By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will outsell the 360 in about 3 years

Mr Puggsly said:

But who would have guessed there would be so much interest in a Xbox 360 slim? Not only has it boosted sales significantly, but its been dominating both the PS3 and Wii. And it did it wihtout a $100 price cut like the PS3 slim. Safe bet we'll see a boost for the Arcade Slim, Reach, and Kinect as well.

I don't see anything too bright in the PS3's future personally. Maybe more sequels, some Move games, what else could they have? Ultimately, we don't know what Sony and MS is planning in the long run. But in the near future, MS is looking great. I mean for the same price as a PS3, people can get a Arcade Slim Kinect Kinect Adventures. Not a bad deal at all.

I think the 360 has plenty of room for price cuts as well. They've been making a profit off their hardware for years. My guess is the PS3 and both 360 models will go down $50 in 2011.

I doubt GT5 will sell more consoles than Reach. Also, it would be difficult tell. I mean Reach is gonna sell 5 million on week one, so we'll see a big console boost for a few weeks there. GT sales will be spread out. I think it'll do 2 - 3 million on week one. Also, racing sales have been slumping outside of Mario Kart. While shooter sales have been breaking records on the 360. So we'll have to wait and see.

You could say the exact same thing about the 360's future. Some sequels, some Kinect games. What else do they have? Thye have the Arcade slim, but that likely won't push much hardware considering most most people wanting a slim probably already bought it.

Yeah, but the PS3's price cuts will probably have more impact considering it's more expensive.

I seriously don't see how Reach will move more consoles than GT5. If someone is a halo fan, why wouldn't they already have a 360. Why would Reach finally push them over the edge. Halo 3 and ODST got mass awareness. Anyone who didn't buy a 360 to play them most likely won't buy a 360 for Reach. People have yet to receive a Gran Turismo game for the PS3. Racing games were never known to sell very well. The only racing series that were known to sell very were 1.) Need 4 Speed 2.) Mario Kart and 3.) GT. Mario Kart is still selling very well. Need 4 Speed was milked to death so low sales were inevitable. As for Gran Turismo, every game has sold over 10 million, and there's nothing that shows that trend will change. 

If you look further into the future, you will notice that the PS3's lineup DEMOLISHES 360's lineup.  For 2011, so far PS3 has around 10 potential AAA scheduled for that year. The individual titles probably won't move consoles, but ALL of them together will most likely move consoles.

Also if you look at MOVE and Kinect. MOVE seems to be staying true to the PS3's install base by staying hardcore. If you look at Kinect, nearly all of the titles are casual and most of them are wii knockoffs. The 360 is seen as a hardcore console. Everyone knows that. IF you look at 360's commercials this fall, you'll probably see advertising for hardcore titles like Halo, fable, COD. Why would a soccer mom buy a HARDCORE console for her family. It's unlikely, especially considering CHEAPER and WELL - ESTABLISHED Wii. And you also have to consider the tons of videos that shows Kinect not functioning properly. Then, hardcore gamers stuck between buying a 360 and PS3 would probably buy a PS3 because of the overwhelming casual games for the 360. You also have to consider Blu Ray becoming more and more popular. Even some developers have  been complaining about the limits of DVD.

I honestly can't see the 360 having a brighter future then PS3. But, it's just my opinion.

Around the Network

So if the PS3 outsells the Xbox 360.... 8 freaking years after the generation started, that's a victory for Sony?

Cause I was kind of confused by the way all the fanboys screamed bloody murder that the 360 would die a painfull death shortly after release.  But since that didn't materialize then each year after that the battle cry has been "Xbox has nothing after this year," and lets not forget my favorite, "any moment now the PS3 will start outselling the 360 and overtake it by 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012... etc."

Don't get me wrong, I've changed my tune about PS3, I would love to own one, but you guys have got to stop with this crap.  Even if it does eventually outsell the 360 Microsoft has firmly planted themselves into the gaming industry and had great success. According to Sony fans from day one and back to the original X-box this would clearly never happen because the brand was doomed to fail.  I'm not seeing the fail.

haha this thread is amazing.

I personally agree with the thread title. I am loving the trolling, flaming, lol'ing, and zomfg'ing that is going on in here though.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

JPL78 said:

So if the PS3 outsells the Xbox 360.... 8 freaking years after the generation started, that's a victory for Sony?

Cause I was kind of confused by the way all the fanboys screamed bloody murder that the 360 would die a painfull death shortly after release.  But since that didn't materialize then each year after that the battle cry has been "Xbox has nothing after this year," and lets not forget my favorite, "any moment now the PS3 will start outselling the 360 and overtake it by 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012... etc."

Don't get me wrong, I've changed my tune about PS3, I would love to own one, but you guys have got to stop with this crap.  Even if it does eventually outsell the 360 Microsoft has firmly planted themselves into the gaming industry and had great success. According to Sony fans from day one and back to the original X-box this would clearly never happen because the brand was doomed to fail.  I'm not seeing the fail.

Who ever said it would be a victory for SONY? We all know Sony fucked up with the PS3. That's not the point in this thread , however. 

Jay520 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But who would have guessed there would be so much interest in a Xbox 360 slim? Not only has it boosted sales significantly, but its been dominating both the PS3 and Wii. And it did it wihtout a $100 price cut like the PS3 slim. Safe bet we'll see a boost for the Arcade Slim, Reach, and Kinect as well.

I don't see anything too bright in the PS3's future personally. Maybe more sequels, some Move games, what else could they have? Ultimately, we don't know what Sony and MS is planning in the long run. But in the near future, MS is looking great. I mean for the same price as a PS3, people can get a Arcade Slim Kinect Kinect Adventures. Not a bad deal at all.

I think the 360 has plenty of room for price cuts as well. They've been making a profit off their hardware for years. My guess is the PS3 and both 360 models will go down $50 in 2011.

I doubt GT5 will sell more consoles than Reach. Also, it would be difficult tell. I mean Reach is gonna sell 5 million on week one, so we'll see a big console boost for a few weeks there. GT sales will be spread out. I think it'll do 2 - 3 million on week one. Also, racing sales have been slumping outside of Mario Kart. While shooter sales have been breaking records on the 360. So we'll have to wait and see.

You could say the exact same thing about the 360's future. Some sequels, some Kinect games. What else do they have? Thye have the Arcade slim, but that likely won't push much hardware considering most most people wanting a slim probably already bought it.

Yeah, but the PS3's price cuts will probably have more impact considering it's more expensive.

I seriously don't see how Reach will move more consoles than GT5. If someone is a halo fan, why wouldn't they already have a 360. Why would Reach finally push them over the edge. Halo 3 and ODST got mass awareness. Anyone who didn't buy a 360 to play them most likely won't buy a 360 for Reach. People have yet to receive a Gran Turismo game for the PS3. Racing games were never known to sell very well. The only racing series that were known to sell very were 1.) Need 4 Speed 2.) Mario Kart and 3.) GT. Mario Kart is still selling very well. Need 4 Speed was milked to death so low sales were inevitable. As for Gran Turismo, every game has sold over 10 million, and there's nothing that shows that trend will change. 

If you look further into the future, you will notice that the PS3's lineup DEMOLISHES 360's lineup.  For 2011, so far PS3 has around 10 potential AAA scheduled for that year. The individual titles probably won't move consoles, but ALL of them together will most likely move consoles.

Also if you look at MOVE and Kinect. MOVE seems to be staying true to the PS3's install base by staying hardcore. If you look at Kinect, nearly all of the titles are casual and most of them are wii knockoffs. The 360 is seen as a hardcore console. Everyone knows that. IF you look at 360's commercials this fall, you'll probably see advertising for hardcore titles like Halo, fable, COD. Why would a soccer mom buy a HARDCORE console for her family. It's unlikely, especially considering CHEAPER and WELL - ESTABLISHED Wii. And you also have to consider the tons of videos that shows Kinect not functioning properly. Then, hardcore gamers stuck between buying a 360 and PS3 would probably buy a PS3 because of the overwhelming casual games for the 360. You also have to consider Blu Ray becoming more and more popular. Even some developers have  been complaining about the limits of DVD.

I honestly can't see the 360 having a brighter future then PS3. But, it's just my opinion.

I know you could say that about the 360 as well. But I'm not saying the 360 will have a brighter future. I'm just saying the near future looks great. Its hard to predict what both have planned in the long run.

But MS will always have the edge with the cheaper console. They can even throw in a Kinect and keep it at the same price as a PS3.

Well what pushes people to buy the Xbox 360 every day? Why didn't they buy them months or years ago for the release of some other game? All I can say is Halo Reach will boost console sales as did MW2. You think they would have already owned a 360 from MW1 or WaW, right?

Well GT 2 was just under 10 million. The PSP game is definitely under 10 million. I think GT5 could hit 10 million. But I still think Reach will see a bigger spike in console sales than GT5.

We don't even know what MS will have in the future. Nothing has been anounced other than Kinect games. Gears of War 3 is the only major game I can think of for 2011 and its gonna be epic (no pun intended). And to be honest, I'm more excited about the new Castlevania on XBLA than most games on any console. I'm sure MS will keep us busy with plenty of exclusives even if they have to buy them.

Don't play dumb, much of the Move's lineup is also for a casual audience. The few core games I see just have Move controls added. I don't know if you consider rail shooters core, because I don't.

I think the Xbox 360 will keep delivering what made me a fan of the console. I mean there will be more Gears, more Halo, and I anxiously await the next Mass Effect. I even play a lot of the games XBLA. You think the PS3 has a bright future because you're getting more of the same stuff you enjoy. Its the same story for us 360 fans.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Well I must say i'm glad he got banned...just gotta wonder who's alt that was.

OT: Its quite possible that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in 3 years.....but the OP's argument as to why it will is quite stupid.

Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I know you could say that about the 360 as well. But I'm not saying the 360 will have a brighter future. I'm just saying the near future looks great. Its hard to predict what both have planned in the long run.

But MS will always have the edge with the cheaper console. They can even throw in a Kinect and keep it at the same price as a PS3.

This is true.

Well what pushes people to buy the Xbox 360 every day? Why didn't they buy them months or years ago for the release of some other game? All I can say is Halo Reach will boost console sales as did MW2. You think they would have already owned a 360 from MW1 or WaW, right?

Well, I'm no expert at predictions, maybe you're right. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well GT 2 was just under 10 million. The PSP game is definitely under 10 million. I think GT5 could hit 10 million. But I still think Reach will see a bigger spike in console sales than GT5.

I forgot about GT3. It's still amazing considering GT3 & PS2 released the next year. 

We don't even know what MS will have in the future. Nothing has been anounced other than Kinect games. Gears of War 3 is the only major game I can think of for 2011 and its gonna be epic (no pun intended). And to be honest, I'm more excited about the new Castlevania on XBLA than most games on any console. I'm sure MS will keep us busy with plenty of exclusives even if they have to buy them.

This is True

Don't play dumb, much of the Move's lineup is also for a casual audience. The few core games I see just have Move controls added. I don't know if you consider rail shooters core, because I don't.

Yeah, but MOVE has some hardcore MOVE titles like The Fight, Sorcery, Kung Fu Rider, etc. Sony themselves said they wanted MOVE to be a hardcore controller.

I think the Xbox 360 will keep delivering what made me a fan of the console. I mean there will be more Gears, more Halo, and I anxiously await the next Mass Effect. I even play a lot of the games XBLA. You think the PS3 has a bright future because you're getting more of the same stuff you enjoy. Its the same story for us 360 fans.

A agree mostly. Both consoles will continue to offer great content, and it'll be interesting to see the "race" between the two.

PS3 outsellls 360 year to year?  Is that why they are still behind 360 ?  If they truely outsold them they would at least be slightly ahead.  PS3 had a decent year because they released their slim model and had a small price cut.  Now Xbox 360 has done the same and is also going to have another good year.  Debates like this are prety worthless, I say everyone in doubt go look for yourself and the books and net numbers at Forbes, wallstreet.  MS as whole made much more money, for the last 3 yrs 360 has added a net profit the the bottom line ( 38 million after bills from the Xbox division) and a recent article from wallstreet points out Sony's PC and Gaming division was completely in the red this year - Red means loss folks.  Why is MS netting a profit from 360? More games sold, and 20 Million Xbox Live members rakes in cash too..

$199 says way less than 3 years.

rf40928 said:

PS3 outsellls 360 year to year?  Is that why they are still behind 360 ?  If they truely outsold them they would at least be slightly ahead.  PS3 had a decent year because they released their slim model and had a small price cut.  Now Xbox 360 has done the same and is also going to have another good year.  Debates like this are prety worthless, I say everyone in doubt go look for yourself and the books and net numbers at Forbes, wallstreet.  MS as whole made much more money, for the last 3 yrs 360 has added a net profit the the bottom line ( 38 million after bills from the Xbox division) and a recent article from wallstreet points out Sony's PC and Gaming division was completely in the red this year - Red means loss folks.  Why is MS netting a profit from 360? More games sold, and 20 Million Xbox Live members rakes in cash too..

This is the irrelevant. This thread isn't about money made from either MS or Sony. I's about the amount of units their going to sell in the future.