By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I just realized that Nintendo will stay in first place for a long time

I don't think the U-mote has been made for the 'hardcore' gamer, I think it's for the 'hardcore' developer (and the developers that made their million on the DS). If the hardcore dev uses and likes it then we'll see 'hardcore' games with exclusive hardcoreness thanks to the DS XXXLmote.

I can understand why a dev would choose power over motion controls this gen but I think they'd rather play with the u-mote than an incremental power increase next time.

If Nintendo gives 'them' the u-mote and they like it whilst N ignores it and delivers motion plus games instead then they'll win next gen but are unlikely to have Wii-like success.

However, I think the Wii could go on to reach PS2 levels and WiiU could simultaneously win next gen if N release Wii versions of every WiiU M+ game, assuming they are real Nintendo games of Pokemon/Wii Sports quality. Motion plus and the U-mote are incompatible as far as I can see. It's one or the other.

Best case scenario is that the hc love the DSi XXXL with their hc games and so WiiU gets 3rd party support meanwhile N are releasing M+ games for both Wii and WiiU. Combine this with N actually using the Virtual Console correctly and leveraging compatibility with the portables, DS slot on WiiU, 3ds as WiiU controller, VC games available to 3DS and WiiU, cross platform play between WiiU and 3ds and they have it sewn up.

Plus, I still think Nintendo are holding something back. I want to see the new sensor bar.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Qays said:

People who neither like video games nor know anything about them purchase the Wii so that they can play shallow sports-related shovelware. They do not care about good games like Mario or Zelda. That is the essence of the Blue Ocean strategy.

And Wii Sports is pretty clearly shovelware. It is completely and utterly lacking in depth and artistic merit. It is the opposite of what a good game should be.

Wii Sports is awesome!  Just because you don't like it or it's shallow doesn't mean it's shovelware.  Wii Sports Resort is awesome as well.

RolStoppable said:

I am right.

What I was wrong about was that I assumed that Nintendo wouldn't repeat the same mistakes again so soon, hence the thread title. But you will notice that I outlined two scenarios in my original post. One where Nintendo would stay on top by continuing the mission they started with the Wii (that is expanding gaming) and another one where they would fail, because they decide to go after the hardcore gamers again. This year's E3 sealed the deal on where Nintendo's going in the next five or so years.

they are repeating the same mistake, sadly that sucks i loved the wii/ds direction ninty took

maybe they can make some super amazing games to counter it though instead of just amazing ones though, cross my fingerss

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Since the N64, people have bought Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games. People will buy the Wii U when they realize they can't play the next NSMB on Wii. Nintendo's goal is to obviously cater to 3rd parties and get massive support as well. If You have first party Nintendo games, and all major 3rd party games, then why would you need any other console?

Everyone acts like Nintendo needs to cater to the casuals to survive, and yet Sony get's away with making solely hardcore systems (PS1, 2, 3) that sell to the masses (ps1,2) yet Nintendo can't do the same? Why was the PS2 such a success? It had all the third party developers and was easy to develop for. Why did it get all the third party support? probably because it carried over from PS1 where third parties jumped ship from Nintendo because they didn't want to use cartridges. Now that MS is solid competition, that PS2 is market is split between the two with Nintendo picking up all the casual gamers.

If Nintendo truly does get third party support next generation, I see no reason why it won't be successful. They are trying to innovate with the controller to capture the casual audience once again. They are making it more powerful to capture the hardcore audience. The only way to get a dominant system is to have both, and Nintendo might pull it off. IF MS/Sony launch late (2014+) Then Nintendo will have 2 years of being the graphics king. Which could be enough to get a significant hardware lead and established software library.

My guess is that the system will launch with 2 controllers packed in, one wii remote plus+nunchuck plus the new controller. I expect it to be $400, but I don't think price will be an issue. Consoles were $200 in the NES days which is probably more expensive than $400 today. Also, casual consumers shell out way more for an IPad which sells a ton.

If Nintendo solely went after the casual audience again, they would probably be in last place next generation. If they solely went hardcore, they would probably fall behind because they can't compete with Sony/MS's deep pockets. By doing both they can come out ahead. What they are doing now is what needed to be done, and how it plays out? we will have to wait and see.

Either way, I can see a much closer race between all 3 if Sony/MS launch in 2013. If they launch in 2014 or later. I can see Wii U selling 100 million+ with the other two in the 60-70 range as in this generation.