By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Please learn to be civil

I had actually been considering posting about this as well. I know that a year of "Wii will somehow fail, despite its obvious success!" that it can become easy to simply beat down people who are talking crap about the Wii system.

The problem I've been noticing is that some people are actually bringing up honest issues with the console and its games, and these are getting brushed aside and beaten down as well.

One of the most obvious examples I noticed was when someone posted pointing out the lack of multiplayer on MP3 and how it might have effected sales. The first half dozen or so posts basically brushed the guy off entirely.However, as can be seen from Halo and Gears of Wars and the like, it's obvious that there is a call for online multiplayer in FPS games. Nintendo may have lost numerous gamers who had been considering the game for the new control style, but chose not to stick with Halo since they felt the online gameplay was more important.

The object of any fan of any console should be to want the best for that console's success. This means not only supporting decisions that are questionable, but also accepting when mistakes have been made, so that they will not be repeated in the future.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:

One of the most obvious examples I noticed was when someone posted pointing out the lack of multiplayer on MP3 and how it might have effected sales. The first half dozen or so posts basically brushed the guy off entirely.However, as can be seen from Halo and Gears of Wars and the like, it's obvious that there is a call for online multiplayer in FPS games. Nintendo may have lost numerous gamers who had been considering the game for the new control style, but chose not to stick with Halo since they felt the online gameplay was more important.

The object of any fan of any console should be to want the best for that console's success. This means not only supporting decisions that are questionable, but also accepting when mistakes have been made, so that they will not be repeated in the future.

The objective fan of a console is already a fan for a reason. 

People didn't grow to love the Metroid series by the virtue of a great multiplayer aspect.  That isn't Metroid.  Metroid is the wonderful fun in exploring alien worlds and the sense of one person alone against an enormously hostile environment.  Retro Studios made the right choice, they focused on the core of what Metroid was rather than shoehorning it to be something is has never been.

None of this means that Metroid would be bad with multiplayer but Retro made the right decision to focus on the core gameplay.  I would much rather have a game with polished and well-developed core gameplay than one with adequate core gameplay and a tacked-on multiplayer which doesn't even really coincide with the spirit of the game.  You focus on what defines the game first then add extras. 

Fans of the Metroid series understand these points.  Fans of Nintendo like the fact that Nintendo manages to innovate and produce amazing games while staying true to the spirit of the franchises they have nurtured throughout the years.

I don't want to go too far off topic, and Words of Wisdom already said most of what I would want to say on that subject. But I'll just add that fans of Metroid want Metroid to be the best single player experience that it can be, and we don't care how many other people buy the game. More people may want to buy Halo 3 for multiplayer goodness, and that's fine, and it doesn't make Metroid a worse game.

RolStoppable said:
Is this thread a reaction to my new avatar?

Don't worry Bod, I am not going to troll the boards anymore than before, I just look more bad ass now.

As your avatar is of Kim possible, Im afraid it is impossible for it to be badass no matter how dark it is.

Edit: *Reads the topic hes saying this in*

Umm.. Didnt mean it Rol =P 

RolStoppable said:
Rath, don't forget that she can do anything.

Impossible!

Around the Network

Everyone in support of this proposed new direction! Cheers!

In depth discussions, greatly opposing views, but please stay civil, respectful and polite.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

yes lets keep things civil

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

This is a great proposal, but it won't work if you think about it. Most people that like to troll and grief on forums aren't really reasonable people. Thus, your proposal will fall on deaf ears imo. Still, like I said, the idea of civility is great, but the posters that go around starting or feeding flame wars aren't gonna read the op and make any sense out of it.

VAMP said:
This is a great proposal, but it won't work if you think about it. Most people that like to troll and grief on forums aren't really reasonable people. Thus, your proposal will fall on deaf ears imo. Still, like I said, the idea of civility is great, but the posters that go around starting or feeding flame wars aren't gonna read the op and make any sense out of it.

I'm not expecting to turn this place in to a wonder land of happiness; I totally agree that lots of people will go right back to their old behaviors. I do think, however, that this can have a small affect on many of us. I certainly get too riled up at times; I'm sure others feel the same way. Just an occassional reminder to be friendly and nice can go a long way. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

there will always be trolls, and there will always be heated debates, the important part is to remind people that would listen to this thread to not get dragged into a debate with someone who is doing nothing more than trolling.
Most people that troll don't actually believe any of what they say, they just know it'll get a reaction from people. Their posts are typically crafted purely for this purpose and the only time that a troll is really beaten is when their post is completely overlooked and ignored. Most trolls are actually very easy to recognize, but for some reason, people still can't help but respond to them.
Sounds corny as hell, but lets face it, this isn't real life, all anyone can do is type and anything they type can be ignored.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her