By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will outsell the 360 in about 3 years

unknown_soul89 said:
Michael-5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Tigerlure said:

No, I'm not under that assumption. What I do know at this moment is 2011 is looking like a MUCH better year for Sony than it is for Microsoft. I also think that you guys are relying on Kinect too much to carry the 360 on, as with Fable 3, which definitely won't be as much as a system seller as Halo Reach. So what do you have after this Christmas? Gears and thats it? Then what? Kinect exclusives? If that's all Microsoft has for 2011, I'd be a little bit worried, because Sony will probably have a few surprises in for you.

What's your point? Doesn't Sony have a "MUCH better year" every year? Is 2011 some how even more spectacular than all the others years?

As I said before, you don't know what MS has coming after the Holidays. And once again you underestimate them by saying Gears is all they have coming. Why promote future games when MS already has a lot coming for 2010?

Every year the 360 gets great exclusives. I don't see why 2011 is gonna be any different.

Actually looking online at some exclusives, 360 does have a pretty decent 2011 lineup, it's just that Sony advertizes games comming out in the distant future, where Microsoft does not. I mean have you heard any information about Huxley, Forza Kinect, Kingdoms, Kingdom Under Fire, Dead Island, Crash Time 2, Mech Warrior, Demons of Mercy, Dungeon Hero, Prey 2, Duke Nukem, Risen, or Theseis among others? Also Microsoft tends to announce big games late. Forza Motorsport 3 was annouced in E3 2009 and was released in October 2009, Gears 2 was announced in April 2008 and released in November 2008, etc.

Atleast half of those games will suck horribly and become the 360 exclusive no1 ever hears about or wants (there are tons of them just look at the 360 list) so I seriously doubt 360 has a decent 2011 line up, I mean what good unknown 360 exclusives came out in 2010 or 2009?

Well Alan Wake only sold 700k units, so thats basically a hidden gem for 2010,Crackdown 2 didn't sell that well either, but got above 8/10 ratings, same with Metro 2033 for 2010. Monster Hunter Frontier was a very well rated Monster Hunter game in Japan, and well for Hidden Gems, thats a good list. What did PS3 have in 2010? MAG, White Knight Chronicles, and Mod Nation Racers?

I also really doubt that Huxley, Forzy, Kingdoms, Dead Island, Mech Warrior, or Prey 2 will suck horribly. Duke Nukem might, I'll admit that, Kingdom Under Fire was a lot better on the original X-Box so it may turn out alright. As for the rest, I don't know much about them, so I can't judge. I mean, Prey 1, Forza, and Cryteck games always get above 9/10, so you're just silly.

I think, these threads, and thread all over just need people to realize that there is more to gaming outside their current console. I for example didn't have a PSP until recently, but there are a lot of great titles on that little handheld, I don't regret buying a DS instead (PSP is a friends), but it's definatly a good console. If the 360 was not a good console, and didn't have good games, then thats just pathetic that the PS3 is still being outsold by it 4 years after the PS3 launch.

Microsoft is notorious for keeping it's big titles hidden until only a few month before launch. I mean we learned about Gears 3 at E3, so 10 months before it's launch, we learned about Halo: Reach last E3, so 15 months before launch, we learned about Forza 3 in April 2009, and it came out only 6 months later in October, and Gears 2 was February for a November title, so only 9 months.

We have known about Killzone 2, 3 years, before launch, Gran Turismo 5, 4 years before launch, Metal Gear Solid 4 32 months before launch, etc.

So of course right now the PS3 line-up for 2011 looks better, the 360 only has 4 currently announced 9/10 or greater exclusives (Gears, Prey 2, Forza Kinect, Kingdoms) and PS3 has 3? (Killzone 3, InFAMOUS 2, Twisted Metal maybe if they seriously improve the game from E3 this year, Shadow of the Colosus if it's released). So even now without any big fall 360 title, the 360 lineup looks better.

I'm not worried for Microsoft, and I think the only reason you are is because your hoping the PS3 will begin to outsell the 360 again, but this time without the assistance of the Slim moel. I just doubt it's going to happen. MS is just focusing on it's 2010 lineup now because it has a pretty awesome one set up, and next year it will worry about 2011.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
unknown_soul89 said:
Michael-5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Tigerlure said:

No, I'm not under that assumption. What I do know at this moment is 2011 is looking like a MUCH better year for Sony than it is for Microsoft. I also think that you guys are relying on Kinect too much to carry the 360 on, as with Fable 3, which definitely won't be as much as a system seller as Halo Reach. So what do you have after this Christmas? Gears and thats it? Then what? Kinect exclusives? If that's all Microsoft has for 2011, I'd be a little bit worried, because Sony will probably have a few surprises in for you.

What's your point? Doesn't Sony have a "MUCH better year" every year? Is 2011 some how even more spectacular than all the others years?

As I said before, you don't know what MS has coming after the Holidays. And once again you underestimate them by saying Gears is all they have coming. Why promote future games when MS already has a lot coming for 2010?

Every year the 360 gets great exclusives. I don't see why 2011 is gonna be any different.

Actually looking online at some exclusives, 360 does have a pretty decent 2011 lineup, it's just that Sony advertizes games comming out in the distant future, where Microsoft does not. I mean have you heard any information about Huxley, Forza Kinect, Kingdoms, Kingdom Under Fire, Dead Island, Crash Time 2, Mech Warrior, Demons of Mercy, Dungeon Hero, Prey 2, Duke Nukem, Risen, or Theseis among others? Also Microsoft tends to announce big games late. Forza Motorsport 3 was annouced in E3 2009 and was released in October 2009, Gears 2 was announced in April 2008 and released in November 2008, etc.

Atleast half of those games will suck horribly and become the 360 exclusive no1 ever hears about or wants (there are tons of them just look at the 360 list) so I seriously doubt 360 has a decent 2011 line up, I mean what good unknown 360 exclusives came out in 2010 or 2009?

Well Alan Wake only sold 700k units, so thats basically a hidden gem for 2010,Crackdown 2 didn't sell that well either, but got above 8/10 ratings, same with Metro 2033 for 2010. Monster Hunter Frontier was a very well rated Monster Hunter game in Japan, and well for Hidden Gems, thats a good list. What did PS3 have in 2010? MAG, White Knight Chronicles, and Mod Nation Racers?

I also really doubt that Huxley, Forzy, Kingdoms, Dead Island, Mech Warrior, or Prey 2 will suck horribly. Duke Nukem might, I'll admit that, Kingdom Under Fire was a lot better on the original X-Box so it may turn out alright. As for the rest, I don't know much about them, so I can't judge. I mean, Prey 1, Forza, and Cryteck games always get above 9/10, so you're just silly.

I think, these threads, and thread all over just need people to realize that there is more to gaming outside their current console. I for example didn't have a PSP until recently, but there are a lot of great titles on that little handheld, I don't regret buying a DS instead (PSP is a friends), but it's definatly a good console. If the 360 was not a good console, and didn't have good games, then thats just pathetic that the PS3 is still being outsold by it 4 years after the PS3 launch.

Microsoft is notorious for keeping it's big titles hidden until only a few month before launch. I mean we learned about Gears 3 at E3, so 10 months before it's launch, we learned about Halo: Reach last E3, so 15 months before launch, we learned about Forza 3 in April 2009, and it came out only 6 months later in October, and Gears 2 was February for a November title, so only 9 months.

We have known about Killzone 2, 3 years, before launch, Gran Turismo 5, 4 years before launch, Metal Gear Solid 4 32 months before launch, etc.

So of course right now the PS3 line-up for 2011 looks better, the 360 only has 4 currently announced 9/10 or greater exclusives (Gears, Prey 2, Forza Kinect, Kingdoms) and PS3 has 3? (Killzone 3, InFAMOUS 2, Twisted Metal maybe if they seriously improve the game from E3 this year, Shadow of the Colosus if it's released). So even now without any big fall 360 title, the 360 lineup looks better.

I'm not worried for Microsoft, and I think the only reason you are is because your hoping the PS3 will begin to outsell the 360 again, but this time without the assistance of the Slim moel. I just doubt it's going to happen. MS is just focusing on it's 2010 lineup now because it has a pretty awesome one set up, and next year it will worry about 2011.

I'll be willing to bet you Killzone 3 and InFamous 2 will score higher than those 3 exclusives you listed easily. And that's not all Sony's lineup. There's  Socom 4, The Last Guardian, Resistance 3, Ratchet and Clank All-4-one and other exclusives Sony hasn't even announced. And before you ask, yes, Socom 4 and Resistance 3 will sell a million copies easily.

What's your 360 lineup again?

Tigerlure said:
Michael-5 said:
unknown_soul89 said:
Michael-5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Tigerlure said:

I'll be willing to bet you Killzone 3 and InFamous 2 will score higher than those 3 exclusives you listed easily. And that's not all Sony's lineup. There's  Socom 4, The Last Guardian, Resistance 3, Ratchet and Clank All-4-one and other exclusives Sony hasn't even announced. And before you ask, yes, Socom 4 and Resistance 3 will sell a million copies easily.

Okay I'll take you on with this bet. I'm serious. What specifically do you want to bet, and are we going to use Metacritic scores, or VGCharts, or some other website like IGN or Gametrailers? I will bet you that Gears of War 3 will get a higher rating then Killzone 3, and hm... InFAMOUS and Forza Kinect will be a lot closer. This one I just want to make a friendly bet. With Gears 3 I want to make a proper gamble. How about a cheap PSN game?

Resistance 3 is rumoured, it has not been announced, The Last Guardian has no set launch date, the last Socom was probably the worst rated PS3 exclusive, and Ratchet is legit.

Also I don't doubt Resistance 3 selling over a million, but I do doubt Socom. Regardless, why do sales matter, Valkeria chronicles didn't sell a million, and it's a great RPG.

Also just for reference, I am not arguing that the 360 lineup is better then the PS3 lineup, I am just saying that both consoles have had roughly equally great lineups in the past, and in the future, they continue to be equally as great.

So separating the good games out of exclusives: 360: Gears 3, Kingdoms, Forza Kinect, Prey 2, MechWarrior, Huxley, Dead Island. As for PS3: Ratchet and Clank, Killzone 3, InFAMOUS 2, and Twisted Metal.

So 6 to 4 in favor of 360, but it's likely that either Resistance 3, or The Last Guardian will come out in 2011, so lets say 6-5. Now Microsoft has announced their big fall exclusive relativly close to launch the last two years, so it's likely that they will announce something next year, but to be fair Sony may announce Uncharted 3 or something else.

So garenteed right now it's a 6-5 race, but it's likely to be 7-6, and who knows what Hidden Gems will surface? Most of the 360 2011 exclusives I have never heard of, and there are so many rumored games on both consoles. Killer Instinct 3, Jade Empire 2, and Rare's Kinect Fitness game are still maybes for 2011.

My point is that, you can't say PS3's lineup is MUCH better, maybe it's better for you, but that doesn't mean it will be for everyone else. Both consoles are great, and have great games, and I would like to leave it at that.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
Tigerlure said:
Michael-5 said:
unknown_soul89 said:
Michael-5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Tigerlure said:

Okay I'll take you on with this bet. I'm serious. What specifically do you want to bet, and are we going to use Metacritic scores, or VGCharts, or some other website like IGN or Gametrailers? I will bet you that Gears of War 3 will get a higher rating then Killzone 3, and hm... InFAMOUS and Forza Kinect will be a lot closer. This one I just want to make a friendly bet. With Gears 3 I want to make a proper gamble. How about a cheap PSN game?

Resistance 3 is rumoured, it has not been announced, The Last Guardian has no set launch date, the last Socom was probably the worst rated PS3 exclusive, and Ratchet is legit.

Also I don't doubt Resistance 3 selling over a million, but I do doubt Socom. Regardless, why do sales matter, Valkeria chronicles didn't sell a million, and it's a great RPG.

Also just for reference, I am not arguing that the 360 lineup is better then the PS3 lineup, I am just saying that both consoles have had roughly equally great lineups in the past, and in the future, they continue to be equally as great.

So separating the good games out of exclusives: 360: Gears 3, Kingdoms, Forza Kinect, Prey 2, MechWarrior, Huxley, Dead Island. As for PS3: Ratchet and Clank, Killzone 3, InFAMOUS 2, and Twisted Metal.

So 6 to 4 in favor of 360, but it's likely that either Resistance 3, or The Last Guardian will come out in 2011, so lets say 6-5. Now Microsoft has announced their big fall exclusive relativly close to launch the last two years, so it's likely that they will announce something next year, but to be fair Sony may announce Uncharted 3 or something else.

So garenteed right now it's a 6-5 race, but it's likely to be 7-6, and who knows what Hidden Gems will surface? Most of the 360 2011 exclusives I have never heard of, and there are so many rumored games on both consoles. Killer Instinct 3, Jade Empire 2, and Rare's Kinect Fitness game are still maybes for 2011.

My point is that, you can't say PS3's lineup is MUCH better, maybe it's better for you, but that doesn't mean it will be for everyone else. Both consoles are great, and have great games, and I would like to leave it at that.

Resistance 3 was confirmed at GamesCom http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/20/recap-gamescom-2010-as-it-happened/

Socom 4 is looking good, here's a video. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/26/socom-special-forces-gamescom-floor-demo/Please note the last Socom was made by different developers than the original. Adding those 2, it's 8-7 PS3 favor, and to be honest, I haven't heard of Huxley, Dead Island, or MechWarrior. I wouldn't count those as big exclusives really, but I may be wrong.

My bet was that Those 3 games would score an average higher than your 3 games. It's a friendly bet.

It doesn't matter if the PS3 outsells the 360 in my opinion. It's already outselling the 360 year over year. Based on Metacritic, it's exclusives are more critically acclaimed than the 360. Some of the 360's biggest titles are not even exclusives--Mass Effect, Left 4 Dead and Splinter Cell is on the PC. Even the first Gears was on the PC. Mass Effect 2, the highest rated "exclusive" for the 360 just went multiplat. Despite Microsoft efforts to make a host of PS2 exclusives multiplat, Sony has introduced a host of new IPs. The PS3 is the console for gamers.

I will concede Live is better than PSN.

2011 Predictions

Wii: 17m (100 million total)

360: 13m (63 million total)

PS3: 15m (61 million total)

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

Eventually it will happen especially if Sony hits there shipment goal of 15 million this year, that'll shorten the gap.

Not if the XBox 360 outsells the PS3 during the holiday it won't. lol!! Microsoft and Nintendo will have their new next-gen console out before 3 years gets here. After that, it won't even matter what the PS3 does. Every time Sony tries to counter M$ sales lead, Microsoft response back with a price drop or an upgrade of new SKU's. Eventually the 360 will be $99 and even PS3 fanboys who hated the XBox 360 will be buying one. The games will be dirt cheap by then too I bet. Neither system is going to catch the Wii, as long as it stays on the market.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Tigerlure said:
Michael-5 said:
Tigerlure said:
Michael-5 said:
unknown_soul89 said:
Michael-5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Tigerlure said:

Resistance 3 was confirmed at GamesCom http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/20/recap-gamescom-2010-as-it-happened/

Socom 4 is looking good, here's a video. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/26/socom-special-forces-gamescom-floor-demo/Please note the last Socom was made by different developers than the original. Adding those 2, it's 8-7 PS3 favor, and to be honest, I haven't heard of Huxley, Dead Island, or MechWarrior. I wouldn't count those as big exclusives really, but I may be wrong.

My bet was that Those 3 games would score an average higher than your 3 games. It's a friendly bet.

When I said 7-6 in favor of 360, I included Resistance 3 or The Last Guardian. Since your telling me Resistance 3 was confirmed for 2011, the score is still the same because The Last Guardian has no set release date, and has been delayed from the August 2010 release date. So it's 7-7, a tie, and we both know MS and Sony have some late announcments planned. Also there are a few 360 exclusives for 2011 which I know nothing about, so I didn't include them in that 7-7 tie, like thesis, demons of murcury, dungeon hero, duke nuken, risen, and kingdom under fire.

Also to be fair Mech-Warrior, Dead Island and Huxley probably will most likely only break 8/10 scores, not 9/10, then again most Ratchet and SOCOM games generally only get above 8/10, not 9/10, but that is still good.

Also if you argue The Last Guardian in to give PS3 8 points, then I should be able to argue Mass Effect 3 in for 360 to give it 8 points too.

So my point being is that there are 7 great excluives for both a 360 and PS3, you can only say one lineup is better then the other because it suits you more. I mean you haven't even heard of Huxley, Dead Island and Mech Assault, probably because Zombie games, and mech warrior straregy games are not your favorite type of games. Huxley is a FPS published by Microsoft. I mean I didn't know of a Ratchet game comming for 2011, but I'm not a big platformer fan.

As for your friendly bet, I'll bet Gears of War 3 gets better ratings then Resistance 3 AND Killzone 3, and I bet Forza Kinect will get better ratings then InFAMOUS 2. Prey 2 will get above 9/10 ratings, but just, and I do feel the 3 PS3 exclusives you mentioned will slightly out-rate it.

BTW, this is a friendly bet out of interest, so I know some websites will give higher ratings to the generally less well received game. So lets not get too technical when, E.X. IGN gives Resistance 3 a higher rating, but Metacritic and VGChartz gives it to Gears.

Knoxcore said:

It doesn't matter if the PS3 outsells the 360 in my opinion. It's already outselling the 360 year over year. Based on Metacritic, it's exclusives are more critically acclaimed than the 360. Some of the 360's biggest titles are not even exclusives--Mass Effect, Left 4 Dead and Splinter Cell is on the PC. Even the first Gears was on the PC. Mass Effect 2, the highest rated "exclusive" for the 360 just went multiplat. Despite Microsoft efforts to make a host of PS2 exclusives multiplat, Sony has introduced a host of new IPs. The PS3 is the console for gamers.

I will concede Live is better than PSN.

First of all the 360 has more games with scores above 9/10.

Second, Gears of War 1 cannot be bought in stores anymore, nor played online. Epic made a patch that completly messed up the game, and refuse to fix it. So the only way to play the game is if you already have it installed on your PC, and don't update it ever, and only play co-op or single player. So Gears of War 1 is not multiplatform because you can't play online with the PC version, or even buy it in stores.

Third, Console exclusives still count, most gamers do not have computers that cost over $500 that are required to play PC games. PC gaming is a tiny market.

Forth, Mass Effect 2 is not out for PS3 yet, so for the time being it is still an exclusive game, and Mass Effect 2 will never be the same game Mass Effect 2 is for the 360. Why? Well first of all there is no Mass Effect 1 for PS3, and there never will be because the company that made the game doesn't exist anymore, so you can't make decisions in Mass Effect 1 that carry over to Mass Effect 2. Thus the games story is not reflective off your decisions in Mass Effect 1, and crappier. Secondly, there will be no DLC for the PS3 version, which is a good 20% of the game.

Thats all I have to say. I will admit Sony has introduced more new IP's this generation, and have more old franchises to work off, but except for Uncharted 2, and for me Heavy Rain, these games are nothing special. Yes Killzone 2 and Resistance are fun as hell, but nowhere near the quality a Gears of War or Halo title has, and definatly don't have as much replay (4-player co-op, loads of online multiplayer options).

It's just a matter of preference, and I'm sick of hearing people say one console has "more acclaimed exclusives" because they are both great. I hope a good Sci-Fi FPS, I love RPG's especially JRPG's, Racing games with a steering wheel are a must for me, and the ocasional Zombie basher is sick too. So 360 is for me, Gears and Halo are the two best rated exclusive FPS, and with Call of Duty, my FPS appetite is satisfied. 360 has a wide selection of quality RPG's from Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Mass Effect, Fallout, and Final Fantasy, so thats a big fat check too. As for racing games, currently the only well rated PS3 racers are Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and Motorstorm, and there is no official steering wheel. 360 has 2 Forza titles, 2 PGR titles, and a list of mediocre exclusive racers, as well as the multiconsole ones like NFS and blur. So racing games are much better on the 360 for me, and as for Zombie mashers, PS3 has none yet, not until Dead rising 2, so check.

PS3 is still an awesome title, it has better platformers (God of War, Ratchet & Clank), it has more 9/10 shooters games (Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone), and it has Heavy Rain, which is just awesome.

As someone who owns both a PS3 and a 360, I can say I like the 360 better, but thats just me. PS3 has it's share of great games, I'm just not a big fan of Action/Adventure games, or Platformers, and when it comes to FPS, RPG's, and Racing games, I just see the 360 as an obvious winner. However a lot of HD gamers aren't nuts about shooters, and don't care about racers. In that case 360 doesn't offfer much.

Seeing as I expect Kinect to win over the casuals, and Move never to win over the casuals: I never see this happening. 

Everything you ever wanted to know about Kinect is right HERE
kain_kusanagi said:
unknown_soul89 said:
Caddelin said:

PS3 is already a commercial failure in every aspect. Sony has already suffered irrecuperable losses with it along the years (just recently Sony managed to have some margin of profit over each unit sold).

That alone would be disastrous. If you take into account the fact that Sony held the virtual monopoly of consoles with PS2, it just aggravates the disappointing sales of PS3. So, EVEN IF it manages to outsell the 360 by the end of this generation (which is not a certainty whatsoever), it is still one of the biggest commercial flops in videogame history.

Oh yeah, before I forget, I own both a 360 AND a PS3. 

Whats your point, from a quality stand point is better value then the 360 in almost every way, and everyone has had a console flop even nintendo bottom line is it's a far better choose then the 360 and the only reason the 360 is outselling it is because it was cheap and people are idiots 

Choosing the machine that plays the games a person wants doesn't make them an "idiot". No matter how much you think the PS3 is a better value the fact is it doesn't have Gears of War, Halo, Fable etc. People who want those games chose the console that has them, just like people who want God or War 3 and GT5 chose the PS3, some paid the outragiously overpriced $600 launch price. A person's taste does not make them an "idiot". Have a little repect for other peoples opinions.

I disagree.

I do not respect the opinion of an idiot.

What's an idiot?  An idiot is someone who goes out and buys a product knowing that its egregiously failure prone. 

I myself considered an XBOX 360 in late 2008, but when I heard about the breakage (50% of every owner since 2005has had a broken 360), there was no way I would buy one.  My parents taught me better....its common sense really.

Its like, when did people become so simple minded and foolish?  When was it ok to put your hand in a proverbial fire to get burned over and over and over again?  That's simpleminded logic even a pre kinder gardener can understand....literally.