By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda: Western RPG “More Realistic” Than JRPGs

Bethesda: Western RPG “More Realistic” Than JRPGs

i agree 148 57.14%

i disagree 49 18.92%

bethesda, lol. oblivion was crap 62 23.94%

Total:259

Just to be clear I LOVE JRPGs and rarely play any WRPGs.  But JRPGs fans annoy me.

Around the Network

This guys obviously reffering to Mass Effect and Fable, but definitly Mass Efffect, no doubt about that. personally i think that the lead character in ME (Jack Shepard) seems very blande and is an atypical american comic book hero without much real depth. they do the right thing because they script is written that they do. i imagine many of WRPG characters are designed in the same vien as comic book heros, all written the same way, all designed to be perfect without flaws.

comparatively i think that the characters in JRPGS (especailly FF12), are more diverse and more conflicted individuals, there put into situations where their personalities evolve over the course of the game and their forced to develop relationships with people they dont know, very realistic imo. compared to WRPGs.

A203D said:

This guys obviously reffering to Mass Effect and Fable, but definitly Mass Efffect, no doubt about that. personally i think that the lead character in ME (Jack Shepard) seems very blande and is an atypical american comic book hero without much real depth. they do the right thing because they script is written that they do. i imagine many of WRPG characters are designed in the same vien as comic book heros, all written the same way, all designed to be perfect without flaws.

comparatively i think that the characters in JRPGS (especailly FF12), are more diverse and more conflicted individuals, there put into situations where their personalities evolve over the course of the game and their forced to develop relationships with people they dont know, very realistic imo. compared to WRPGs.

i take it you havent played either mass effect or fable.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

He's saying that fantastical elements in WRPGs tend to be more "grounded" than equivalent elements in JRPGs. He brings up Mass Effect because it has one principle - the titular Mass Effect - which doesn't fit our current understanding of physics. Everything else is very seriously researched and painstakingly crafted to be realistic within a science fiction setting. It's not hard science, exactly, but it's as close as you can get with FTL travel. Everything in the game's universe, from its AI dynamics to its doomsday scenarios to the logistics of interstellar war isn't realistic so much as it is plausible and justified.

I can't think of any sci-fi JRPG that goes to the same lengths to make its sci-fi elements grounded in reality.

There's nothing wrong with what this guy is saying.

None of them are realistic. But I can tell you which one is better.

But i'll save that for another time. :)

Around the Network
Machina said:

'i agree'
'bethesda, lol. oblivion was crap'

<< *wants to annoy Darth*

fixed

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Machina said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Machina said:

'i agree'

fixed

Wow, you like Oblivion as well? I wonder if there's anything we both really like...

{flicks through Machina's game ratings}

{Pukes after seeing his MGS4 score}

AHA...we both like Uncharted 2 and I gave it a 9.3 you gave it a 9.2

HOORAY!

Wagram said:

None of them are realistic. But I can tell you which one is better.

But i'll save that for another time. :)

The point isn't that they're more realistic, but that they're more grounded, as I said above. And saying that about WRPGs is not wrong.

Machina said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Machina said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Machina said:

'i agree'

fixed

Wow, you like Oblivion as well? I wonder if there's anything we both really like...

{flicks through Machina's game ratings}

{Pukes after seeing his MGS4 score}

AHA...we both like Uncharted 2 and I gave it a 9.3 you gave it a 9.2

HOORAY!

That's what I gave it for VGC, not my personal rating.

Next...

ohhh so you were the one that did that Uncharted 2 review where everyone was against the score being "only" 9.2

Anyway next:

{Check's DS collection....LOL hardly any JRPG's...lololol @ Machina for not buying the best games on it}

{Checks xbox 360...for multiplats....}

AHA Read Dead Redemption!!!!!!!!

You gave it a 9.1....I'm gonna give it a 9.3

Finally a game we both like!

darth. Don't bring up that shocking 9.2 score ever again.

VGC are such trolls and 360 fanboys. Especially on the forum! I really think i need to leave this site, and go to somewhere more stable... And bias free.

Somewhere like N4G. Or the PlayStation Blog.

"That's what I gave it for VGC, not my personal rating."

That quote is interesting though