By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Female protagonist? What do you think?

Terra is my favorite female lead in a game ever! Then comes Samus Aran.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Around the Network
pokeclaudel said:

Well I like playing as Samus and Lara but not really anyone else. Lara doesn't do anything super unrealistic by fighting animals and transversing buildings and caves and samus is in a power suit so it makes sense for her strength is not her own. But if lara was doing the things that Nathan Drake was doing I'd wouldn't be interested in the game. Females can be side characters in the same group as the main male protagonist like with tifa in FF7 but I perfer not to play as them. Which is also why I dislike games with gender locked classes.

Why can't females do what males do?

Video game characters do not represent any kind of average. They're extraordinary individuals for whom mean averages mean nothing.

i prefer female protagonist.  i don't project myself onto the character generally, unless it's someone truly identity-less like in portal.  generally i perceive game characters more like friends.  in real life most of my friends are girls so i guess i prefer the same in video games.  

either way though, as long as the game is fun i'm not bothered.

People should play more Bayonetta and worry less about if the character on their screen has a penis or not.

P.S: WET is a decent game for $10, it's got a couple of flaws, but it's a pretty fun game.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I always choose females in RPGs. I've had female dwarven fighters, but never done a female half-orc barbarian.

Any type of personality can be female, and in a fantasy setting there's no problem with females being physically strong (after all in some species the female is physically stronger). If it's futuristic, same thing applies even with human characters, after all genetic engineering and stuff can create human females who are every bit as strong as males. Contemporary "real world" female characters should physically fit within range of expectations for female physicality, if the game is going for realism.

I think it's a bit odd if people fell "not right" about playing as a female character in games.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
JWS said:

I always create a female character when the game allows. I have no desire to see some guys backside for 50 hours of gameplay. Now looking at a female's rear end while she is running and fighting all i'll say is hell yes!

p.s. I dont let them wear clothes either if it can be helped.

That's exactly what I do. For the same reasons.

Sadly I was forced to wear some armor after the first few missions in Monster Hunter 3, because the game is too difficult to finish it naked. (At least for me.)

I like (more) a female lead, as long as her relationship is with me (the player).

If I were to play with a female character that socially interacts with the NPC males then NO.

So to summarize: In multiplayers/RPGs i play as male. In single players I like(prefere) to lead a woman, cause they are nice to look at. And I'm like taking care of them....good thing they're not real :)...:?...:!...:(, they're not real?...NOOOOOOOOO

there fine to me kosmos from xenosaga is one of my favorite leads

I don't mind what gender the main protogonist

I care if it is male (like Mario), female (like Samus) or a robot

However, with female protagonists and me it is always going to be a case of 'once bitten twice shy' considering my fiasco with Bridget 

I like them. I've seen all those usual male space marines, soldiers, warriors, and commanders, and I'm mostly tired with them. Yes, strong female characters can be a bit unrealistic, which is bad, but they don't have to be. They can be done well, and even if not, it's some change to what we usually have. Heck, whenever I have the chance to create a character myself, it's usually female. They're nicer to look, too, even if they don't look gorgeous :P