By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS just continues to crush the PSP, along with everything else

naznatips said:

They aren't relevant to the current market. The slim changed sales trends, and although we won't know by how much it changed them permanently until post-holidays, it's clearly made a major sales difference in many regions. Especially Japan.

That PSP Slim is actually already accounted for and mentioned in the financials as of Q2-07. Despite its release, the hardware sales increase tapered down from .73 to .56 million between Q1 (not mentioned) and Q2 (first mention).

Around the Network

It's not that the PSP software sales are bad in comparison to other platforms. They are historically bad for relative size of the user base. Has there ever been a platform where hardware sales have outsold software sales 2-3x? There seems to be something very broken in software sales.

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

They aren't relevant to the current market. The slim changed sales trends, and although we won't know by how much it changed them permanently until post-holidays, it's clearly made a major sales difference in many regions. Especially Japan.

That PSP Slim is actually already accounted for and mentioned in the financials as of Q2-07. Despite its release, the hardware sales increase tapered down from .73 to .56 million between Q1 (not mentioned) and Q2 (first mention).

The Q2 fiscal quarter ended March 31st.  The slim was released September 6th.  That puts it near the end of Q4 2007.

Edit:  To elaborate, basically there was a major holiday sales difference, and that's what your data is showing.  Holiday sales are inclined to fluctuate more than any other time of the year, which makes that data some of the least relevant.

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

The Q2 fiscal quarter ended March 31st. The slim was released September 6th. That puts it near the end of Q4 2007.

Edit: To elaborate, basically there was a major holiday sales difference, and that's what your data is showing. Holiday sales are inclined to fluctuate more than any other time of the year, which makes that data some of the least relevant.

Objection!

Their Q2 financials end on September 30th, 2007 (Q1 ends June 30th, 2007).

Naz, please keep in mind that I have no axe to grind with yourself or Gamer Girl Elite. The data I'm presenting is also not mine rather it is Sony's straight from their own books. I'm not trying to actively attack your position that the PSP is doing well, rather I'm just posting data.

FishyJoe said:
It's not that the PSP software sales are bad in comparison to other platforms. They are historically bad for relative size of the user base. Has there ever been a platform where hardware sales have outsold software sales 2-3x? There seems to be something very broken in software sales.

Maybe in Japan ( they switch PSP->PSP Slim or buy it because it is great multimedia device). Elsewhere software outsell hardware.

Around the Network
KillerMan said:
FishyJoe said:

Maybe in Japan ( they switch PSP->PSP Slim or buy it because it is great multimedia device). Elsewhere software outsell hardware.

In all regions of the world, the PSP still sells the least software of all the major platforms, despite having a much larger user base than most other platforms. 

The PSP is at 272 right now and DS is over a million for the week. The topic title could not be any more correct. DS is steamrolling everything including the main form of "competition" in PSP. Every defender of PSP needs only look at the numbers on the first page and try harder to put spin on it.

It is rather cut and dry folks...

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

The PSP is a pretty sorry console when it comes to software sales. I dont' agree with GGE's trolling tactics, but I do agree that the PSP is for all intended purposes a failure from the perspective of what Sony wanted it to achieve. It failed to make UMD a viable format on the market for Sony's portable media ambitions. It failed to usurp Nintendo's grip on the handheld market. It failed to fight piracy. It has failed to compete in software sales. And it has failed to strengthen Sony's relationship with third party developers, in fact it has only cast doubt on the PS3's future for many.

So far the only thing anyone has offered to contest the PSP being a failure is challenging the definition of the word "failure". For the record, I do believe the GC made a profit from day one, did the PSP? And if not, has the PSP selling at a profit now offset the initial losses it incured? And if so, can that monetary gain really be considered a success in lieu of the PSPs failure to do basically everything Sony wanted it to? Can a game console that doesn't sell games really be called a success, or more importantly, argued not a failure?

Naznatips, I respect you more than most members on this forum and respect your opinion, you're more than entitled to enjoy the PSP and hold hope for it. But your defending it as anything other than a dissapointment is a tad worrisome. I think you would benefit not to sully your hands with this debate anymore and swallow your pride on this one, I fear you may harm your credibility if this debate continues.

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

The Q2 fiscal quarter ended March 31st. The slim was released September 6th. That puts it near the end of Q4 2007.

Edit: To elaborate, basically there was a major holiday sales difference, and that's what your data is showing. Holiday sales are inclined to fluctuate more than any other time of the year, which makes that data some of the least relevant.

Objection!

Their Q2 financials end on September 30th, 2007 (Q1 ends June 30th, 2007).

Naz, please keep in mind that I have no axe to grind with yourself or Gamer Girl Elite. The data I'm presenting is also not mine rather it is Sony's straight from their own books. I'm not trying to actively attack your position that the PSP is doing well, rather I'm just posting data.

NM, I see your point.  I was thinking you were citing Q3 and Q4 for some reason.  Could you link to the financial reports you read though?

naznatips said:

NM, I see your point. I was thinking you were citing Q3 and Q4 for some reason. Could you link to the financial reports you read though?

Sure - Sony Financial documents.

If you find that I made a mistake in my presentation of the information, feel free to point it out.  I don't think I did but I read through quite a few of them quickly (and looking at older ones is a pain due to information displayed changing between years/reports).