By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda: Western RPG “More Realistic” Than JRPGs

Bethesda: Western RPG “More Realistic” Than JRPGs

i agree 148 57.14%

i disagree 49 18.92%

bethesda, lol. oblivion was crap 62 23.94%

Total:259

It’s east versus west again in the showdown between western developed rpgs and their Japanese counterparts. Recently, Bioware co-founder Greg Zeschuk shared his views on why he believes jrps have become stagnant and have lost their appeal.  Now Bethesda has tossed their 2 cents into the debate.

Todd Howard’s, executive producer at Bethesda, interview with Inside Games, a Japanese gaming web site:

In terms of the RPG genre, you guys do a fantastic job and a lot of the western developers are leading that charge now; maybe Japan is a little weaker in that area.

Final Fantasy XIII is selling pretty well, but it seems whether it’s you or BioWare, or Peter Molyneux with the Fable series, there’s just a really strong western RPG presence.

Do have any thoughts on the state of the Japanese RPGs? Do you play them personally?

I don’t. I look at them. Artistically, I think they’re really, really good.

I’ve never been one to draw lines, though I think it’s easier in this case to say, “these are the western and these are the eastern ones.” I think, by and large, if you look at Japanese games, overall their mindset is way more fantastical, even if it’s not an RPG.

Personally for me, sometimes I like that and sometimes I have a hard time wrapping my hands around it. A western game… again I’m generalizing, they’re more realistic.

Even if it’s post-apocalyptic America Fallout, there’s this filter on it: well, this could really be happening. It’s got this somewhat of a suspension of disbelief, even when we do fantasy stuff.

If you compare the sci-fi in Mass Effect to the science fiction in a million Japanese games, it just gets really, really out there. I think the two sensibilities break down more like that.

..Because flaming dogs falling from the sky ( a quest found in Fallout 2)  and giant ants that breathe fire by expelling flammable venom from their venom sacks, then igniting it with a spark made by clicking their mandibles( also in Fallout 2) is ultra-realistic, isn’t it?

No one game is realistic. That’s why they’re called games. Oh and did I mention that during the same interview, Mr. Howard called Rockstar’s Western Sandbox game, Red Dead Redemption “a great RPG”.

Link 1/ 2 NSFW 

Inside Games

Around the Network

absolutely! which is why I hate them... WRPG's look like a bad cosplay convention

I know, right.

Super Mutants running around a city wearing dresses and growing to dizzy heights while also screaming at you and trying to shoot you/rip your insides out is super realistic.

yes, its a fairly accurate statement

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

If I want realism, I wouldn't be playing video games.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

I know, right.

Super Mutants running around a city wearing dresses and growing to dizzy heights while also screaming at you and trying to shoot you/rip your insides out is super realistic.

/ thread

One thing is good

NOWHERE did he actually insult JRPG's, in fact he even said he liked that aspect of JRPG's on a personal level.

Respect to the dev at Bethesda. (who made the best WRPG this gen, Oblivion)

@akibafan

Your poll sucks and anyone who voted for Oblivion sucking is just wrong!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

developers should not be striving for realism in their games.. it sort of defeats the purpose of ehat games are suppose to represent.

darthdevidem01 said:
Carl2291 said:

I know, right.

/ thread

One thing is good

NOWHERE did he actually insult JRPG's, in fact he even said he liked that aspect of JRPG's on a personal level.

Respect to the dev at Bethesda. (who made the best WRPG this gen, Oblivion)

@akibafan

Your poll sucks and anyone who voted for Oblivion sucking is just wrong!

Oblivion was awesome just to claify that I was NOT bashing Bethesda.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

darthdevidem01 said:

anyone who voted for Oblivion sucking is just wrong!

Anyone who voted for anything else than 'Oblivion sucks' is just wrong!

See what I did there? See?

Anyway, sounds mostly true. Still, I couldn't help voting for Oblivion sucking instead of agreeing. So many things right, then so many things wrong too. So much wasted potential. At least mods help the game a lot.

i wonder if you had seletected "bethesda:  jrpgs "more fanastical" than wrpgs"  as a title would you have got so many pissy posts..of course, your clearly pissy poll didnt help any either...

its obvious the guy wasnt trying to be insulting.  but its clear that some peoples fanboy reflexes are seemingly impervious to common sense.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur