By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I just realized that Nintendo will stay in first place for a long time

I want Rare back :(

Around the Network
mhsillen said:
Qays said:

"The wii did go back to nintendos roots.  Games easy to pick up but with a degree of difficulty."

Wii Sports has a "degree of difficulty"? Wii Fit does? Wii Play? Because those are the Wii's killer apps, not games like Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess.

Yes NSMB wii is harder than any FPS clone on the hd twins.  It has a degree of difficulty as does galaxy.

O.O

Super Mario Galaxy is the easiest Mario game I've played and NSMBWii is, overall, rather easy.

It's not like you've played all "FPS clone on the hd twins" anyways lol

LOL...seems like Qays is showing classic signs of anti-wii emotional breakdown. Anyone have a Wii-bash bingo card for him?

Qays, i'd be very interested in you producing any kind of research or analysis that supports you "people who dont like video games purchase a Wii" claim and your "The only games that drive Wii demand are WiiFit and Wii sports" claim. Honestly, is there anyway you can show us it isn't something you made up on the spot?

Just face it, Nintendo has simply done a better job of making software people WANT to play and purchase. And if gamerankings is to be believed, they are have made the two highest quality games of this generation. Either way, if you argue art or sales... you lose.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Boutros said:
mhsillen said:
Qays said:

"The wii did go back to nintendos roots.  Games easy to pick up but with a degree of difficulty."

Wii Sports has a "degree of difficulty"? Wii Fit does? Wii Play? Because those are the Wii's killer apps, not games like Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess.

Yes NSMB wii is harder than any FPS clone on the hd twins.  It has a degree of difficulty as does galaxy.

O.O

Super Mario Galaxy is the easiest Mario game I've played and NSMBWii is, overall, rather easy.

it is a difficult game 

mhsillen said:
Boutros said:
mhsillen said:
Qays said:

O.O

it is a difficult game 

So is Kill Zone 2 (Especially so on harder difficulties).  And NSMB isn't nearly as hard as you are portraying. 

Around the Network
mhsillen said:
Rpruett said:
Qays said:

Doesn't it make more sense to view Nintendo's current dominance as the exception and not the rule? It is, after all, built not at all on the traditional Nintendo formula: storybook adventure games that hide deep mechanics beneath their cheerful façades. Rather, the Wii has sold on the back of low-quality sports sims.

Nintendo has found a profitable niche. But it's nothing at all like the niche they've had for themselves in the past.

^^

This speaks volumes to me.  Very little the Wii has done this generation has had the footprint of the traditional Nintendo formula.  They are in somewhat uncharted territory as far as I'm concerned.  And regardless of your stance on Nintendo/Sony/MS it's tine to admit that Nintendo has indeed found themselves a niche in gaming this generation.

Something very comparable to the niche that Guitar Hero found. This isn't a matter of 'being themselves' it's a matter of catching lightning in a bottle. 

The wii did go back to nintendos roots.  Games easy to pick up but with a degree of difficulty. Games that harken back to arcades like wii sports mario kart and nsmb.  Lightning in a bottle as you call it makes it sound like it was luck when it wasn't.

A niche is a small little market but MS and Sony are a niche with shooters and more shooters andgrey dark visuals.

The wii brings me back to 1988 when I purchased an nes for my 2 young boys and we all got hooked.

Every Nintendo since SNES has had a version of Mario Kart.  Wii Sports really doesn't have an immense amount of difficulty.  I've witnessed 9 years olds bowling close to 300's after a short period of time.  Sure it was somewhat luck (Not in the sense that Nintendo had hopes it would succeed but in the sense that it turned out as big as it did). 

The Wii sold 15 million consoles it's first year on the market.  What games did it bring to the table?

A niche is only small relatively to what we are comparing (The world).  The Wii has found a niche of the world that loves those games.  Similar in vein to what Harmonix did with the Guitar Hero series.  As mentioned earlier,  what stops MS or Sony from doing the same?  Except adding more depth?  Immediately, you have a niche that is no longer Nintendo's. A niche that Nintendo had in the making for 2 generations prior.  Now it will be gone.  

To me it seems,  that this is a typical "I can't be wrong" type of thread.  If Nintendo loses next generation,  then Rol would say that Nintendo wasn't themselves. If they win next generation, Rol would say that they were.  (Which most likely his reason to make the thread).  It's pointless to defend the truth.  The Wii is really the anti-thesis of Nintendo's traditional strategy.

In terms of your numerous 'shooter' references (Polarizing all HD fans as FPS lovers...A hilarious typical "Nintendo" assumption that if reversed would lead to bans) Call of Duty's sales prove that the series is every bit as 'mainstream' as any other Wii game.

I haven't see this many rabid anti-wii fanboys in quite a while

so...much...fail

senseinobaka said:

LOL...seems like Qays is showing classic signs of anti-wii emotional breakdown. Anyone have a Wii-bash bingo card for him?

Qays, i'd be very interested in you producing any kind of research or analysis that supports you "people who dont like video games purchase a Wii" claim and your "The only games that drive Wii demand are WiiFit and Wii sports" claim. Honestly, is there anyway you can show us it isn't something you made up on the spot?

Just face it, Nintendo has simply done a better job of making software people WANT to play and purchase. And if gamerankings is to be believed, they are have made the two highest quality games of this generation. Either way, if you argue art or sales... you lose.

I don't see how you came to this conclusion. Many of the things he is saying is just pretty truthful stuff. Straight to the point of the matter.  What he means when "people who don't like video games purchase a Wii" he is talking about the people we all know who own Wii's now.  The non-tradtional gamers who have long ago written off gaming and just bought one one day.   We know Nintendo has 'grown' the market this generation (Wonder what they mean when they say that?).  Non-gamers were turned into 'gamers' (Atleast in this current generation) in large part due to the non-tradional gaming Apps that Nintendo has put out.

In terms of qualifying his Wii Sports / Wii Fit claim?   How many Nintendo Wii's sold during it's first year of operation?   (15 million or so?)  How many quality exclusive titles released that year?  How many big Wii exclusive sellers sold that year?   I see Galaxy and Corruption.  (Along with Wii Sports / Wii Play).    

Galaxy didn't release till November 2007.  (So practically 15 million Wii's were off the shelves before it's "killer" app hit.  Corruption didn't hit till practically September 2007.  Using the Chartz tools here, the Wii had sold over 10,000,000 consoles BEFORE any game came out for the Wii worth noting.    Wii Play / Wii Sports essentially were the only true exclusive apps for the Wii for most of the Wii's first year in existence.   I would say that is a decent example of showing the Wii had tons of sales driven by Wii Sports single handedly. Providing it superb sales first year.

During the Wii's second year on the market, I see two bigger titles in (Mario Kart / Smash Brothers) and Wii Fit.  I see 22.5 million Wii's sold. Which totals us to around 37 million Wii's off the shelves.  (Close to the 360/PS3 current numbers, in two years). 

With now :  Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers , Corruption , Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play on the market as exclusive titles/bigger sellers.

Now physically looking at the sales of these games,  what placement would you rank these games in terms of sales?  I mean if these were games that really DROVE the Wii's success you would think the numbers would really correlate this right?   Super Mario Galaxy sits at 9th on the Wii's list of software.  Super Smash Brothers at 8th, Mario Kart at 4th, Corruption at 38th.   While Wii Sports sits at #1 (Outselling all games above combined, it's bundled), Wii Play (bundled) sits at number 2, Wii Fit sits at number 3.

Now just discounting games that have been bundled (Since that's deceptive) for a minute.  With a 70 million userbase and all this killer software that everyone wants....Why then does a vast majority of the Top Wii Software sold relate to fitness games or rip off sports games?  Let's be honest here, a very large portion of the software that has dominated the Wii's software sales has been Wii Sports / (Or rip-offs/sequels) and Wii Fitness / (Or rip-offs/sequels).  Since we all know that software heavily influences sales,  I would say it's a fair point to make that most people who own a Wii own it for (XYZ) Sports game or (XYZ) Fitness game, first and foremost.

"Qays, i'd be very interested in you producing any kind of research or analysis that supports you "people who dont like video games purchase a Wii" claim and your "The only games that drive Wii demand are WiiFit and Wii sports" claim. Honestly, is there anyway you can show us it isn't something you made up on the spot?"

Ummm, how about the fact that most of the bestselling games on the Wii are shallow sports sims, party games, minigames, etc?

Let's take a look at every Wii game that's sold more than four million:

Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, M&SOG, Mario Party 8, Link's Crossbow Training, Guitar Hero III

Mario Kart Wii, NSMBW, SSBB, SMG, Twilight Princess

Of these games only the five that I set aside have any sort of merit as video games. The absolute majority of the bestselling Wii titles are shovelware. What clearer evidence do you need? People don't buy the console to play good games, generally speaking (there will always be exceptions). They buy the console to play utter tripe.

"Just face it, Nintendo has simply done a better job of making software people WANT to play and purchase. And if gamerankings is to be believed, they are have made the two highest quality games of this generation. Either way, if you argue art or sales... you lose."

Lol. This is what baffles me about arguing with Wii fans. My problem isn't with Mario, it's with the shovelware. I've never once questioned Super Mario Galaxy's artistic merit. The problem is that the very presence of  Super Mario Galaxy is not enough to change the fact that the Wii sells largely on the back of shovelware. Similarly, the very presence of Super Mario Galaxy as a sort of killer app does not change the fact that of the truly excellent games released this generation, the overwhelming majority have been on the 360 and the PS3.

"You probably think a game like Heavy Rain has artistic merit when in fact it could be considered a game with cheesy dialogue"

No, I think Heavy Rain is utter shit.