By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic Center

Lostplanet22 said:
kaneada said:

I think its a great idea to build a Mosque near ground zero. I am certain in the thousands of people who died some of the people were Muslim and lets face facts we need to unify this country under the idea that we tolerate and accept the beliefs and way of life of others. Isn't that what America is supposed to be?

Wasn't America supposed to be an big supporter of freedom of speech but showed the world it is throwing it away? (Aka South Park episode) tolerance should come frome both sides not one;..otherwise you get situations like in Europe where people get beating, killed simply for giving some critic against the islam..;.

Just because one party is being ignorant and intolerant, we as Americans shouldn't throw our values out the window and stoop to their level. We should lead by example and continue to do what is right.

Around the Network
mhsillen said:
deskpro2k3 said:
mhsillen said:
deskpro2k3 said:

This is not real news.

Why would the implications not be real news?

are you not curious of human behavior? 

The media in America like to blow things out of proportion. To me this is like another drama story about Chelsea Clinton wedding falling on the same day of that other girl's wedding just up the block.

There are more serious issues the media wont show you.

This isn't a wedding

This is the president endorsing the building of a religious complex in a country that has a separation of church and state on every other religion. And from this religion a faction blew up and killed 3000 people.

Yes this is news not a head in the sand moment. 

The twin towers for some were a symbol of sorts for this country and now being replaced by the symbol of the destructors

Thats not news?

man i really don't know how to aprouch this but here go's?

ok first it wasn't the religion that did it? it was a group of misguided people much like in the chrtistian faith who have been misguided for yr's. i don't want to go to the extremes and compare September 11th to something more or just as sinister. 

it's the inturpitation of religion and the words are always being twisted mostly in religion to justify something and the holy war proves my point so jihad did it not religion.

Scoobes said:
mhsillen said:
deskpro2k3 said:
mhsillen said:
deskpro2k3 said:

This is not real news.

The media in America like to blow things out of proportion. To me this is like another drama story about Chelsea Clinton wedding falling on the same day of that other girl's wedding just up the block.

This isn't a wedding

This is the president endorsing the building of a religious complex in a country that has a separation of church and state on every other religion. And from this religion a faction blew up and killed 3000 people.

The twin towers for some were a symbol of sorts for this country and now being replaced by the symbol of the destructors

Thats not news?

Way to blow things out of proportion, kinda like the media. Firstly, 1.5 billion people in the World are muslim, yet you let the actions of a few extremists symbolise the entire population. Secondly, it's 2 blocks away from the site. It's hardly replacing the twin towers. Why is this such a big issue. People need to learn to seperate terrorists and extremists with the vast majority of muslims and Islam.

You did not say what percent of 1.5 billion are terrorists.  Itsalot

they hide in mosques amid the peacful

And you ignore the symbolism of the  towers being replaced by a mosque and the feelings of most americans

its like you don't give a shit as long as you appear tolerant

you can't see that?

I would think differantly if the peaceful majority did not put up with the hateful minority 

mhsillen said:
deskpro2k3 said:
mhsillen said:
deskpro2k3 said:

This is not real news.

This isn't a wedding

Thats not news?

perfect example right here folks.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Why close your eyes to things

The catholic church got a free pass when they had a secret pact with the Nazi's

Even though individual priests ended up being hero's

Bad things are done by people

don't ignore it, you have to think about it

Around the Network
mhsillen said:

And you ignore the symbolism of the  towers being replaced by a mosque and the feelings of most americans

you can't see that?

I would think differantly if the peaceful majority did not put up with the hateful minority 

No, the % of muslims fitting in with these extreamist groups is no where near a lot of the total Muslim population. The Imam or leader of this new mosque is known to be against these extreamists teachings, so if anything that's the brand of Islam we want to nurture, not attack.

The mosque is not replacing the towers. That's just stupid. Its relatively near the site not on it or even next door and its not going to be a skyscraper. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Also, its not that the peaceful majority is putting up with the minority, its that the minority lives in areas where the powers in control agree with them. THerefore there is no possibility of speaking out and fixing the situation. Otherwise they'd be killed. Living conditions in these nations is completely opposite of the freedoms we enjoy in the US. The majority cannot come out and tell the ruler and their religious institution they are wrong.

deskpro2k3 said:
mhsillen said:
deskpro2k3 said:
mhsillen said:
deskpro2k3 said:

This is not real news.

This isn't a wedding

Thats not news?

perfect example right here folks.

It's nice to be young an tolerant when you don't have to worry about consequence 

When appearance is more important than reality

superchunk said:
mhsillen said:

you can't see that?

No, the % of muslims fitting in with these extreamist groups is no where near a lot of the total Muslim population. The Imam or leader of this new mosque is known to be against these extreamists teachings, so if anything that's the brand of Islam we want to nurture, not attack.

The mosque is not replacing the towers. That's just stupid. Its relatively near the site not on it or even next door and its not going to be a skyscraper. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Also, its not that the peaceful majority is putting up with the minority, its that the minority lives in areas where the powers in control agree with them. THerefore there is no possibility of speaking out and fixing the situation. Otherwise they'd be killed. Living conditions in these nations is completely opposite of the freedoms we enjoy in the US. The majority cannot come out and tell the ruler and their religious institution they are wrong.

What percent

You seem to know

What is a half of 1 percent of 1.5 billion?

Do you know what would happen to my son who is gay,in alot of those countries?

This is fact not fiction

It is firmly help fundamental beliefs they are born with and they bring them to this country also

mhsillen said:
Scoobes said:

Way to blow things out of proportion, kinda like the media. Firstly, 1.5 billion people in the World are muslim, yet you let the actions of a few extremists symbolise the entire population. Secondly, it's 2 blocks away from the site. It's hardly replacing the twin towers. Why is this such a big issue. People need to learn to seperate terrorists and extremists with the vast majority of muslims and Islam.

you can't see that?

Personally I think you have a weird idea of muslims in the world. Tell me, what percentage of muslims are terrorists? And then how you came to that figure? And if it came from a news source how did they work that out? It's not like you can go around asking people is it?

It's not to do with worrying about being tolerant. You seem to believe everything you read and are basing your views on hype and scandal that quite simply blows the picture completely out of the water. A good proportion of my friends are muslim, they do not hide in mosques pretending to be peaceful.In fact they're the most peaceful people I know (even though we have disagreements about a range of issues).

And I did cover the sybolism issue... it shouldn't be an issue. It's not replacing the twin towers, it's 2 blocks away. You have a constituition for a reason, but you think "feelings" should dictate when you apply it?