By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why don't you believe in a god?

dharh said:
zgamer5 said:
Slimebeast said:

They're good questions but so common that I guess it gets tiring to address them so often.

As for the last one, there's also a strong correlation between intelligence and stance against immigration. But from what I understand you're a big sceptic about immigration yourself. Something ain't right just because intellectuals believe in it.

we are in a world where proof is needed, if it would exist their would be proof, yes you would say we didnt find it yet? then howcome we have more then 3 billion people who believe in such a proofless idea? lets relate things to gaming, i could come and say the ds sold 500 million units without proof, does that mean its true? ofcourse their is proof against it, but their is also proof against god.

Why would 3 billion people believe in a concept with zero proof? Simple. Its easy, its comforting, and its what their parents, grandparents, etc believed in. It ain't easy to go against what you were exposed to for all your childhood.

The biggest reasons (don't read this as proof, as said before, there is no proof against or for god) against a god of one particular religion is that there are so many different religions. The Biggest 3, despite their insistence on being one and the same god for each of the 3, have wildly different gods. So which one is correct? Suggesting that it doesn't matter which destroys all credibility.

Here's a concept for people who claim there had to be a beginning and god must be it.

Existence must exist.

The line that goes 'you can't have something from nothing' precludes the concept that there cannot and never has been nothing.

lol i was saying that since 3 people believe in a god their should be proof, but their isn't :P i wasn't asking how 3 billion people believe in him.

i don't use the fact the world is corrupt or that their are 3 religions( they are very alike) as proof against god. i use ocaim's razor, the void theory, the 9 rules of living things, spontaneous regeneration, the theory of evolution, i take the description of "god" and prove how an omnipotent god who has no control over the devil, who has emotions .... is impossible. i talk about the coincidence of life, and that their are no patterns in the world.

all im saying is that the fact that their are so many different religions isnt a reason not to believe in god.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

I don't believe in a God, because i can't believe in a all powerful, all knowing perfect being that creates.

Creation is a act of challenge, to create something new, something better, something that has not been done before.

A perfect being would not create anything, it is all knowing, the moment it just thinks about creating it already knows how it would turn out and how it will end, there is no point in creating it.

a perfect being is all powerful it can create whatever it wants, but there is no challenge, because everything would work out perfectly, the being itself is perfect, why would it need to create anything new, it could never be better.

any being that creates is not a god.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:

I don't believe in a God, because i can't believe in a all powerful, all knowing perfect being that creates.

Creation is a act of challenge, to create something new, something better, something that has not been done before.

A perfect being would not create anything, it is all knowing, the moment it just thinks about creating it already knows how it would turn out and how it will end, there is no point in creating it.

a perfect being is all powerful it can create whatever it wants, but there is no challenge, because everything would work out perfectly, the being itself is perfect, why would it need to create anything new, it could never be better.

That's actually a pretty good one.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
Porcupine_I said:

and i even have a solution

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

dtewi said:

Because I'm being realistic.

The only proof of God is a 2,000 year old book that is not scientific at all.

The universe did not spring from "nothing". I suggest many of you read about some more of the universe's origins than just the Big Bang.

The Oscillating Universe Theory says that the universe ends with a Big Crunch then starts again with a Big Bang. Basically this means that everything has existed forever. It didn't just spring out of nothing, it was just there.

Although this is the same reasoning as God, that everything was just there.

One of the most basic principles of the universe is that matter cannot be destroyed nor created. So the Big Bang did not create any matter, everything in existence was condensed into an infinitely dense point. Many of you are thinking that everything came from nothing, but that is simply not true.

Where did that matter come from? No one knows the answer. Many people are using this as the validation of a God. But the idea that a divine superpower (which need I remind you was also there for all existence, something which you think is impossible for the physical universe) created everything is the most implausible answer of them all.

Wow...

I'm sure you have no idea of what you are talking about now. Do you really think God is only believed to exist by Christians? The notion of God has been brought up way before the big 3 actual monotheist religions came into existance. I don't agree with any of those religions, because they mix traditions and a future history of salvation with the notion of God.

God by itself is an immaterial and atemporal being that trascends this universe. God is the explanation to all the material things. Time itself isn't infinite, it has a beginning. Matter also has a beginning, as proven by science. You said yourself, that you can't explain how that initial condensed mass came into being. The notions of time and matter are only applicable to this universe, outside the universe there's no such thing as matter or time. Therefore believeing that there cannot be anything that's eternal is not logical. If there's something outside the universe, it is eternal (atemporal) and immaterial. That very same thing is god. Do not mix the God from the religions with the notion of God.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
dharh said:
Porcupine_I said:

Loopholes are fun to make, but in the end they're all moot when talking about God?

Why? God is omnipotent and omniscient. He knows how to bypass the loopholes because he knows and can do everything. We lower beings can't comprehend the magnitude of God.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

trestres said:
dtewi said:

The universe did not spring from "nothing". I suggest many of you read about some more of the universe's origins than just the Big Bang.

The Oscillating Universe Theory says that the universe ends with a Big Crunch then starts again with a Big Bang. Basically this means that everything has existed forever. It didn't just spring out of nothing, it was just there.

One of the most basic principles of the universe is that matter cannot be destroyed nor created. So the Big Bang did not create any matter, everything in existence was condensed into an infinitely dense point. Many of you are thinking that everything came from nothing, but that is simply not true.

Where did that matter come from? No one knows the answer. Many people are using this as the validation of a God. But the idea that a divine superpower (which need I remind you was also there for all existence, something which you think is impossible for the physical universe) created everything is the most implausible answer of them all.

Wow...

I'm sure you have no idea of what you are talking about now. Do you really think God is only believed to exist by Christians? The notion of God has been brought up way before the big 3 actual monotheist religions came into existance. I don't agree with any of those religions, because they mix traditions and a future history of salvation with the notion of God.

God by itself is an immaterial and atemporal being that trascends this universe. God is the explanation to all the material things. Time itself isn't infinite, it has a beginning. Matter also has a beginning, as proven by science. You said yourself, that you can't explain how that initial condensed mass came into being. The notions of time and matter are only applicable to this universe, outside the universe there's no such thing as matter or time. Therefore believeing that there cannot be anything that's eternal is not logical. If there's something outside the universe, it is eternal (atemporal) and immaterial. That very same thing is god. Do not mix the God from the religions with the notion of God.

The simple reason I used the Bible was because I didn't feel like looking up how old the Quran was.

Got it?

You're saying that anything that is not of this universe is God? Well OK, even though this thread is talking about the omnipotent, omniscient being that created everything.

We don't even know if there is anything outside of this universe, or even if this universe has an end. You can't assume that there is because it's not even proven. It's logical to believe that there are other physical constants outside of this universe (if there is anything outside of this universe) but why would you believe that that is God?

It is perfectly acceptable to believe in the theory of "Beings outside of the universe" thing you brought up. But this needs the assumption that the universe is finite and there is something outside of it, something that you can't prove.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Porcupine_I said:

So God cannot share its act of existing? You mean he couldn't have done it in an act of love.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

I don't believe in the popular depiction of God as a humanoid male. How daft is that!

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

dtewi said:
trestres said:
dtewi said:

Wow...

The simple reason I used the Bible was because I didn't feel like looking up how old the Quran was.

Got it?

You're saying that anything that is not of this universe is God? Well OK, even though this thread is talking about the omnipotent, omniscient being that created everything.

We don't even know if there is anything outside of this universe, or even if this universe has an end. You can't assume that there is because it's not even proven. It's logical to believe that there are other physical constants outside of this universe (if there is anything outside of this universe) but why would you believe that that is God?

It is perfectly acceptable to believe in the theory of "Beings outside of the universe" thing you brought up. But this needs the assumption that the universe is finite and there is something outside of it, something that you can't prove.

I'm basing myself on what science has said. The universe has boundaries, the universe is expanding.
Plus I don't think you understand what I'm trying to tell you. Beings outside the universe would be immaterial, infinite, atemporal, undivisable. It's impossible to understand since we are in a universe where matter and time are part of our lives. But the fact that matter or time cannot exist by their own, means there's something that has been the source for it. You can't get something out of nothing, that's one of the basic principles of logic.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies