By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Female protagonist? What do you think?

I_hate_Itagaki said:
haxxiy said:

Well inside a hardcore gaming culture were 90% of consumers are males (or females who want to be males), I think it is somewhat expected female protagonist to be generally badly received. Having somewhat studied psychology (and having my mother as one), I can say that most people forge a link with the protagonists, projecting themselves into the characters, and many are unconfortable on seeing themselves as a woman. On the other side, some people are OK with the same 'bond' and others simply lack this kind of relation with protagonists.

Some need of masculine identity reassuring deep in their minds? Possibly, since a great part of gamers have their sexuality somewhat repressed since they are called 'nerds' and thus face dificulties trying to find a mate. I can also smell a hint of misogyny in the whole thing. Look at TV. Two thirds of people there are still men even if genders are divided 50-50 in our species. Both men and women alike could very well perceive something wrong with female protagonists even if they can't point out exactly what are the sources of such a feeling.

Plus there is the physical strength issue. Woman are physically weaker if you are talking about muscles... but a character could focus on something else than brute force, right? Why a female character could not be something like a spy, or a magic user protagonist? Because or man-driven culture simply tries to ignore activities that lack physical strength, even in videogames. Anyways and besides that, most videogame characters are already powered beyond the ridicule (yes, I'm looking at you, Kratos), but still it becomes harder to suspend the disbelief when woman are involved.

In the end, the whole society and the culture built before and around us seems to blame for the absolute lack of equilibrium of genders in gaming. All of this sounds a bit like historical materialism with genders instead of social classes, and that's exactly the case here. Like I said before, is the differences of strength among male and female humans. But that should not be an excuse for sexism and such.

I agree with you, and I'm happy I'm not like these typical gamers. I mean, come on, you don't need to link with your characters. When I play a game, I'm playing X character story, not mine! Talking about muscles and strength, I can understand that Marcus Pheonix is stonger than Sherry Birkin, but common JRPGs devellopers put considerable stronger strength stats to emo kids. I mean, they are little faggots, put the same stats if they have the same muscles! Same thing for common anime. A thing about masculine identity, I think playing as Kratos (a big muscled oiled man in a tiny suit) is worse for the 'masculine identity' of those nerds than playing as Bayonetta (even if I dislike her), you know what I mean?

It's just a variable they put into the engine.  For stats really. Maybe they should put technique in instead or whatever (though Bioware games have you level up techniques and I guess final fantasy as well.) Say you have a gun. Strength matters little, in how it kills if you can pick it up and use, yes heavy guns are hard to pick up. Same with a sword. You can wack someone really hard and not know how to use a sword and you cant cut shit. But if your not as strong, but you know how. You can cut better, than a dumb strong idiot. Not to mention you'll fight better.

really though, JRPG's and gears of war aren't realistic. So it's kinda i dunno

Around the Network

I'm fine with female protagonists.  Especially the ones like Jade where they are attractive but aren't overly sexualized.

thelifatree said:
I_hate_Itagaki said:
haxxiy said:

Well inside a hardcore gaming culture were 90% of consumers are males (or females who want to be males), I think it is somewhat expected female protagonist to be generally badly received. Having somewhat studied psychology (and having my mother as one), I can say that most people forge a link with the protagonists, projecting themselves into the characters, and many are unconfortable on seeing themselves as a woman. On the other side, some people are OK with the same 'bond' and others simply lack this kind of relation with protagonists.

Some need of masculine identity reassuring deep in their minds? Possibly, since a great part of gamers have their sexuality somewhat repressed since they are called 'nerds' and thus face dificulties trying to find a mate. I can also smell a hint of misogyny in the whole thing. Look at TV. Two thirds of people there are still men even if genders are divided 50-50 in our species. Both men and women alike could very well perceive something wrong with female protagonists even if they can't point out exactly what are the sources of such a feeling.

Plus there is the physical strength issue. Woman are physically weaker if you are talking about muscles... but a character could focus on something else than brute force, right? Why a female character could not be something like a spy, or a magic user protagonist? Because or man-driven culture simply tries to ignore activities that lack physical strength, even in videogames. Anyways and besides that, most videogame characters are already powered beyond the ridicule (yes, I'm looking at you, Kratos), but still it becomes harder to suspend the disbelief when woman are involved.

In the end, the whole society and the culture built before and around us seems to blame for the absolute lack of equilibrium of genders in gaming. All of this sounds a bit like historical materialism with genders instead of social classes, and that's exactly the case here. Like I said before, is the differences of strength among male and female humans. But that should not be an excuse for sexism and such.

I agree with you, and I'm happy I'm not like these typical gamers. I mean, come on, you don't need to link with your characters. When I play a game, I'm playing X character story, not mine! Talking about muscles and strength, I can understand that Marcus Pheonix is stonger than Sherry Birkin, but common JRPGs devellopers put considerable stronger strength stats to emo kids. I mean, they are little faggots, put the same stats if they have the same muscles! Same thing for common anime. A thing about masculine identity, I think playing as Kratos (a big muscled oiled man in a tiny suit) is worse for the 'masculine identity' of those nerds than playing as Bayonetta (even if I dislike her), you know what I mean?

It's just a variable they put into the engine.  For stats really. Maybe they should put technique in instead or whatever (though Bioware games have you level up techniques and I guess final fantasy as well.) Say you have a gun. Strength matters little, in how it kills if you can pick it up and use, yes heavy guns are hard to pick up. Same with a sword. You can wack someone really hard and not know how to use a sword and you cant cut shit. But if your not as strong, but you know how. You can cut better, than a dumb strong idiot. Not to mention you'll fight better.

really though, JRPG's and gears of war aren't realistic. So it's kinda i dunno

JRPG's are just plain sexist (not all, but alot). Just look at Dokapon Journey, if you take a male, all your stats are going to be the usefull ones. The female chars get SPEED, but in this game, it's useless. Each classes have specialities and techniques. If you take the male/mage, you'll get the skill that makes your opponent magic go to 0 and the ability to catch field magic. If you take the female/mage, you'll get the skill that double your magic and the ability to send a field magic called Meteor. So, if the two characters fight, the female will double her magic stats, but the next turn, the male put her magic stats to 0. She's doomed. If she tries to send him the Meteor, he'll catch it and send her the Meteor back. She's doomed again. That's just sexist.

My female Shepard beats the shit out of pretty much every Shepard ever voiced by Mark Meer.

Conceptually female protagonists are just as good as the men. Execution is not as.... fine-honed, usually, but that's not a problem of the gender. It requires good writing. There are certain ingrained cultural biases that just makes some people (like a lot of people in this topic) more willing to forgive shitty writing for male characters than females.

i really dont care if the protagonist(main or not) is male or female.

Around the Network
Soriku said:

I don't mind female protagonists at all, but male characters are more easily relatable. Maybe if I was a chick I could relate more to female protagonists...

I prefer females in games to be important side characters in your party. The lead is better as a male though...

I was sure you were going to say that :D

Ah more wisdom from "hardcore" aka casual douche gamers.

I always create a female character when the game allows. I have no desire to see some guys backside for 50 hours of gameplay. Now looking at a female's rear end while she is running and fighting all i'll say is hell yes!

p.s. I dont let them wear clothes either if it can be helped.

haxxiy said:

QFT. While I don't relate with them. I tend to choose them for male aesthetic reasons. Nice and round :P so count me in for having a sexism bias, but I'm more for females making appearances as protagonists and antagonists for that matter. I love the baddass evil sexy female :P

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Well I like playing as Samus and Lara but not really anyone else. Lara doesn't do anything super unrealistic by fighting animals and transversing buildings and caves and samus is in a power suit so it makes sense for her strength is not her own. But if lara was doing the things that Nathan Drake was doing I'd wouldn't be interested in the game. Females can be side characters in the same group as the main male protagonist like with tifa in FF7 but I perfer not to play as them. Which is also why I dislike games with gender locked classes.