By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many PS3 games will break the 10 million sold barrier?

How many PS3 games will break the 10 million sold barrier?

0 0 0%

1 319 38.48%

2 203 24.49%

3 112 13.51%

4 44 5.31%

5 or more 151 18.21%

Total:829
sales2099 said:
COD that is all. GT5 will be a long shot

No for GT5 its already a given

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Around the Network
SnakeDrake said:
sales2099 said:

Ya in like 2 years.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
SnakeDrake said:
sales2099 said:

Ya in like 2 years.

The words "long shot" usually means close to impossible

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

SnakeDrake said:
sales2099 said:

How is it a given? If PS4 kills PS3 software sales, or GT5's sales start slowing down, it won't break 10 million. It's still got 1.6 million to go after this year is over, it's not a garentee without bundles.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
SnakeDrake said:
sales2099 said:

How is it a given? If PS4 kills PS3 software sales, or GT5's sales start slowing down, it won't break 10 million. It's still got 1.6 million to go after this year is over, it's not a garentee without bundles.

It's incredibly likely that GT5 is undertracked here, considering it had shipped almost 9.2 million units at the end of September. By end of March 2013, it's quite possible shipments will have surpassed 10 million and if there was excess inventory around, it'd eventually be sold for buttons to ensure it's moved.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
SnakeDrake said:
sales2099 said:

Shipped eventually=sold and shipments are currently only 800k short. And it shipped 1.8 million in the first 9 months of this year.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

sales2099 said:

GTA4 is ~550k off the target. It will hit 10 Million next Year.

GTA5 will hit it relatively easily. Will do CoD-like numbers.

GT5 will have hit the number by this time next Year, if not sooner. Its quite clearly undertracked on VGChartz and had shipped 9.2 Million units in SEPTEMBER.

postofficebuddy said:
Michael-5 said:
SnakeDrake said:
sales2099 said:

Shipped eventually=sold and shipments are currently only 800k short. And it shipped 1.8 million in the first 9 months of this year.

Oh it really shipped that many units this year? I knew it sold over a million according to VGC, but 2 million shipped is quite a bit.

Still 1 million to go, with PS4 just around the corner, there is still a chance GT5 won't break 10 million. Kudos though to Polyphony. I wonder, if there was a Gran Turismo 6 on PS3, would GT5 have done anywhere nearly as well?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Carl2291 said:
sales2099 said:

GTA4 is ~550k off the target. It will hit 10 Million next Year.

GTA5 will hit it relatively easily. Will do CoD-like numbers.

GT5 will have hit the number by this time next Year, if not sooner. Its quite clearly undertracked on VGChartz and had shipped 9.2 Million units in SEPTEMBER.

That may or might not happen. A lot of games released now either sell less then their prequels or will likely sell less then their prequels (e.g. Halo 4/Reach won't get Halo 3 numbers, Super Mario Galaxy 2 came nowhere close to Galaxy 1's numbers, Black Ops 2 will likely fall short of Modern Warfare 3, etc).

The market is quite saturated with games after a 7 year generation, but it has been nearly 4 years since GTAIV? It could sell as well as GTA IV, maybe even faster too, but I doubt it with the PS4 coming soon and the market so saturated.

But you never know, while I was spot on right in believing GT5 won't sell 9 million units by the end of 2012, it will likely break 10 million, which I was wrong about. GTA V could have crazy legs in 3 years, like GTA:SA, you never know.

I think saturation can be attributed to CoD and SMG.

GTA is a franchise that sells better with a larger userbase. Its a casual game really. Even when next gen launches GTA will sell like crazy... I think all you have to do is look at the difference in userbase.

When GTA4 launched the PS3 was sitting at 12 Million consoles.
When GTA5 launches the PS3 will be sitting at what, ~74 Million?

62 Million more PS3s on the market. Not as many will be picking up 2nd hand...

Wouldnt be surprised to see it push 10M in 2013 alone. Yep. I said it