By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Resident Evil 5 Wii Edition Ever Be Made?!?! >:o

Will Resident Evil 5 Wii Edition Ever Be Made?!?! >:o

Yes 12 5.36%

No 128 57.14%

Not on the Wii, but Nintendo's next console. 65 29.02%

I have no idea! *.* 19 8.48%

Total:224

I can't see myself buying this theoritical RE5 on Wii unless they make some major changes to the game. I have a 360 and a PS3 and I haven't bought the game for a reason. It was huge disappointment.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
KylieDog said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
hunter_alien said:

If you so want the game why dont you buy it for PC/PS3/360? Be a fan of the game, not the console manufacturer.

No, we don't want the game so much. We want it on the Wii so much. And don't give us that crap about it being the console manufacturer, with all the Wii bashing you've done.

He is right, instead of whining its not on your console and you want it go buy a PS3/360/PC that'll run it.  I want to play Mass Effect 2, Left for Dead 1 2 and Alan Wake but if I really wanted to play them enough I'd just buy a Xbox 360.  I'll say it is dissapointing they aren't on PS3 but endless whining years after they release doesn't accomplish anything.

The only comparison that really works there is L4D 1-2.  Mass Effect 2 and Alan Wake aren't on PS3 due to Microsoft's publishing deals (although they gave up publishing ME2 after the EA buyout, that exclusivity likely had to do with Microsoft's previous contracts for the trilogy).  It's like complaining that Heavy Rain isn't on 360, when Sony essentially paid for the game to be made.

Yeah, there's not exclusivity detail, and an established RE fanbase on the Wii, so there is no reason not to put it there.

EDIT: I should also add he's not right, kylie, because the "just buy the system for that game" is not valid in this context, because it's not about us wanting the game solely for ourselves, and the game is not a killer app.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
KylieDog said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
hunter_alien said:

If you so want the game why dont you buy it for PC/PS3/360? Be a fan of the game, not the console manufacturer.

No, we don't want the game so much. We want it on the Wii so much. And don't give us that crap about it being the console manufacturer, with all the Wii bashing you've done.

He is right, instead of whining its not on your console and you want it go buy a PS3/360/PC that'll run it.  I want to play Mass Effect 2, Left for Dead 1 2 and Alan Wake but if I really wanted to play them enough I'd just buy a Xbox 360.  I'll say it is dissapointing they aren't on PS3 but endless whining years after they release doesn't accomplish anything.

The only comparison that really works there is L4D 1-2.  Mass Effect 2 and Alan Wake aren't on PS3 due to Microsoft's publishing deals (although they gave up publishing ME2 after the EA buyout, that exclusivity likely had to do with Microsoft's previous contracts for the trilogy).  It's like complaining that Heavy Rain isn't on 360, when Sony essentially paid for the game to be made.

Yeah, there's not exclusivity detail, and an established RE fanbase on the Wii, so there is no reason not to put it there.

EDIT: I should also add he's not right, kylie, because the "just buy the system for that game" is not valid in this context, because it's not about us wanting the game solely for ourselves, and the game is not a killer app.

That RE fanbase on the Wii gradually stopped caring and each new RE game on the Wii has sold fewer copies than the one before--RE4 to UC to DC.  People that want RE5 on the Wii need to just stop wishing and just buy it already on an existing platform.  Face the fact:  It would cost far more to rebuild the game--largely from scratch--to run on the Wii than it's worth--financially--for Capcom.  No offense, but just saying "there's no reason not to put RE5 on the Wii," especially at this point, is just plain ignorant of how the industry works.  If they were making a PSP version as well, I could see potential value in doing it, but as it is?  Seriously now.

Also, only an idiot would want every game available on every system.  Exclusive titles are great for the industry.  They keep competition going.  One of the main reasons the 16-bit generation was so fucking great was because Sega and Nintendo had ample exclusive titles competing with each other.  If you can get every game everywhere, then overall quality will suffer, and a monopoly will form--if the industry doesn't crash altogether. 

One last thing, Wii fans, Nintendo didn't want every single multi-platform game on their system.  The whole point of the Wii was to discourage that kind of development.  It goes back to their original analogy from 2006 about "having only big dinosaurs."  The Wii was supposed to be different, it was supposed to have a library seperate from that of Sony and Microsoft.  With so many cross-platform titles, the Xbox360 and PS3 are sadly interchangable.  The Wii, on the other hand, was designed to skew development away from this. 

Remember the last generation?  I'm sure some of you don't since attention spans seem to be in seconds these days, but the fact that most games were multiplatform across anywhere from 2 to 5 machines (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, GameCube, PC), it heavily burdened the crap out of the industry.  As a whole, that was really boring.  Exclusives keep the industry going.  Exclusives make it fun.  Exclusives spur competition.  Competition drives quality.  And in the end, you may not be able to buy everything because you can only afford one or two machines, but the quality of your choices is vastly improved.  For example, who really cared about Soul Calibur III? I didn't even know it existed until at least a year after it's release.  But Soul Calibur II with it's exclusive content?  Everybody knew about that, and it was awesome.

It's just unfortunate that the quality efforts on the Wii went largely unnoticed by fans, and that the focus went to casual crap for most of the exclusives.

Resident_Hazard said:

That RE fanbase on the Wii gradually stopped caring and each new RE game on the Wii has sold fewer copies than the one before--RE4 to UC to DC. 

Not really, this just shows that we stopped caring for on-rails games :|

-PaNdOrA- said:
Resident_Hazard said:

That RE fanbase on the Wii gradually stopped caring and each new RE game on the Wii has sold fewer copies than the one before--RE4 to UC to DC. 

This is from the "one core game is a good as the other" mentality, which they hypocritically do not apply to HD games that don't sell as well as others.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network

The real issue is that Capcom should stop thinking that we don't want this game on the Wii. There was no game on the Wii like RE5 that flopped. The game actually like RE5 sold well.

So not following it through with the next main RE game shows they are treating Wii owners like the wrong people. Yes, I am comparing this partly to racism. It's not as morally reprehensible, but the bullshit logic is similar.

The systems specs are just one of the excuses, when objectively, HD development takes even more time an money. So complaining that making a game for the system takes less of those is either the stance of an idiot, or the stance of someone trying to come up with an excuse not to do something they are prejudiced against.

EDIT: And for those that say you have to work harder to make games look good on the Wii, that is still not going to cost as much time and money. In fact, it's basically declaring the HD systems let you be creatively lazy. And the increasing sameness of the look of many HD games holds that up.

KylieDog said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Resident_Hazard said:

2 out of 5 Wii RE games have been rail shooters.  In fact the rails shooters outsold 2 of the actual RE games.

If you mean the GC ports, that didn't offer anything new (while RE4 at least combined the best of the GC and PS2 versions), that's understandable.

Also, I'd say it's less tired of rail shooters than the genre not having as much appeal as developers thought it would. Rail shooters don't have as much replay value as FPS and TPS unless something new is done to freshen it up.*

* In case anyone bringd up Dead Space Extraction, slowing down the game just to show off the graphics (aka, the "guided first person experience") was clearly shown to not be the right way to freshen it up.

KylieDog said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Resident_Hazard said:

2 out of 5 Wii RE games have been rail shooters.  In fact the rails shooters outsold 2 of the actual RE games.

Out of those two games that were outsold by the light gun spin-offs, One of the games was a direct port of a remade game of two generations ago that had already been ported earlier this generation; a budget priced, minimal stocked, under-the-radar game at that. The second game was also a direct port with largely the same disadvantages as the former; it got even less attention than the first Archives not being one of the more popular entries, on top of very poor reception and is what many fans and critics consider a bad port.

How technical is your game?

lol this debate will never end.

Wii users want the game because of RE4 controls. They were perfect for the game. Plain and simple. NOthing to do with oh I want to play RE just because it is RE. It is to do with RE Controls which is the selling point for Wii owners.

However like I said earlier ago, it won't happen, it is too late.

KylieDog said:
IxisNaugus said:
KylieDog said:
-PaNdOrA- said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Out of those two games that were outsold by the light gun spin-offs, One of the games was a direct port of a remade game of two generations ago that had already been ported earlier this generation; a budget priced, minimal stocked, under-the-radar game at that. The second game was also a direct port with largely the same disadvantages as the former; it got even less attention than the first Archives not being one of the more popular entries, on top of very poor reception and is what many fans and critics consider a bad port.

Always an excuse but never 'the market is not there', it was a perfect port anyway, nothing wrong with it which is no surprise as its a GC to Wii port.

REmake was not ported earlier this gen already either, it just had an earlier japanese only release, unless we're calling different regions different ports now.

I don't see why you would suggest that the market is completely absent altogether, i gather that people just want a new, traditional Resident Evil experience. As far as i'm aware, the Resident Evil 0 port is no worse than the original GameCube game; nowadays however, it appears as though people expect at least additional content from previous gen ports or remakes, if a graphical update is not a given, otherwise it's bound to get trashed for being lazy or just a cash-in. If you read a few reviews for Zero Archives (and the first game) you'll notice a common complaint is that there is nothing new to play for content-wise, just a control mix-up, and points are docked from the game because of this. 

Oh and, you misunderstood me. I was referring to Deadly Silence, the tenth anniversary DS port of the original game. Nevertheless the GameCube Resident Evil remake was not ported earlier this generation, the original PlayStation game was. I had overlooked that since they are based off the same iteration.

How technical is your game?