By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS just continues to crush the PSP, along with everything else

The DS just cannot be stopped.  I cannot believe the numbers this thing is selling even now.  It sold 1.3 mil last week worldwide, and now it is over .5 mil before USA and Japan numbers come in.  This thing is a monster that cannot be stopped.  I thought it would start slowing down, but it seems to be steam rolling Christmas and will probably take the Christmas crown again this year.  Is there any stopping this machine.  I read some articles last week saying that the PSP could take the top spot, I think it was on CNET.  What a joke, the PSP will NEVER take the #1 spot from the DS.  Just thought I would get this off my chest for today.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network

IMO, the only thing that actually has the power to stop the DS is the Wii.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

So what, the DS deserves it's topspot for sure. Great desing, great games that appeal to the market outside of hardcore gamers as well. However, you are making it sound like the PSP has no right to be alive. Both DS and PSP have been doing remarkable lately, both had a huge boost from their redesigns and I believe that Monster hunter just became the first PSP title to have 1.5 million sales in Japan alone.

Since I live in Europe I wonder if the ds is currently being mass marketed in the states as well. I can hardly switch on the television without seeing brain, eye, penis training on the ds.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

The PSP seems to be doing fairly well, that is until you realize just how little software it is moving.

People seem to be buying the PSP for its secondary features. Sony should just abandon propriotary games for the device and focus on its successor as a portable multi-media device, iphone competitor that at best, plays cell phone games. It's obviously a successful portable media device. Just not a successful game system.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
The PSP seems to be doing fairly well, that is until you realize just how little software it is moving.

People seem to be buying the PSP for its secondary features. Sony should just abandon propriotary games for the device and focus on its successor as a portable multi-media device, iphone competitor that at best, plays cell phone games. It's obviously a successful portable media device. Just not a successful game system.

I don't think abandoning games would be the right approach at all.

No, Sony would do well to focus more on the games with the PSP's successor. Advertise them more, get some new franchises etc. 

The PSP was, after all, able to get a few million sellers, so all is not lost.

Around the Network
kazadoom said:
The DS just cannot be stopped.  I cannot believe the numbers this thing is selling even now.  It sold 1.3 mil last week worldwide, and now it is over .5 mil before USA and Japan numbers come in.  This thing is a monster that cannot be stopped.  I thought it would start slowing down, but it seems to be steam rolling Christmas and will probably take the Christmas crown again this year.  Is there any stopping this machine.  I read some articles last week saying that the PSP could take the top spot, I think it was on CNET.  What a joke, the PSP will NEVER take the #1 spot from the DS.  Just thought I would get this off my chest for today.

"probably"? what planet are you on? DS will have sold at least 7.5 million in Nov/Dec [last 9 weeks] just like last year, there is no 'probably' about it. In fact if you scale it the same as last year it would mean over 9.5 million in the last 9 weeks. Last year for week ending Nov5 to Nov26 the DS sold 2.25million, and between w/e Nov5 and Dec30 it totalled 7.65 million. That is a multiplier of 3.4 [2.25 X 3.4= 7.65] This year DS has sold 2.85 between w/e Nov4 and Nov25. 2.85 X 3.4 = 9.69 million. I doubt it will manage that myself, but it should easily sell 8.5 million.

bah the ds doesn't crush anything. The other consoles do not sell less because of the DS (apart from the PSP of course). Its just a different market. Good for Nintendo but pretty much irrelevant to Wii/PS3/360. We could also talk about cell phones crushing the DS because they sell much more and can play games.

but yes DS sales are amazing, although software sales do not keep up outside of Japan.

The problem with the PS3 and PSP is that they are "multimedia machines", not consoles. Sony even said it themselves. The problem with this is that it makes developers weary when it comes to making a game for these consoles, as they probably wont sell as well due to the fact that they are multimedia machines. This has been proven by the PSP; there are very few million sellers for the amount of machines sold and compared to the DS, as im sure that many people buy the PSP for its music and video features, rather than the gaming ones. The PS3 is in the same boat, as it isnt just a games machine, its also one of the best Blu-ray/DVD players on the market, and also the cheapest. Sony keeps stressing this point, so i can see many people buying the PS3 for this feature alone tbh, meaning less game sales.

Kyros said:

bah the ds doesn't crush anything. The other consoles do not sell less because of the DS (apart from the PSP of course). Its just a different market. Good for Nintendo but pretty much irrelevant to Wii/PS3/360. We could also talk about cell phones crushing the DS because they sell much more and can play games.

but yes DS sales are amazing, although software sales do not keep up outside of Japan.

From what ive seen, software sales for first party and third party have been amazing everywhere, not just japan.

Secondly, very few people buy a mobile for gaming... look at what happened to the N-gage... So no, i highy doubt that Mobile Phones cut into the same market, as they are totally different things. 

tk1989 said:
The problem with the PS3 and PSP is that they are "multimedia machines", not consoles.

No, the problem is they aren't selling as well as their competitors.