By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS just continues to crush the PSP, along with everything else

And tell me, what facts have you presented? A handful of developers, most of which people could care less about supporting a console which is suppossed to be in its prime.

The facts I present are all anyone needs, lots of hardware sold and virtually no software sold. Oh my, so successful indeed. The PSP is the ideal of handheld gaming clearly, every console should idealy be justified by just a handful of must have games in the fullness of a console's lifetime.

Why do you so adamantly defend what is clearly a sinking ship and a testament to a powerful brand name that once was but no longer is. You're just kidding yourself Nazna. Are a handful of must have games really worth defending a failed venture? Do you actually think the PSP2 will be able to get any more games than what the PSP did given its abismal software sales?

If you want to see how many people are buying PSPs for those games and developers you claim are so wonderful, just look at Software sales vs Hardware. That should be fact enough for you.

You try and justify the PSP by the semantics of what can be called a Success with out providing a single link to show its actually being sold at a profit but then try to spin me as the rhetorictitian for pointing out the clear and obvious fact that this thing is selling virtually no games and has only a fraction of the developers of your average console.

Face it Nazna, you can only defend the PSP for so long. Now that I think about it, there are still people who insist the N-Gage was a great console.

Around the Network

N-Gage rules!

Girl Gamer Elite said:
And tell me, what facts have you presented? A handful of developers, most of which people could care less about supporting a console which is suppossed to be in its prime.

The facts I present are all anyone needs, lots of hardware sold and virtually no software sold. Oh my, so successful indeed. The PSP is the ideal of handheld gaming clearly, every console should idealy be justified by just a handful of must have games in the fullness of a console's lifetime.

Why do you so adamantly defend what is clearly a sinking ship and a testament to a powerful brand name that once was but no longer is. You're just kidding yourself Nazna. Are a handful of must have games really worth defending a failed venture? Do you actually think the PSP2 will be able to get any more games than what the PSP did given its abismal software sales?

If you want to see how many people are buying PSPs for those games and developers you claim are so wonderful, just look at Software sales vs Hardware. That should a fact enough for you.

You try and justify the PSP by the semantics of what can be called a Success with out providing a single link to show its actually being sold at a profit but then try to spin me as the rhetorictitian for pointing out the clear and obvious fact that this thing is selling virtually no games and has only a fraction of the developers of your average console.

Face it Nazna, you can only defend the PSP for so long. Now that I think about it, there are still people who insist the N-Gage was a great console.

Your first statement is purely opinion based, please edit yoru post to include "Developers that (I) don't care about", and again stop tossing your opinions around as if they were facts. These "worthless developers" seem to be doing fine on all the other platforms as well.

I love your second statement, if you so big on ratings then the "handfull of good games" is a bigger handfull than the DS's according to Metacritic. Is that YOUR idea handheldl? A system with 80% garbage with 20% gold? or 70/30? Personally I'll go with the later thank you.

I love the sinking ships that just continue to "sink" upward. And again with this "handfull" :P

Right, are software sales so bad that company's are going under to develope on it? Nope, last time I checked the damn thing keeps getting more and more support, with more and more great games. As long as the devs teams make a profit, then whats the problem? Sure they make way more with the DS (sometimes), but as long as it's not a wasted effort why even bother arguing this?

I thought it was just common knowledge at this point that the PSP hardware unit sells for a profit, I guess you didn't get the memo. In fact Sony's recent slim version uses LESS money in components, furthering there profit gained even more.

I'm not sure what your problem with the PSP is :P, if you look at it from a GAMER standpoint it's got some AMAZING titles. If you look at it from a multi-media standpoint it offers plenty in that field as well. Why such hatred of a handheld device could spawn from it not selling as much software is beyond me. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Yes, this is a handful that no one cares about.

Ubisoft
Namco
NIS
Square Enix
EA
Rockstar
Konami
Sega
Capcom
Activision
THQ
2K Games
Buena Vista Games
Koei

There are almost no other 3rd parties in the entire industry.  What the hell is a good third party then?  You look absolutely ridiculous right now calling these developers "a handful no one cares about." 

Software sales are lower than I'm sure Sony would like, but 11 million selling software units isn't "Virutally none."  It's software sales have indeed picked up.  Especially in Japan.

What the hell does anything have to do with brand name?  This is why I hate fanboys.  I don't care about a stupid brand name.  I am defending a good game system.  I wouldn't care if it was made by Atari.  It's still a good system. 

If you want to see how many people are buying PSPs for those games and developers you claim are so wonderful, just look at Software sales vs Hardware. That should be fact enough for you.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-Profits-Boosted-by-PSP-Shipments-17190.shtml there.  Sony's profits were increased by PSP shipments, which means the PSP hardware is profitable. 

Yes, you're really improving your credibility by comparing a handheld that sold 2 million units lifetime without any software over 500K to a handheld that's sold 26 million in 3 years with 11 games over 1 million.  While we're at it lets compare the Wii to the Virtua Boy and the PS2 to the 3DO.  

I'm tired of opinions being flung back and forth.  Let's find some facts...

Sony's 2007 Q2 financial statements agree with Gamer Girl Elite (more or less).

Worldwide software unit sales (decrease year-on-year):*

-> PS2: 38.0 million units (a decrease of 0.2 millinon units)
-> PSP: 12.6 million units (a decrease of 0.6 million units)
-> PS3: 10.3 million units

That decrease is relative to the previous quarter's sales.

Now, this decrease is not unexpected as is usual between their Q1 and Q2 sales however the decrease is much larger than it was between Q1-06 and Q2-06. This could be due to many different factors however it is still not a healthy indication for the PSP.

Sony's financials also show that the amount of hardware sold is beginning to taper off.

The PSP isn't dying, but it is certainly not at the level of health the DS is at.

PS: The recording differences between their financial statements are a pain. Older statements that list additional unit sales instead of sales relative to the last quarter are dumb (both would be better than just one).

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:

Sony's 2007 Q2 financial statements agree with Gamer Girl Elite.

-> PS2:  38.0 million units (a decrease of 0.2 millinon units)
-> PSP:  12.6 million units (a decrease of 0.6 million units)
-> PS3:  10.3 million units

Now, this decrease is not unexpected as is usual between their Q1 and Q2 sales however the decrease is much larger than it was between Q1-06 and Q2-06.  This could be due to many different factors however it is still not a healthy indication for the PSP.

Sony's financials also show that the amount of hardware sold is beginning to taper off.

The PSP isn't dying, but it is certainly not at the level of health the DS is at.

PS:  The recording differences between their financial statements are a pain.  Older statements that list additional unit sales instead of sales relative to the last quarter are dumb (both would be better than just one).

That's cherry picking financial quarters.  I could do the same by showing sales during the release of the slim.  Overall the PSP is selling much more this year than it has previous years.  

Again, no one is arguing the PSP is even within shouting distance of the DS, nor that it ever will be, but that doesn't make it a failure in its own right.  

Are you suggesting the Gamer Girl is right, Words of Wisdom? PSP's software is not selling well. However, that does not make the console a complete failure. The Nintendo Wii does not move very much software in Japan, but that doesn make it a failure there, now, does it?

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Now, this decrease is not unexpected as is usual between their Q1 and Q2 sales however the decrease is much larger than it was between Q1-06 and Q2-06. This could be due to many different factors however it is still not a healthy indication for the PSP.

PS: The recording differences between their financial statements are a pain. Older statements that list additional unit sales instead of sales relative to the last quarter are dumb (both would be better than just one).

That's cherry picking financial quarters. I could do the same by showing sales during the release of the slim. Overall the PSP is selling much more this year than it has previous years.

Again, no one is arguing the PSP is even within shouting distance of the DS, nor that it ever will be, but that doesn't make it a failure in its own right.

It's not cherry picking. I went back to 2006 to compare its Q1 and Q2 to make sure it was more than simply a seasonal change. Q1 and Q2 were picked because they are the most recent ones released and also the most relevant to the current market.

grandmaster192 said:
Are you suggesting the Gamer Girl is right, Words of Wisdom? PSP's software is not selling well. However, that does not make the console a complete failure. The Nintendo Wii does not move very much software in Japan, but that doesn make it a failure there, now, does it?

Not necessarily. Rather I'm stating that the argument GGE made during her postings that hardware sales are doing better than software sales has merit.  The rest of her arguments are not relevant to the information I posted.  Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

That's cherry picking financial quarters. I could do the same by showing sales during the release of the slim. Overall the PSP is selling much more this year than it has previous years.

It's not cherry picking. I went back to 2006 to compare its Q1 and Q2 to make sure it was more than simply a seasonal change. Q1 and Q2 were picked because they are the most recent ones released and also the most relevant to the current market.

They aren't relevant to the current market.  The slim changed sales trends, and although we won't know by how much it changed them permanently until post-holidays, it's clearly made a major sales difference in many regions.  Especially Japan.