By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why don't you believe in a god?

dtewi said:
dharh said:
Porcupine_I said:

I don't believe in a God, because i can't believe in a all powerful, all knowing perfect being that creates.

Creation is a act of challenge, to create something new, something better, something that has not been done before.

A perfect being would not create anything, it is all knowing, the moment it just thinks about creating it already knows how it would turn out and how it will end, there is no point in creating it.

a perfect being is all powerful it can create whatever it wants, but there is no challenge, because everything would work out perfectly, the being itself is perfect, why would it need to create anything new, it could never be better.

any being that creates is not a god.

That's actually a pretty good one.

Loopholes are fun to make, but in the end they're all moot when talking about God?

Why? God is omnipotent and omniscient. He knows how to bypass the loopholes because he knows and can do everything. We lower beings can't comprehend the magnitude of God.

It's just a bit unique.

Here's a question for you guys. Why do we have to assume god is omnipotent and omniscient? Some religions even suggest their god is in fact not any of those things.

If we can't comprehend the magnitude of god, can we even comprehend god at all? Are any of our machinations about god even remotely within the ballpark? We can't even know apparently. Even then, since there is no proof, we are all shooting in the dark.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
trestres said:

I'm basing myself on what science has said. The universe has boundaries, the universe is expanding.
Plus I don't think you understand what I'm trying to tell you. Beings outside the universe would be immaterial, infinite, atemporal, undivisable. It's impossible to understand since we are in a universe where matter and time are part of our lives. But the fact that matter or time cannot exist by their own, means there's something that has been the source for it. You can't get something out of nothing, that's one of the basic principles of logic.

I said that something wasn't created out of nothing.

I am saying that matter did not spring from nothing, the Big Bang didn't make matter. It was always there.

You're still saying that it was from nothing, but it wasn't. 

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I agree with trestres. I think that is a much more logically satisfying explanation for our existence than to accept that our universe came out of nothing by itself.

Slimebeast said:

I agree with trestres. I think that is a much more logically satisfying explanation for our existence than to accept that our universe came out of nothing by itself.

It wasn't from nothing!

I've said this 3 times now.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Slimebeast said:

It wasn't from nothing!

So who or what made that matter?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
dtewi said:
trestres said:

I'm basing myself on what science has said. The universe has boundaries, the universe is expanding.
Plus I don't think you understand what I'm trying to tell you. Beings outside the universe would be immaterial, infinite, atemporal, undivisable. It's impossible to understand since we are in a universe where matter and time are part of our lives. But the fact that matter or time cannot exist by their own, means there's something that has been the source for it. You can't get something out of nothing, that's one of the basic principles of logic.

I said that something wasn't created out of nothing.

I am saying that matter did not spring from nothing, the Big Bang didn't make matter. It was always there.

You're still saying that it was from nothing, but it wasn't. 

I'm not saying it was from nothing. God is something.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
dtewi said:
Slimebeast said:

It wasn't from nothing!

Didn't I say I don't know the source?

I can understand your reasoning and it makes some sense, but is that your reasoning for God? The fact that we can't prove matter's source?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Boutros said:
dtewi said:
BHR-3 said:

b/c ive experienced certain things in my life that couldnt be explained the only explanation i could come up with is that there was a higher power controlling things, altering them

What were these events?

His video game sales premonitions :P

You're so mean!

sorry i thought the thread said why do you

thats the reason i do believe in

and no there not my sales premonitions

you dont want to know what these events were

Play Me

Slimebeast said:

How much more logically satisfying is it to have a god that came from nothing than the universe coming from nothing?

At least with the universe we have some semblance of an explanation for our current state of existence (current expansion, origin of said expansion, formation of planets and stars, evolution of life, etc). Scientifically backed up explanations. With religion we have nothing but books, word of mouth, and circular logic. 

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dtewi said:
trestres said:
dtewi said:
Slimebeast said:

It wasn't from nothing!

Didn't I say I don't know the source?

I can understand your reasoning and it makes some sense, but is that your reasoning for God? The fact that we can't prove matter's source?

That's the thing though. Unless we know the source of matter I interpret it as matter coming from God. Think of it as a starting point. We cannot prove or disprove it but at least we have a lead to go to. Even if God isn't what we all assume to be, whether God is an omniscient being or everything in the universe, we can use this interpretation to eventually lead us to the truth.

I am a Breakout Bat.
I am an abstract sort of creature, who dislikes any sort of restraint. If you try to pigeonhole me, I'll break the box, and come back for more. I don't have any particular ambitions, I just drift, but I am adept at keeping life going along.

What Video Game Character Are You?

Proud Member of the Mega Mario Movement Yummy Yoshi Yankees