By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why don't you believe in a god?

trestres said:
Jay520 said:

I believe in god because I can be happier knowing that when I die, I'll go to heaven. If I don't believe, then I'll just die in the dirt. That's a very bad feeling. I don't like bad feelings. Therefore, I believe in god so that I can have a more positive state of mind.

If you believe just for the sake of believing, then I don't think you will die happy. If you understand what you believe in then you will probably die happy. It's in humans nature to ask him/herself about his/her origins and about the end.

I decided to do some research into different religions a while ago. There were so many questions that came up, it made me question if there really  was a god. I couldn't accept it, so I didn't question it and kept telling myself to believe. I guess you could say I'm lying to myself, but I'm cool with it.

Around the Network

Organised religion was invented in ancient times in order to control and oppress others.

Smidlee said:

Even scientist claims 90% of the universe is not made up of matter. So the universe is made up 90% of nothing and 10 % of something then what is more real something or nothing?  What if everything is actually made of nothing? What exactly is this stuff we call matter? And does it really matter?

Ever notice the more scientist learns the more wacky their theories becomes.

It's not made up of 90% nothing it's made up of matter, antimatter, and darkmatter.  Yes matter we are made of is a small amount of what is in the universe and an equally small amount of antimatter makes up some of the rest of the universe, everything else is dark matter.

I don't really see what you're arguing with that statement though.

trestres said:
Smidlee said:

Even scientist claims 90% of the universe is not made up of matter. So the universe is made up 90% of nothing and 10 % of something then what is more real something or nothing?  What if everything is actually made of nothing? What exactly is this stuff we can matter? And does it really matter?

There's time in the universe. That "nothing" you claim is going through time and it's in space. It's not as simple as you believe. Universe is space plus time.

What about dark matter? Although it's just inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter the hypothesis is there.

I'm no physicist though but I've read some bizzare theories on our perception of time that made little sense to me!

Slimebeast said:
zgamer5 said:
Slimebeast said:
Armads said:
Slimebeast said:

It's because without God you can't explain reality.

From what we have observed so far in this physical world we can conclude that stuff don't come into being from nothing, so there must be an explanation outside this reality, forces beyond the observable physical world.

Then there are dozens of other reasons to believe in a God.

If you can't have something come from nothing then where did god come from?  If you say he's always been then that answer nulifys your own argument because then the same could be said for the universe.  If you say another god then the question must be asked again endlessly.

From what we know about our universe through observations time and time again stuff don't come out of nothing. Therefore there should be something beyond this universe, for example a god.

from what we know about our universe and the fact that if green land melts their will be an ice age, their are no such things as patterns and hence if we are created the universe shoudn't be created, also if god is part of your universe then he should abide by it laws, hence he must come out of something.

if god created the universe where was he when he did that? if he was in the void he would be non existent.

When God created the universe he was in the god-world.

That makes no sense, what created god?  What created god-world?  Even in god-world there must be rules and so something had to either have created god or god must have been eternal.  But with the latter option you're stuck with the same problem as I stated before:  Why believe that god has always existed in god-world and created our universe at some point rather than simply believing that our universe is eternal?  It adds unnecessary complexity to the explanation and therefore is less likely to be correct.  With the former option your stuck with the infinite loop of who created god/god-world and who created that god?  It goes on forever

Around the Network

I am both agnostic and atheist. I do not believe it is possible to know if there is a God but as there is no proof of one I certainly don't believe in one.

Basically my belief is that there is no supernatural, when it gets down to it everything can be explained. Though of course we still have explained bugger all, at least we're trying though.

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - Andre gide

Matter is created (and destroyed) all the time. It is happening billions and billions of times every second throughout the universe.  

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle says there is always an uncertainty in energy and time (this uncertainty has nothing to do with the equipment we use to take measurements with but is built into the very fabric of the universe). Even something with zero energy (like a perfect vacuum) has an uncertainty in energy. Therefore energy (and therefore matter (E=mc^2)) can be created out of nothing.

Type "Quantum Fluctuations" into google for more information on how a universe can be created out of nothing.  

tombi123 said:

Matter is created (and destroyed) all the time. It is happening billions and billions of times every second throughout the universe.  

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle says there is always an uncertainty in energy and time (this uncertainty has nothing to do with the equipment we use to take measurements with but is built into the very fabric of the universe). Even something with zero energy (like a perfect vacuum) has an uncertainty in energy. Therefore energy (and therefore matter (E=mc^2)) can be created out of nothing.

Type "Quantum Fluctuations" into google for more information on how a universe can be created out of nothing.  

Sometimes physics makes no sense...

Actually, most of the time it doesn't make sense.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Smidlee said:

Even scientist claims 90% of the universe is not made up of matter. So the universe is made up 90% of nothing and 10 % of something then what is more real something or nothing?  What if everything is actually made of nothing? What exactly is this stuff we call matter? And does it really matter?

Ever notice the more scientist learns the more wacky their theories becomes.

You can consider matter as being condensed energy like that Einsten dude already predicted in his famous equation. The rest that isn't normal matter is constituted of dark matter (inert "ghost" matter) and the remaining is dark energy, perhaps the most strange thing scientists ever discovered. It can be seen as the buffer that fills space, so to speak. One could say there is a tint of truth on old greek philosophers being right about an ether filling everything. It can even be a relaxing thought to know true nothingness simply does not seem to exist.

OT - I'm agnostic and I don't believe in the God of the abrahamic religions simply because a God caring for mankind would not allow suffering to exist, not in the horrific way we have in our world. That's my point of view anyways.

I will tell you why, and it is a very simple reason.

There is absolutely no more reason to believe in the bible, quran, etc. than there is to believe in fairies, leprechauns, ogres, trolls, centaurs, cycplops, etc. etc.

In fact, there is far more proof that dragons specifically are more real than ANY god that a human civilization has every imagined. There are stories of dragons all over the world from civilizations which had never even met or had anything in common, and at the same time they all have more or less the same details about dragons, the flying serpent breathing fire.

So a better question for you is this, why do you believe in God, but not fairies or unicorns or vampires? Just a quick addendum, before you start with " Moses and Jesus were real people" so were King Arthur and Robin Hood and maybe even Lancelot and Merlin, why do you not believe in them instead of your God? What makes YOUR god so more special than all the other fiction out there?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835