By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS just continues to crush the PSP, along with everything else

ckmlb said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Technically they are seperate markets now that I think about it.

The Nintendo Wii and DS are in the Video Game Market.

While the 360 and PS3 are in the PC Gaming Market.

And the PSP is in the Blackberry / Mobile Communications Market.

The hate is strong in this one. The PSP is the most successful hand held gaming device not from Nintendo, meaning there will be a PSP2. Sony needs to focus on putting more good games on it, not try to make it another iphone (Verizon is already doing that).

"The most successful hand held gaming device not from Nintendo" is not exactly saying much. Basically you're comparing a portable platform with huge industry backing and the most successful gaming brand in history with the GP2X, the Gizmodo, the battery eating Game Gear, and the "sidetalkin" N-Gage.

I'm sorry, this "The PSP has done well considering Nintendo's domination of the handheld market" is bullshit. The PS1 took over the home console market which was dominated by Nintendo with very little industry support and a no name brand. Not only did they beat Nintendo, they crushed them and went on to build the Playstation brand into the biggest in the industry.

The PSP was a failure for Sony. Comparing it to a bunch of complete and utter failures doesn't make the PSP look any better. It was meant to dominate the handheld market just like the PS and PS2 dominated the home console market, and it failed miserably. I'm sure Sony will try again, and they will probably make money off the PSP when all is said and done, but calling it a success for outselling non-Nintendo handhelds is a bit premature. There's no magic about Nintendo in handhelds. Their handhelds are successful because they're the best.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

The PSP's real problem isn't hardware sales. The hardware sales have been more than respectable. Its problem is that the software attach rate is abysmal, and far lower than that of the DS.

Saying how much better the PSP did than other failed handhelds really isn't much to brag about. And really isn't something to be proud about.

If Sony is smart, the PSP2 won't play games other than downloadable Cell phone titles. Trust me, they'll have the same success and not the embarassment of such poor software sales.

naznatips said:
The PSP's real problem isn't hardware sales. The hardware sales have been more than respectable. Its problem is that the software attach rate is abysmal, and far lower than that of the DS.

Personally, I would say that the biggest problem with the PSP is that Sony did not learn from their mistakes with the system; had Sony stopped and thought about why the Nintendo DS was so much more successful than the PSP I'm certain they would have rethought their design for the PS3.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Saying how much better the PSP did than other failed handhelds really isn't much to brag about. And really isn't something to be proud about.

If Sony is smart, the PSP2 won't play games other than downloadable Cell phone titles. Trust me, they'll have the same success and not the embarassment of such poor software sales.

Sorry but that makes no sense at all.

Just because the software sales suck doesn't mean they don't make money on it, and people are certainly still buying PSPs for games.  

Also, PSP software sales may suck, but there are some really great games on it.  *hugs copy of Jeanne D'Arc*

Around the Network

If those developers were pragmatic they'd just put those games on a console with good software sales. And the PSP2 can still have games, just maybe scale it back a bit to the level which we see games on other devices such as Cell phones.

Words Of Wisdom said:
ckmlb said:

The PSP is the most successful hand held gaming device not from Nintendo,

That would hold more weight if the sales difference between the PSP and DS wasn't quite so large.

Was the N64 a complete failure because it got beat by the highest selling console (at the time)?

If the DS ends up being the highest selling console ever, what's the shame in finishing 2nd in that generation? 

naznatips said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

Sorry but that makes no sense at all.

Just because the software sales suck doesn't mean they don't make money on it, and people are certainly still buying PSPs for games.

Also, PSP software sales may suck, but there are some really great games on it. *hugs copy of Jeanne D'Arc*

Best strategy RPG of the year?

I've really enjoyed Portable Ops but I'm adding to the lack of software sales because I mainly use the PSP as an mp3 player.  Too much PS3 and Wii...but there are so many games I look forward to playing, because the PSP library is great and growing. 

windbane said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
ckmlb said:

The PSP is the most successful hand held gaming device not from Nintendo,

That would hold more weight if the sales difference between the PSP and DS wasn't quite so large.

Was the N64 a complete failure because it got beat by the highest selling console (at the time)?

If the DS ends up being the highest selling console ever, what's the shame in finishing 2nd in that generation? 

In many respects it was, it was Nintendo's fall from grace and the beginning of a great downfall for Nintendo leaving them in the catch up game of third party support they are in now.

Also, the first indicator that a person's argument is running out of steam is when they start comparing the circumstances of the console in question to a console of the past. I'd suppose you'd have us think the PS3 will be a success becauseits sales are relative to those of the PS2 its first year?

HappySqurriel said:
naznatips said:

Personally, I would say that the biggest problem with the PSP is that Sony did not learn from their mistakes with the system; had Sony stopped and thought about why the Nintendo DS was so much more successful than the PSP I'm certain they would have rethought their design for the PS3.

Touch support?  You really think Sony would get away with that this generation?

PSP2 might have that, though.  Definitely drop the UMD although it's finally viable with the video out...*sigh*