By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I just realized that Nintendo will stay in first place for a long time

I'm sorry, if I had known that this forum was frequented by shallow sports titles I would not have said such mean things about them. I hope these games can find it in the shiny hearts of their data discs to forgive me for being so insulting towards them.

Around the Network
Qays said:

People who neither like video games nor know anything about them purchase the Wii so that they can play shallow sports-related shovelware. They do not care about good games like Mario or Zelda. That is the essence of the Blue Ocean strategy.

And Wii Sports is pretty clearly shovelware. It is completely and utterly lacking in depth and artistic merit. It is the opposite of what a good game should be.

Only thing that makes a good game worth anything is, Is it fun?  It seems to have that for millions of people.

"Qays said:

People who neither like video games nor know anything about them purchase the Wii so that they can play shallow sports-related shovelware. They do not care about good games like Mario or Zelda. That is the essence of the Blue Ocean strategy.

And Wii Sports is pretty clearly shovelware. It is completely and utterly lacking in depth and artistic merit. It is the opposite of what a good game should be."

You're pretty arrogant aren't you mister?

Above: still the best game of the year.

"Only thing that makes a good game is, Is it fun?  It seems to have that for millions of people."

How silly. What other artform can be judged entirely on how "fun" it is?

This is, I think, the fundamental difference between the games as art crowd and the Blue Ocean strategy: the latter rejects the very notion that there could be anything more meaningful than sales in determining the worth of a game. If a music critic showed up who praised artists based exclusively on how many records they sold he would be laughed out of town. The same for a literary critic who declared whatever happened to be at the top of the bestseller list the best book in the country, or a film critic who declared that Avatar had taken Titanic's crown as the best film in all of history the moment it grossed more at the box office.

A game's worth is not traceable to how many copies it sells, nor can it be discerned from how accessible or enjoyable it is to most people.

"You're pretty arrogant aren't you mister?"

Is someone who scoffs at the idea that Twilight constitutes respectable literature arrogant? Is someone who refuses to acknowledge Miley Cyrus's worth as an artist arrogant?

Perhaps. If so, arrogance is a burden I shall gladly thole.

Around the Network
Qays said:

"Only thing that makes a good game is, Is it fun?  It seems to have that for millions of people."

How silly. What other artform can be judged entirely on how "fun" it is?

This is, I think, the fundamental difference between the games as art crowd and the Blue Ocean strategy: the latter rejects the very notion that there could be anything more meaningful than sales in determining the worth of a game. If a music critic showed up who praised artists based exclusively on how many records they sold he would be laughed out of town. The same for a literary critic who declared whatever happened to be at the top of the bestseller list the best book in the country, or a film critic who declared that Avatar had taken Titanic's crown as the best film in all of history the moment it grossed more at the box office.

A game's worth is not traceable to how many copies it sells, nor can it be discerned from how accessible or enjoyable it is to most people.

Nice twisting. Do you know one person who is going to play a game that is not fun for more than a little bit? Know anyone who is going to dance if they dont find it fun for more than a litle bit? Know anyone who is going to watch a movie they dont find fun for more than a little bit? Do you know anyone who is going to stay at a music show that they are not having fun with? If so call them ...............  Other than doing somthing like this to watch your kids have fun, or go along because a GF BF or Good friend asked you to, its not going to happen. Try again this is entertaining me.
BTW trying to fit me into the Blue Ocean crowd is funny as hell as I have owned consoles and games since I was little.

"Nice twisting. Do you know one person who is going to play a game that is not fun for more than a little bit? Know anyone who is going to dance if they dont find it fun for more than a litle bit? Know anyone who is going to watch a movie they dont find fun for more than a little bit? Do you know anyone who is going to stay at a music show that they are not having fun with?"

That some people can have fun playing shallow games means nothing. Some people can have fun reading Twilight and listening to Miley Cyrus. These are the people that we tend to ignore in our day to day lives because they are the people who have bad taste in things.

Qays said:

"Nice twisting. Do you know one person who is going to play a game that is not fun for more than a little bit? Know anyone who is going to dance if they dont find it fun for more than a litle bit? Know anyone who is going to watch a movie they dont find fun for more than a little bit? Do you know anyone who is going to stay at a music show that they are not having fun with?"

That some people can have fun playing shallow games means nothing. Some people can have fun reading Twilight and listening to Miley Cyrus. These are the people that we tend to ignore in our day to day lives because they are the people who have bad taste in things.

You like things that I do not like, therefore you have bad taste! Are you by chance from 4chan?

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

"You like things that I do not like, therefore you have bad taste!"

Not at all. I do not like Oblivion, but people who like Oblivion have good taste. I do not like Janelle Monáe, but people who like Janelle Monáe have good taste. I do not like Hemingway, but people who like Hemingway have good taste.

Qays said:

"You like things that I do not like, therefore you have bad taste!"

Not at all. I do not like Oblivion, but people who like Oblivion have good taste. I do not like Janelle Monáe, but people who like Janelle Monáe have good taste. I do not like Hemingway, but people who like Hemingway have good taste.

It's obvious that you do not have the same level of dislike for those things than you do for Miley Cyrus and Wii fitness games.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.