By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mummelmann said:
Barozi said:

A few of the DKCR predictions here are pretty funny.

I think it will clearly be the best Wii game of the 2nd half, but will hardly manage to sell more than 4m LTD. And given that Wii games, especially casual Wii games have good legs, I doubt DKCR will even break 2m for this year. HW wise only a minimal bump.

Same goes for Kirby and Epic Mickey, with the exception that they will most likely sell only about half as much as DKCR.

4 million? Sounds a tad short, but who knows? Its hardly a NSMBWii at any rate. Then again, what is?

I wanted to say 3 million at first....

Around the Network

DKCR should sell less than 2M and wii HW will be down by about 70% this year.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

tyig said:

Even some ps3 fanboys prefer the 360 on top than the Wii, funny.

Why is that funny? After all, 360 is much more like ps3 than the wii is.

Nintendogamer said:

DKCR should sell less than 2M and wii HW will be down by about 70% this year.

If for the rest of the year the Wii would sell ZERO units your prediction still wouldn't happen.

Nintendogamer said:

Wii back in 3rd above PS3. Seems to be up in USA.

But the the wii is doomed remember.  

Congratulations Xbox360, you managed to turn it around.
The ps3 I think has one more month, before it starts get interesting (when did the slim launch last year?)

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Nintendogamer said:

The ps3 I think has one more month, before it starts get interesting (when did the slim launch last year?)

1st September in NA and Europe, 3rd September in Japan, Australia and NZ. Although some stores in NA sold it earlier. In 4 weeks things will be interesting for the PS3 YOY.

Acevil said:
Nintendogamer said:

It'll lose about 600k-800k in September depending on the impact that move and the SKU shift in America has. October will be flat or marginally down depending on what Sony does in PAL and then the holidays are dependent on what happens in PAL in October and GT5. I suspect November and the holidays will be up if there's a price cut in PAL.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Mummelmann said:

And the PS3 had a legion of system sellers? Besides, FFXIII (a sequel, which won't have an impact according to your logic) there really isn't much in the way of system sellers at all this year (so far). FFXIII and Galaxy 2 are roughly on par as system sellers as I see it and both the Wii and PS3 got price cuts at almost the same time last year, yet the Wii keeps falling the PS3 is massively up. They are on equal grounds as it stands, with the main difference being that the PS3 still costs 50% more than the Wii, what does this tell you?

Its not a crisis, there's no reason to fret over numbers, I sinply wish that people would stop blaming the Wii's decline on lack of system sellers and realize that it is due to the nature of the product itself and a direct consequnce of Nintendo's strategy this gen. Like I said; the PS3 has not had a stellar year in terms of software at all, mainly sequels and then one big hit in FFXIII, which is easily countered, like I said, by Galaxy 2.

GAH! Had a huge response for the bolded typed up, and Vista BSOD's on me.

Okay, basically, I think you're wrong. Even if Galaxy 2 and FFXIII were even (they're not, SMG2 being a sequel hurts it big time, look how much hardware it moved in Japan), that's far from the only PS3 game released. I don't actually know why you'd say the PS3 has not had a stellar year so far, when it has had one of its best yet (maybe on par with 08). Check out the top games released in the year so far:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Nintendo
11 3,442,566 3,442,566
God of War III (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment
21 2,848,914 2,848,914
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
Square Enix
34 2,457,191 4,209,436
Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
Take-Two Interactive
12 2,335,720 2,335,720
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)
Electronic Arts
23 1,732,674 1,732,674
Heavy Rain (PS3)
25 1,392,405 1,392,405
MAG: Massive Action Game (PS3)
28 886,893 886,893
2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (PS3)
Electronic Arts
15 833,620 833,620
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (PS3)
Take-Two Interactive
17 782,348 782,348
Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)
Capcom
15 729,661 729,661
BioShock 2 (PS3)
Take-Two Interactive
26 715,937 715,937
  (~8 more omitted PS3 games)      
Wii Party (Wii)
Nintendo
5 611,062 611,062
Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)
Capcom
54 560,346 1,555,186

The PS3 games at the top are not only IP's the console has never seen yet, but they're games from all different genres, appealing to all different types of gamers. That is a damn good Jan-Aug lineup, if you'd ask me.

The Wii is mainly selling on its old lineup, which was fine early 2009 because Wii Sports / Fit / MK hadn't saturated yet, but... clearly, it has reached its limit as of late. New Super Mario Bros Wii can only take it so far, especially when the HD consoles got its own biggest seller in the same time period (MW2). The Wii's 2010 holiday lineup is great, so its sales should be fine in the Nov-Dec period (assuming the games do well), though if Nintendo has another drought early 2011, I can see the Wii being in (real) trouble. Zelda Wii should end up holding its own better than Galaxy 2, though.

Seece said:
Cheebee said:

Wii not behind both HD consoles anymore? Ah well, I'm sure it's still domed.

Well done, 360. If these sales keep up, they might outsell Nintendo in a year or 30.

You're just coming across as bitter.

Oh but I am. Very bitter. *Grumble grumble*

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Mummelmann said:
Metallicube said:

Again, people going on about Wii decline YoY, look at the releases for 2010 so far, and tell me, are you honestly surprised? I don't know about you, but when looking at the line up for the greater part of this year, I already KNEW the console would be down YoY, the only question was by how much. Let's look at the big games released this year: Monster Hunter Tri, No More Heroes 2, Mario Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment, Endless Ocean: Blue World, Red Steel 2. 

Now be honest, do any of these titles look like system sellers to you? They are almost all sequels, and many are sequels to obscure core franchises with a limited fanbase. Now these might be good games, but they have a very limited appeal. The simple fact is Wii has not had ANY console movers so far this year. Thus, it has had to rely on NSMB Wii for nearly an entire year to carry it. Even a game as popular as that will eventually wear off. Nintendo went back to appeasing entirely the core gamer, but the trade off of this is that their sales suffer because they shift focus from the expanded audience, which accounted for much of their sales.

The games for this holiday, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Epic Mickey, Wii Party, Goldeneye, have much greater potential to move hardware, especially Donkey Kong. Why? For one, they are much more popular franchises/series. And second, many of these titles are expanded audience/bridge titles similar to Mario Kart, which will allow for far more sales. If thesee games don't move consoles, THEN I will start to wonder.

And the PS3 had a legion of system sellers? Besides, FFXIII (a sequel, which won't have an impact according to your logic) there really isn't much in the way of system sellers at all this year (so far). FFXIII and Galaxy 2 are roughly on par as system sellers as I see it and both the Wii and PS3 got price cuts at almost the same time last year, yet the Wii keeps falling the PS3 is massively up. They are on equal grounds as it stands, with the main difference being that the PS3 still costs 50% more than the Wii, what does this tell you?

Its not a crisis, there's no reason to fret over numbers, I sinply wish that people would stop blaming the Wii's decline on lack of system sellers and realize that it is due to the nature of the product itself and a direct consequnce of Nintendo's strategy this gen. Like I said; the PS3 has not had a stellar year in terms of software at all, mainly sequels and then one big hit in FFXIII, which is easily countered, like I said, by Galaxy 2.

And yet Wii is still outselling PS3..

And come on, you know as well as I do that Galaxy 2 is nowhere near FFXIII in terms of hype. and what about GoW 3? PS3's lineup this year has been stronger than Wii's so far. Not saying that PS3 has a bunch of system sellers, but Wii has not either.

I knew from the getgo Galaxy 2 would not be a system seller, and sure enough it wasn't. 3D Mario is nowhere near as big as 2D Mario, let alone a sequel to a 3D Mario game.

Wii's decline IS from a lack of system sellers... Why else do you think it would decline? Like I said, software is what moves hardware.