By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda: Western RPG “More Realistic” Than JRPGs

Bethesda: Western RPG “More Realistic” Than JRPGs

i agree 148 57.14%

i disagree 49 18.92%

bethesda, lol. oblivion was crap 62 23.94%

Total:259

Fight fight!

Oh well, I'll just say this. It is more likely that we will someday see those bald space marines than we would see little 13 year old twerps weilding a sword which outweighs them by 100lbs killing soldiers with guns.

Around the Network

Wow, Khuutra. I'm amazed how you've managed to keep your arguments so coherent and well-thought out. I get your point and whole-heartedly agree with you... even if other people have missed it. I was planning to post something more substantial but you pretty much said everything that needed to be said, lol.

Khuutra is entirely right. To reiterate; the assertion is that, as a norm, Japanese fiction is not bound by Western precepts of (loosely expressed) 'epistemic rationality'. That's all. No one (be it Khuutra or the Bethesda developer) ever made an attempt at a qualitative value judgement as regards the nature of 'good' Sci-Fi.

And as mentioned, there are plenty of examples to the contrary of these general trends. For example, Roald Dahl's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an example of a Western work that actively makes fun of the concept of this 'epistemic rationality' (and, it goes without saying, is no lesser for it).

I must agree with Khuutra too, I get his points. I'd add that Star Trek and the Japanese aren't by any means devoid of coherence, but they focus on coherence on things different from tech and science, mainly politics and sociology instead, where coherence doesn't deny evolution of their worlds, obviously. Star Trek is all about relations amongst different civilizations, while the Japanese often transfer some aspects of their culture and society into their fictional environments and sense of honour is of the essence, although it doesn't follow the same rules we are used to in the West, we are used to associate honour to Roman, German, Celtic, etc warriors before Christ and after him to medieval knights, XVIII century aristocrats, XIX century officers and their strict code of honour and finally, in our age, esprit de corps, while the Japanese immediately link honour concept to their own society, with samurai, the old feudal society and the fact that it ended much later and in a quite forced and sudden way, so that a lot of its values were transferred anyway, although adapted and modified, but still recognizable, into their modern society.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Its true.. JRPG's... are more fantasy... with people prancing around wearing strange clothes... and everyone is GREAT looking... nobody is ugly... oh yeah and you take turns punching each other in fights LOL

JRPG fans gone wild/thread

All gaming systems, consoles/PC, have thier perks... why fight over preferences? I like Coke and you like Pepsi, that's it, let's not fight over which toy we like best cause that's what they are. Is someone's preference in a toy important or is the relationship between you and your neighbor more important? Answer is obvious, but THE most important thing is your relationship with God almighty. God Bless you in Jesus's name.

I can communicate without talking... I can send a loved one money without actually sending money... and I can commit theft without the product disappearing, the point of theft is the point of theft not one of it's possible symptoms which is the product dissappearing. The thief wants to gain something without paying for it, that's the point of theft, the thief doesn't have to care or anybody else has to care if the product dissappears. The product dissappearing is just a possible symptom of theft. Gifts are sacrfices, in order to give a gift, it has to be a genuine sacrfice/gift, meaning a copy of the game isn't still in your PC. Piracy is theft and/or being a culprit of theft.

Around the Network

Khuutra just slayed all the nay sayers. end thread.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!