this had never been an issue then no one of any point of view would have said anything. BUt, since so many people have spoken out against this, the extreamists can point to this when they try to pursued more to join their cause. They can say 'see, US is attacking Islam and you should join me'.

There is nothing to gain by attacking an obvious peaceful movement of Islam.

Scoobes said:
mhsillen said:
SmokedHostage said:

Like who? If they wanted to build a baptist church and did it legally then who would care? Why should they care?

This mosque is no different.

Well not you then