By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS just continues to crush the PSP, along with everything else

DS is good,and I'm currently borrowing a PSP, their both pretty decent, even though I'd have to say DS wins :)

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
It's not that the PSP software sales are bad in comparison to other platforms. They are historically bad for relative size of the user base. Has there ever been a platform where hardware sales have outsold software sales 2-3x? There seems to be something very broken in software sales.

I agree.

EDIT : And I agree with Onimusha12 too. 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

NM, I see your point. I was thinking you were citing Q3 and Q4 for some reason. Could you link to the financial reports you read though?

Sure - Sony Financial documents.

If you find that I made a mistake in my presentation of the information, feel free to point it out.  I don't think I did but I read through quite a few of them quickly (and looking at older ones is a pain due to information displayed changing between years/reports).

I can't find any PSP sales data in the Q2 07 page (haven't looked in 06 yet).  Where did you find it?

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

NM, I see your point. I was thinking you were citing Q3 and Q4 for some reason. Could you link to the financial reports you read though?

If you find that I made a mistake in my presentation of the information, feel free to point it out. I don't think I did but I read through quite a few of them quickly (and looking at older ones is a pain due to information displayed changing between years/reports).

I can't find any PSP sales data in the Q2 07 page (haven't looked in 06 yet). Where did you find it?

Page 4 of the Q2-07 PDF. In the reports, you want to look for the "Game" heading (it's also in the bookmarks of the pdf). It has hardware and software sales for the PS2, PS3, and PSP. PSP Slim isn't broken out of PSP sadly.

You'll see a display on that page like the one I posted above. The first number next to each is the worldwide sales and the second number is the difference between quarterly sales. Pay attention when you begin looking at 06 though as the numbers are very different. In particular, the 2nd number is not the difference between this quarter and last quarter's sales but rather the total additional sales. Also notice that measurements were changed from 06 to 07 to reflect a different standard (shipped vs recorded sales) hence why 06 looks enormous.

As an aside for anyone with accounting knowledge, have a look at their Statement of Cash Flows and check out their Financing segment's Investing activities. That definitely looks a little bizarre to me as does their explanation for the large increase in Financing (same section).

Edit:  Massive editing for completion... complete I think.

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

If you find that I made a mistake in my presentation of the information, feel free to point it out. I don't think I did but I read through quite a few of them quickly (and looking at older ones is a pain due to information displayed changing between years/reports).

I can't find any PSP sales data in the Q2 07 page (haven't looked in 06 yet). Where did you find it?

Look here, Naz :

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/07q2_eleki.pdf

EDIT : copy & paste the link in the browser. It doesn't work the link for my Firefox browser ... 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
naznatips, the numbers are correct. I haven't looked them up, but you can trust WOW.

Yeah, just checked.  WoW is right. 

@WoW I still don't think the PSP is by any means in trouble, but your correct that its sales could stand to be better.  From a software perspective especially.  Again, that doesn't make it a failure, it just doesn't make it as successful as the DS.

naznatips said:
RolStoppable said:
naznatips, the numbers are correct. I haven't looked them up, but you can trust WOW.

Yeah, just checked. WoW is right.

@WoW I still don't think the PSP is by any means in trouble, but your correct that its sales could stand to be better. From a software perspective especially. Again, that doesn't make it a failure, it just doesn't make it as successful as the DS.

That is probably the best way to look at it. 

Never owned any handheld at all but today I could not help myself and bought a NDS..and I LOVE it =) My best buy ever. Maybe I go for a Wii now too, there are many Wiis in the stores here so no probs there. I bought a NES in 1986 so I am an older fan who "left nintendo" for PS and XB but I guess I'm back where I belong now =)

Sorry if my English is not to good

The DS rocks. PSP is s***. You can either deal with it or you fail at a life. END OF!

Now Playing

Planet Puzzle League

Kirby Mouse Attack

Nanostray