By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why don't you believe in a god?

I believe in god because I can be happier knowing that when I die, I'll go to heaven. If I don't believe, then I'll just die in the dirt. That's a very bad feeling. I don't like bad feelings. Therefore, I believe in god so that I can have a more positive state of mind.

Around the Network
dtewi said:
trestres said:
Smidlee said:
trestres said:
Smidlee said:

Even scientist claims 90% of the universe is not made up of matter. So the universe is made up 90% of nothing and 10 % of something then what is more real something or nothing?  What if everything is actually made of nothing? What exactly is this stuff we can matter? And does it really matter?

There's time in the universe. That "nothing" you claim is going through time and it's in space. It's not as simple as you believe. Universe is space plus time.

Exactly what is  space? Is space made out of nothing also? I would think space has to something yet it seems to be made of nothing.

Space confines you to the three dimensional universe. Time is the "fourth" dimension. These limits are believed by science to have started with the big bang. Outside that there are no dimensions.

Time isn't the fourth dimension.

Dimensions are spatial and time is not spatial.

That's the usual definition and that's disputed. Hence the " ". I did never claim time and space where the same concept.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
dharh said:
trestres said:
Not only matter, but the existance of anything. You can reason by yourself that your existance is not purely material, but espiritual as well. Although here I will be facing off some positivists. But we humans, can reason the existence of God and that we are espiritual beings (soul matter).

There are only two theoretical states. One in which nothing exists and one where existence exists. However, logically the state where nothing exists is impossible. You can't have a point in which nothing exists and then suddenly something exists. This includes God. Someone had to always exist. Existence exists, it has always been so and will always be so. It is the fundamental axiom of all things.

It matters little whether the thing that has always existed is some form of God or a universe or both. You cannot even prove which is which.

I don't even want to touch on the concept that we can make a sound logical argument that we have souls.

God is the existence itself.

Oh I love it when that argument comes up. Slap a whole new definition to a worth used since ancient times.

Still says nothing about whether god is an omnipotent _being_ that creates the laws of the universe. If god is existence itself then its merely a formal word for describing the universe as is and could be argued has really nothing to do with the general concept of god as being discussed in this thread.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Jay520 said:

I believe in god because I can be happier knowing that when I die, I'll go to heaven. If I don't believe, then I'll just die in the dirt. That's a very bad feeling. I don't like bad feelings. Therefore, I believe in god so that I can have a more positive state of mind.

If you believe just for the sake of believing, then I don't think you will die happy. If you understand what you believe in then you will probably die happy. It's in humans nature to ask him/herself about his/her origins and about the end.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Smidlee said:
trestres said:
Smidlee said:

Even scientist claims 90% of the universe is not made up of matter. So the universe is made up 90% of nothing and 10 % of something then what is more real something or nothing?  What if everything is actually made of nothing? What exactly is this stuff we can matter? And does it really matter?

There's time in the universe. That "nothing" you claim is going through time and it's in space. It's not as simple as you believe. Universe is space plus time.

Exactly what is  space? Is space made out of nothing also? I would think space has to something yet it seems to be made of nothing.

Space confines you to the three dimensional universe. Time is the "fourth" dimension. These limits are believed by science to have started with the big bang. Outside that there are no dimensions.

How does science believe? Are you sure there are only four dimensions?  Is not dimension something we measure and not to define what space really is? Is not time just a measurement?

Around the Network
dharh said:
trestres said:
dharh said:
trestres said:
Not only matter, but the existance of anything. You can reason by yourself that your existance is not purely material, but espiritual as well. Although here I will be facing off some positivists. But we humans, can reason the existence of God and that we are espiritual beings (soul matter).

There are only two theoretical states. One in which nothing exists and one where existence exists. However, logically the state where nothing exists is impossible. You can't have a point in which nothing exists and then suddenly something exists. This includes God. Someone had to always exist. Existence exists, it has always been so and will always be so. It is the fundamental axiom of all things.

It matters little whether the thing that has always existed is some form of God or a universe or both. You cannot even prove which is which.

I don't even want to touch on the concept that we can make a sound logical argument that we have souls.

Oh I love it when that argument comes up. Slap a whole new definition to a worth used since ancient times.

Still says nothing about whether god is an omnipotent _being_ that creates the laws of the universe. If god is existence itself then its merely a formal word for describing the universe as is and could be argued has really nothing to do with the general concept of god as being discussed in this thread.

No one can prove anything either ways, because that's beyond our rationale. But I do respect that you have an open mind and believe that there's a possibility of a superior being existing and sharing its existence. Either ways, the fact that this universe exists, but it hasn't existed once, means it's not a necessary being, therefore there was something existing before the universe. I choose to call that God, it's just a name we have for it.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Jay520 said:

If you believe just for the sake of believing, then I don't think you will die happy. If you understand what you believe in then you will probably die happy. It's in humans nature to ask him/herself about his/her origins and about the end.

And that's how religion comes into play if I understand correctly. =P

I am a Breakout Bat.
I am an abstract sort of creature, who dislikes any sort of restraint. If you try to pigeonhole me, I'll break the box, and come back for more. I don't have any particular ambitions, I just drift, but I am adept at keeping life going along.

What Video Game Character Are You?

Proud Member of the Mega Mario Movement Yummy Yoshi Yankees

Smidlee said:
trestres said:
Smidlee said:
trestres said:
Smidlee said:

How does science believe? Are you sure there are only four dimensions?  Is not dimension something we measure and not to define what space really is? Is not time just a measurement?

Space is purely a mathematical definition. In Maths, there can be n-dimensional spaces, with n being the number of dimensions. What we know for real is that what we can perceive are 3 dimensions and that we are going forwards in time. We are confined to 3 spatial dimensions in this universe though.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Old Rock said:
trestres said:
Jay520 said:

And that's how religion comes into play if I understand correctly. =P

A man can understand its own origins without the help of religion though. Philosophy is based purely on reasoning, while religion is based on faith.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
dharh said:
trestres said:

No one can prove anything either ways, because that's beyond our rationale. But I do respect that you have an open mind and believe that there's a possibility of a superior being existing and sharing its existence. Either ways, the fact that this universe exists, but it hasn't existed once, means it's not a necessary being, therefore there was something existing before the universe. I choose to call that God, it's just a name we have for it.

Oh yes the possibility is there, cannot even be refuted. It's just actually believing in an actual one of those possibilities over another, begs me to refute it. ;) 

"Either ways, the fact that this universe exists, but it hasn't existed once, means it's not a necessary being, therefore there was something existing before the universe. I choose to call that God, it's just a name we have for it."

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but we cannot prove that the universe hasn't always existed, that the big bang theory isn't merely an incomplete view of a larger possibility called the cyclical universe theory (universe experiences a series of crunches and bangs forever). We do not know whether even needs to be something existing before the universe.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.