By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS just continues to crush the PSP, along with everything else

the DS will never be beat by PSP

Around the Network

I laugh every time people call the PSP a failure because it's not selling as well as the DS because it's so ridiculous. The DS is just selling at a phenomenal rate, so the fact that the PSP isn't matching its sales doesn't really say much. The PSP has sold over 27 million to date, which is more than the Gamecube and Xbox managed in 5 years, and is on the verge of surpassing the Sega Genesis and N64, and there is a very real possibility that it may one day exceed the sales of the SNES.

The software sales aren't where they should be, but the PSP does have quite a few million sellers and a lot of solid titles, and it seems as though third parties are still giving it quite a bit of support. The software sales can be better if only Sony would focus more on pushing the games instead of the very-obvious multimedia features.

The PSP has come into a market that's always been thoroughly dominated by Nintendo and done very well. When one console sells as well as the DS, the other console(s) in the same market usually sell very abysmally. I don't think there's any doubt that Nintendo, Sega, and Microsoft would have given their left nut to have their respective consoles sell as well as the PSP in comparison the the PS1 and PS2.

The PSP is the only active non-Nintendo console to have strong sales in all regions.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

TWRoO said:
kazadoom said:
The DS just cannot be stopped.  I cannot believe the numbers this thing is selling even now.  It sold 1.3 mil last week worldwide, and now it is over .5 mil before USA and Japan numbers come in.  This thing is a monster that cannot be stopped.  I thought it would start slowing down, but it seems to be steam rolling Christmas and will probably take the Christmas crown again this year.  Is there any stopping this machine.  I read some articles last week saying that the PSP could take the top spot, I think it was on CNET.  What a joke, the PSP will NEVER take the #1 spot from the DS.  Just thought I would get this off my chest for today.

"probably"? what planet are you on? DS will have sold at least 7.5 million in Nov/Dec [last 9 weeks] just like last year, there is no 'probably' about it. In fact if you scale it the same as last year it would mean over 9.5 million in the last 9 weeks. Last year for week ending Nov5 to Nov26 the DS sold 2.25million, and between w/e Nov5 and Dec30 it totalled 7.65 million. That is a multiplier of 3.4 [2.25 X 3.4= 7.65] This year DS has sold 2.85 between w/e Nov4 and Nov25. 2.85 X 3.4 = 9.69 million. I doubt it will manage that myself, but it should easily sell 8.5 million.

i think it can do it,the DS will have a monster holiday

ya the psp was nearly beet by 1 mil. last week. The ds will keep rising over it.

As a few intelligent posters (like Lord N) have already said, the PSP is no failure. It just looks that way compared to the juggernaut that is the DS.

The only thing that will stop the DS will be its successor.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network
Steve 3.2 said:
As a few intelligent posters (like Lord N) have already said, the PSP is no failure. It just looks that way compared to the juggernaut that is the DS.

The only thing that will stop the DS will be its successor.
yep PSP only looks like a flop when you compare it to DS

The DS and PSP can't really be compared. The thing is, they have very different price points - $169 vs. $129 - different control systems, different functionalities, different audiences and consequently different sales patterns.

I have both systems, and love both with a passion -- they're probably the two most satisfying gaming purchases I've ever made -- but they do very different things. The PSP is more of a high-end gaming and media device, with that glorious screen (which I've decorated liberally with assorted FF12 screenshots... sky-pirates ahoy!), while the DS is more of an intuitive, casual gaming device built around stylus input, which trades customization for ease of use.

ChronotriggerJM said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
tk1989 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
tk1989 said:
The problem with the PS3 and PSP is that they are "multimedia machines", not consoles.

No, the problem is they aren't selling as well as their competitors.

Yeah, and because they dont have amazing games either. One of the reasons why they dont ahve amazing games? becuase not everyone that buys them buys them for games... This is one of the reasons for the PSP. The PSP has sold over 27 million, but it doesnt sell that many games, and this could be due to the fact that theyre not being bought just for their gaming features, but also their multimedia ones.

If they are being bought for their multimedia features, then their poor sales (by comparison to the DS) are clearly telling Sony that the market doesn't give @#$& about multimedia features.

If they are being bought for both, then the market is clearly sending the message that the DS's gaming features alone are better than the PSP's entire package.

Apples iPod dissagrees with your statement. If you ask me that there's nothing "wrong" with the SONY psp, it just does too many things that other products already do. The DS is different, it's an innovative look at the casual market, LOADED with games (not necesarilly good mind you) that you can pick-up and fiddle with for 5 mins to 3 hours. Nintendo targeted CASUAL audiences, smaller games, almost no load times, creative uses for the stylus. Sony targeted people like me who wanted a jack of all trades and a more "hard core" audience, they ASSUMED that since the PS2 took off like a bat out of hell, that the casual market must be the same. "Oops", is what I'd say. 

However, many justified the original Xbox as Microsofts "foot in the door", if the PSP is Sony's entry into the handheld market then I'll assume they got more than half there body in. Calling the PSP a failure is a commonly used disaster of a mistake, the PSP continues to make money and continues to sell hardware. Who cares if it's not as much as the DS?  

The problem with the PSP lineup isn't that the games aren't any good. The problem is that most of the decent games for the PSP are just gimped versions of PS2 games. Why bother buying a PSP when I can get a better experience for cheaper on a PS2?

The reason why the DS is so successful is because the games for the DS are completely unique and you can only get that experience on the DS.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

SlorgNet said:
The DS and PSP can't really be compared. The thing is, they have very different price points - $169 vs. $129 - different control systems, different functionalities, different audiences and consequently different sales patterns.

I have both systems, and love both with a passion -- they're probably the two most satisfying gaming purchases I've ever made -- but they do very different things. The PSP is more of a high-end gaming and media device, with that glorious screen (which I've decorated liberally with assorted FF12 screenshots... sky-pirates ahoy!), while the DS is more of an intuitive, casual gaming device built around stylus input, which trades customization for ease of use.

Now i agree the PSP is no failure, in fact I see it as a pretty good success against Nintendos handheld might. [Though i think Sony may have expected to trounce Ninty like with PS2] If you are going as far as to state PSP and DS as different markets and therefore not comparable. then Wii, 360 and PS3 are all seperate too because they all do very different things at different prices. are they not comparable either? Surely the point of these forums is to compare these devices. Also i think PSP might actually be the same price [or very near] as the DS in Japan, yet it does no better [when comparing to DS]

The PSP hardware is selling like wildfire yet no it sells game software.

Obviously the product is primed for a market outside of propriotary format gaming.