By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will outsell the 360 in about 3 years

Lyrikalstylez said:
Jay520 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:

Almighty Sony? uh...  okay

So know you're talking about profits. I don't know the specifics of the cost of the PS3 and how much SONY loses on each PS3, so I won't get into that. Either way, PS3 is on its way on selling a lot IMO (although that would be bad for SONY since they're losing money).

Well Sony has lost about 5 billion since the launch of the PS3. And that's with PS2 and PSP sales since PS3 launch  included. God knows how much they really lost on the PS3 a lone. That's an unbelievable failure for a company that dominated the last two generations.

I do believe the PS3 is making a small profit for each unit sold now. But they'll never make much money on the PS3 units because of competition. All they can hope for is MS to keep console prices the same so they don't have retaliate with another price cut. The 360 has been making money for years, sales are great, so there is no need for them to cut prices unless Sony does.

Fine, SONY losing money and MS is making money. You're right.

Back on Topic: I think the PS3 will outsell the 360 eventually.

first thing.......yes

second thing......no

Everyone thought when the ps3 slim launched the high sales would end by the end of the year, which didnt

I expect the 360 to continue with the high sales and with kinect launching soon, I think they will dominate!!

Based on what, the ps3 slim sales were because of the price cut, everyone wanted a ps3 but were waiting for the price cut, same thing isn't true about the 360, and alot of the people that are buying the new 360s are just owners of the 360 with an older model who are upgrading because their afraid theirs will fail and want wifi and all that other stuff as far as kinect goes, it's not very impressive why will people go out of their way to get a 360 for it?

Around the Network
BigBoobieHead said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:

So know you're talking about profits. I don't know the specifics of the cost of the PS3 and how much SONY loses on each PS3, so I won't get into that. Either way, PS3 is on its way on selling a lot IMO (although that would be bad for SONY since they're losing money).

Well Sony has lost about 5 billion since the launch of the PS3. And that's PS2 and PSP profits included. God knows how much they really lost on the PS3 a lone. That's an unbelievable failure for a company that dominated the last two generations.

I do believe the PS3 is making a small profit for each unit sold now. But they'll never make much money on the PS3 units because of competition. All they can hope for is MS to keep console prices the same so they don't have retaliate with another price cut. The 360 has been making money for years, sales are great, so there is no need for them to cut prices unless Sony does.

PS3 is a company failure for the simple reason that it hasn't matches sales expectations.

To be fair though, to get the best picture of the PS3's implications we'll actually have to wait 20 years down the line.

Short term, no doubt PS3 has failed.

But if I were to say that long term, Sony's thinking changed dramatically and enabled them success in the future generations, and that Sony made lots of profit off Blu-Ray, I think the PS3 would be seen in a better light.

Sony is just one of 20 companies that have their hand in the Bluray profits. DVDs aren't disappearing anytime soon either.  Most people still own SD TVs and god knows how DVD players are out there.

I have a feeling DVDs will still be relevant in 2020. Just like the CD is still relevant today for music (even if MP3 is the dominant media).

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Lyrikalstylez said:
Jay520 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:

Well Sony has lost about 5 billion since the launch of the PS3. And that's with PS2 and PSP sales since PS3 launch  included. God knows how much they really lost on the PS3 a lone. That's an unbelievable failure for a company that dominated the last two generations.

first thing.......yes

second thing......no

Everyone thought when the ps3 slim launched the high sales would end by the end of the year, which didnt

I expect the 360 to continue with the high sales and with kinect launching soon, I think they will dominate!!

But you have to take into account that the PS3 went from $400 ( out of range for most people) to $300 (roughly fair for some). The 360 didn't have a price cut. It's impact is not as big as the PS3's. In fact, the week before the EU 360 slim release, the PS3 almost outsold it ( it was down by 20k). PS3 has White SKUs / GT5 / MOVE / possible price cut this holiday. 360 has Reach / Possible price cut / Kinect this holiday. I don't see Kinect or MOVE taking off honestly. Advertisement doesn't automatically equal sales.  There's a chance that PS3 doesn't outsell 360 this holiday. If that happens, then PS3's 2011 lineup looks a lot better than 360's lineup. I think it can outsell 360 by fall 2011.

Mr Puggsly said:
BigBoobieHead said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:

Well Sony has lost about 5 billion since the launch of the PS3. And that's PS2 and PSP profits included. God knows how much they really lost on the PS3 a lone. That's an unbelievable failure for a company that dominated the last two generations.

PS3 is a company failure for the simple reason that it hasn't matches sales expectations.

To be fair though, to get the best picture of the PS3's implications we'll actually have to wait 20 years down the line.

But if I were to say that long term, Sony's thinking changed dramatically and enabled them success in the future generations, and that Sony made lots of profit off Blu-Ray, I think the PS3 would be seen in a better light.

Sony is just one of 20 companies that have their hand in the Bluray profits. DVDs aren't disappearing anytime soon either.  Most people still own SD TVs and god knows how DVD players are out there.

I have a feeling DVDs will still be relevant in 2020. Just like the CD is still relevant today for music (even if MP3 is the dominant media).

CDs are still relevant when did that happen? Anyways, if it wasn't for the ps3 blu ray could of flopped completely so in the long run it was a good investment, everything about the way Sony handed the ps3 suggests they were thinking about the long run instead of just trying to get as many sales as fast as possible and then toss it away (like MS did with xbox original)

Jay520 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:

Fair enough, you just might want think again before calling the PS3 a success. At best Sony wasted enough to make it mainstream.

I think the 360's demand is just as strong as ever and there is almost nothing Sony can do to stop them. Unless they got some price cuts up their sleeve, it won't happen until MS moves on to a new console.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:

Fair enough, you just might want think again before calling the PS3 a success. At best Sony wasted enough to make it mainstream.

I think the 360's demand is just as strong as ever and there is almost nothing Sony can do to stop them. Unless they got some price cuts up their sleeve, it won't happen until MS moves on to a new console.

True demand is high, but how long has the slim been out? a little over month, less than a month in Europe. I think it's best to wait a while before drawing conclusions. The PS3's future looks brighter than 360's IMO. I'm not just talking about this holiday.I mean all the games lined up for 2011. Also you have to consider the cheapest PS3 is $299 while the cheapest 360 is $199 (may be lower, I'm not sure). So that means future price cuts will favor the PS3 more than the 360. Kinect and MOVE are wildcards. GT5 will likely move more consoles than Reach ( even if it sells less). I think the 360's sales will be less than PS3's sales in Sept/Oct. You may call me a delusional fanboy, but that's what I think.

unknown_soul89 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
BigBoobieHead said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:

CDs are still relevant when did that happen? Anyways, if it wasn't for the ps3 blu ray could of flopped completely so in the long run it was a good investment, everything about the way Sony handed the ps3 suggests they were thinking about the long run instead of just trying to get as many sales as fast as possible and then toss it away (like MS did with xbox original)

It wouldn't have flopped. It already had support from 20 major companies including Apple, Dell, Disney, WB, etc.

The only major company that supported HD-DVD was Toshiba. It was inevitable for Blu Ray to win. The only thing Sony did was help kill HD-DVD faster.

Well people still buy CDs for music. Especially for country music. CD-Rs are a popular burning media. CDs are also used to distribute software, drivers, etc. So yeah, I'd say the CD is still very relevant.

If MS kept supporting the Xbox, then they wouldn't have moved on to the much more successful Xbox 360. Last I checked, that console has been dominating Sony's machine. So it wasn't a bad choice. Nintendo could have also kept supporting the Gamecube. Enough said there.

Financially, Sony would have been better off sticking with the PS2.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:

Last I checked, that console has been dominating Sony's machine.

What do you consider dominating?

Pretty sure this gen has been a win for Xbox whether PS3 passes them or not. If  at the beginning of this gen you told the higher ups at MS that it would take the PS3 6-7 years to finally surpass the 360 in WW sales they all would have been jumping for joy.

Jay520 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jay520 said:

True demand is high, but how long has the slim been out? a little over month, less than a month in Europe. I think it's best to wait a while before drawing conclusions. The PS3's future looks brighter than 360's IMO. I'm not just talking about this holiday.I mean all the games lined up for 2011. Also you have to consider the cheapest PS3 is $299 while the cheapest 360 is $199 (may be lower, I'm not sure). So that means future price cuts will favor the PS3 more than the 360. Kinect and MOVE are wildcards. GT5 will likely move more consoles than Reach ( even if it sells less). I think the 360's sales will be less than PS3's sales in Sept/Oct. You may call me a delusional fanboy, but that's what I think.

But who would have guessed there would be so much interest in a Xbox 360 slim? Not only has it boosted sales significantly, but its been dominating both the PS3 and Wii. And it did it wihtout a $100 price cut like the PS3 slim. Safe bet we'll see a boost for the Arcade Slim, Reach, and Kinect as well.

I don't see anything too bright in the PS3's future personally. Maybe more sequels, some Move games, what else could they have? Ultimately, we don't know what Sony and MS is planning in the long run. But in the near future, MS is looking great. I mean for the same price as a PS3, people can get a Arcade Slim Kinect Kinect Adventures. Not a bad deal at all.

I think the 360 has plenty of room for price cuts as well. They've been making a profit off their hardware for years. My guess is the PS3 and both 360 models will go down $50 in 2011.

I doubt GT5 will sell more consoles than Reach. Also, it would be difficult tell. I mean Reach is gonna sell 5 million on week one, so we'll see a big console boost for a few weeks there. GT sales will be spread out. I think it'll do 2 - 3 million on week one. Also, racing sales have been slumping outside of Mario Kart. While shooter sales have been breaking records on the 360. So we'll have to wait and see.

Recently Completed