By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Female protagonist? What do you think?

2000cc said:

personally I find the female leads a lot better than the male ones, they tend to be deeper more well developed characters imo.

now this is a generalisation so there are exceptions but It tends to be that the male chars are the more one dimensional powerful, irresponsible, arrogant and brutal whereas female ones tend to be more emotive and give reasons for what they are doing, Even the more tongue in cheek characters like bayonetta have more emotion to their character and depth to their personality than a similar male character, say for example kratos

and don't get me started on cloud strife, the guy's pesonality is as thin as a piece of paper, lightning is a million times better developed and her motives are more well reasoned than his, cloud is not even a person whereas lightning is so vivid it feels like she could be an old friend. to be fair to square though cloud is their only bad male protagonist, most of them are great characters, though I am aware they fall well in the 'emo' bracket by western perceptions.

the thing is based on the fact that most leads in games have exceptional superpowers/training/abities, it makes no sense why gender would make any difference when looking at the suspension of disbelief between chars. A female with massive superpowers could easily be feasibly as strong as a male with similar powers (as the powers give the attributes normally, not the gender), especially if the majority of enemies do not have the same level of powers/training/ability (as is normally the case)

sorry If I sound sexist, I am a girl and I tend to stick mainly to rpg's due to the lack of depth of characters in male dominated genres like shooters (I also despise action movies on the same principle), I know I should let it be because most gaming genres are not supposed to have developed stories/characters (thats why I read Books, though to gamings credit some RPG stories are on par with book level stories) so sorry if i overstepped the mark. this is just my opinion, don't mean to sound like a horrible elitist/feminist or anything.

You got good points! I like you :D

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
I_hate_Itagaki said:
lestatdark said:
I_hate_Itagaki said:
lestatdark said:
I_hate_Itagaki said:
lestatdark said:

Female protagonists, as long as they're well portrayed, with actual human similarities and their own intricacies are just as good as a well developed male protagonist. 

Some of my favourite protagonists, not only in games, but in films, are female protagonists, who exude an aura of self-esteem and ability to resolve problems, while still keeping human faucets that are intrinsic to natural human behavior. 

Aya Brea, Selen and Milennia are probably the best videogame protagonists (both female and male) ever created.

OT - I said it on another thread and I'll say it again. People nowadays have no grasp about what the actual meaning behind the word sexist really portrays. Which is an actual shame indeed, seeing how easy such a strong word is thrown around in here, with no actual direct reason as to use it. And it's also extremely funny how somehow, sexist seems to limit itself to a single gender bias against another. It works both ways.

I know you are talking about me. I know what sexism means. Strong word? Most people I met don't care about sexism (just look at the numbers of sexist anime/games, I'm pretty sure you know more than 2 of them). Sexism works both ways, but do you have exemples of games that is sexist towards men? It's quie normal that I hate sexism towards female, because it exists.

Sexism is probably one of the strongest words ever created, because it implies a very serious issue, that's still very preponderant in today's society. 

The lack of interest from most people just shows that it's not as correctly addressed as it should be.

And sexism towards men in games? Pretty easy actually. Usually young boys, kids and some young males are portrayed as annoying brats or whinny "emos" that pretty much get stick not only from men, but from most female gamers as well. It's demeaning to generalize a certain age group like, thus that demeaning act becomes a sexist act, because it's extremely frequent on male portrays than on female portrays.

Mmm, it souds moe like a stereotype to me.

A stereotype is when a whole group is targeted due to it's own unique characteristics, and that group encompasses both genders. That's why Goth, Punk, Hippie, and many other labels are stereotypes, they target everyone that fits those parameters. 

A characterization that targets a specific gender in detriment of another, which also show the same parameters, but are often overlooked, that's a very primordial type of sexism. The type of sexism in the old mentality, like "Cooking and sewing is a women's work", when clearly it's something that both genders can do proficiently. 

I know what sexism is. I think emos fit in the stereotypes, don't you think? I mean, it's like a goth in a certain way.

The "emo" portray is a stereotype. To isolate it and portray it as a male-exclusive stereotype, that's sexist, because the characteristics defining an "emo", does not discern genres. 

Just like trying to isolate and portray a low self-esteem characterization as being a female-exclusive stereotype it's sexist.

Sorry I don't care anymore after Khuutra's pretentious attitude. I'll stick to what I think is sexism, other people can think what they want.

Yikes, what happened to this thread?

lestatdark said:
Weegee said:
lestatdark said:
I_hate_Itagaki said:
lestatdark said:

Female protagonists, as long as they're well portrayed, with actual human similarities and their own intricacies are just as good as a well developed male protagonist. 

Some of my favourite protagonists, not only in games, but in films, are female protagonists, who exude an aura of self-esteem and ability to resolve problems, while still keeping human faucets that are intrinsic to natural human behavior. 

Aya Brea, Selen and Milennia are probably the best videogame protagonists (both female and male) ever created.

OT - I said it on another thread and I'll say it again. People nowadays have no grasp about what the actual meaning behind the word sexist really portrays. Which is an actual shame indeed, seeing how easy such a strong word is thrown around in here, with no actual direct reason as to use it. And it's also extremely funny how somehow, sexist seems to limit itself to a single gender bias against another. It works both ways.

I know you are talking about me. I know what sexism means. Strong word? Most people I met don't care about sexism (just look at the numbers of sexist anime/games, I'm pretty sure you know more than 2 of them). Sexism works both ways, but do you have exemples of games that is sexist towards men? It's quie normal that I hate sexism towards female, because it exists.

Sexism is probably one of the strongest words ever created, because it implies a very serious issue, that's still very preponderant in today's society. 

The lack of interest from most people just shows that it's not as correctly addressed as it should be.

And sexism towards men in games? Pretty easy actually. Usually young boys, kids and some young males are portrayed as annoying brats or whinny "emos" that pretty much get stick not only from men, but from most female gamers as well. It's demeaning to generalize a certain age group like, thus that demeaning act becomes a sexist act, because it's extremely frequent on male portrays than on female portrays.

Yeah but these emo kid are always strong and independant (which is the inverse with the girl in fire emblem) and they are usualy the main character or the big bad guy who control everyone.

There are always exceptions to the rules. In FF13, you had Hope, which was probably one of the most vulnerable and unprotected male character created as of late, which constantly fell in the "whinny kid" label. In contrast, you had Vanille and Fang, which were both very independent women, with their own strong convictions and ideals, even though Vanille supposedly portrayed the "innocent damsel" role. 

And, if you see from my interchange with Khuutra, there are also quite some cases where the female protagonist is also a very strong willed female character. 

I'm not able to speak on behalf of FE, since I'm not particularly into the story of the latest FE games (i've forgotten quite a large deal of the GBA FE's stories), but to generalize that an entire gender is portrayed like "weak and dependent" based on few examples is not the correct thing to do. 

It's true that some developers do portray females (and males) with sexists characteristics, but from what I could grasp from your conversation with Khuutra, you were pinpointing japanese developers exclusively for this fault, which is far from the truth.

Sexism exists everywhere in the world, and those same kind of attitudes are found in the western world in the same frequency (if not more) than in occidental cultures.

I know that there are sexist everywhere in the world and i'm not saying that all japanese are sexist but japan is more sexist than america and/or europe. But anyway , I know that strong girl exist but it's not 50/50 and it's sad. In a lot of WRPG gender does not matter and it's good but in the JRPG where you can create your character, the japanese developper always want to make some diferrence between gender and it's stupid and Inteligent System do this same error.In a Fictional world with magic , all is possible so please don't make girl weaker 'Because is generaly like this in real life' it's stupid. First , it will be evan more hard to balance the unit and second it will turn away feministe guy like me. And to prove my unbias , I think that the class pegasus (which is just for female) is also discriminatory toward guy and it's also stupid. I want 50/50 in my game and Fire emblem don't provide this.  The first step would be to make the same amount of playable guy and girl in the game.

I was not saying that Fire emblem was bad or whatever , I was just saying that is not 50/50 ( and I know it's not easy to achieve). Anyway , let's stop this wars , nobody want to change his mind so we just keep writing and we lost precious time to watch some funny youtube poop.

Sequel I want the most :

Patapon 3 , Elite beat Agent 2 , ROTK 12 , Mother 4, Legend of legaia      3, Resident Evil outbreak 3.

Favorite Youtube poop        McDonnald                 Morshu              

pearljammer said:

Itagaki and I were frustated because they are more strong guy than girl in FE and that inteligent systeme keep making gender diference in fire emblem and it's sexist. Two guy was saying that it's normal and not sexist because in real life, it's like this. But Itagaki and I was saying that in a Fictional world with MAGIC , we must forget about real life laws and the developper must create the more equal game possible.

How are you ?

Sequel I want the most :

Patapon 3 , Elite beat Agent 2 , ROTK 12 , Mother 4, Legend of legaia      3, Resident Evil outbreak 3.

Favorite Youtube poop        McDonnald                 Morshu              

Around the Network
Weegee said:
pearljammer said:

Itagaki and I were frustated because they are more strong guy than girl in FE and that inteligent systeme keep making gender diference in fire emblem and it's sexist. Two guy was saying that it's normal and not sexist because in real life, it's like this. But Itagaki and I was saying that in a Fictional world with MAGIC , we must forget about real life laws and the developper must create the more equal game possible.

How are you ?

I admit, I haven't read most of it. Just enough to noticed that it had become page after page of discussion on Fire Emblem.

How are gender differences sexist? That's absurd. There are plenty of differences between genders; acknowledging them is far from sexist.

Perhaps you mean their capabilities? Hell, in all of the FE games that I've played there have been plenty of useful, empowered, strong female characters; and there has been plenty of male characters who fit that description. Are there just as many powerful females are there are males and do their collective importance equal that of the males... I have no damn idea. It really doesn't matter. Going by that standard, every piece of media ever created is likely sexist.

I really, really don't understand. Females in FE are not typified as helpless, weak, dependent, useless or anything of the sort. They have plenty of strengths, albeit sometimes different, but no less important (or useful), like the males. I think you're misusing the word 'sexism.'

As I said, I haven't read everything, so I may be misjudging what you're saying. Let me know if I am.

It is 12:55 in the morning, and i have spent the last 25 minutes wading through this mess, so i feel compelled to say something.

1. Fire Emblem is not sexist, period. To put this level of depth of analysis into characters statistics reading for signs of sexism is a pointless venture, as these statistics could be skewed to say anything, and analysis is pointless without *intent,* being the root of sexism in the first place.

2. The argument for sexism reminds me of the episode of the SImpsons when Principal Skinner gets lambasted for certain sexist comments, where the women boo him when he declares women and men to be perfectly equal, and boo him when he acknowledges differences between the genders.

3. There is a level of analysis here that i would call too wooly even for literature. I seriously doubt that very many artists even bother to think on that level, and certainly not in the cases presented here.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Weegee said:
pearljammer said:

How are you ?

Looks like I'm bad at staying away.

Differences and discrimination are not the same thing. Fire Emblem is chalk full of perfectly strong, fully realized, sexually confident men and women and has some of the most even-handed representations of all genders. Your original point was that women were weaker, which is to say they were worse in a fight and have less utility. That's verifiably false. You've tried to claim that women in Fire Emblem are all stereotyped in the Japanese way (which is to say weak and dependent) and that's both wrong and mildly racist.

Demanding perfect gender equality is not how you fight sexism. Trying to deny certain inherent differences between the sexes is its own special kind of sexism because it implies that there is a certain default mindset that should be portrayed for everyone - and it's predominantly male.

And for the record, yes, there is at least one case off the top of my head where a woman protects a man in Fire Emblem: Louise is the one who guards her husband Pent, in spite of him being an extremely powerful mage.

@Mr Khan:

I agree with point 3 in principle, but there are (very large) schools of critical analysis that reject authorial intent altogether and look at a work in a vacuum.

Khuutra said:
Weegee said:
pearljammer said:

How are you ?

Looks like I'm bad at staying away.

Differences and discrimination are not the same thing. Fire Emblem is chalk full of perfectly strong, fully realized, sexually confident men and women and has some of the most even-handed representations of all genders. Your original point was that women were weaker, which is to say they were worse in a fight and have less utility. That's verifiably false. You've tried to claim that women in Fire Emblem are all stereotyped in the Japanese way (which is to say weak and dependent) and that's both wrong and mildly racist.

Demanding perfect gender equality is not how you fight sexism. Trying to deny certain inherent differences between the sexes is its own special kind of sexism because it implies that there is a certain default mindset that should be portrayed for everyone - and it's predominantly male.

And for the record, yes, there is at least one case off the top of my head where a woman protects a man in Fire Emblem: Louise is the one who guards her husband Pent, in spite of him being an extremely powerful mage.

@Mr Khan:

I agree with point 3 in principle, but there are (very large) schools of critical analysis that reject authorial intent altogether and look at a work in a vacuum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlcyio0QC4&feature=related

Mr Khan said:

It is 12:55 in the morning, and i have spent the last 25 minutes wading through this mess, so i feel compelled to say something.

1. Fire Emblem is not sexist, period. To put this level of depth of analysis into characters statistics reading for signs of sexism is a pointless venture, as these statistics could be skewed to say anything, and analysis is pointless without *intent,* being the root of sexism in the first place.

2. The argument for sexism reminds me of the episode of the SImpsons when Principal Skinner gets lambasted for certain sexist comments, where the women boo him when he declares women and men to be perfectly equal, and boo him when he acknowledges differences between the genders.

3. There is a level of analysis here that i would call too wooly even for literature. I seriously doubt that very many artists even bother to think on that level, and certainly not in the cases presented here.

OT: Hey, you are a Queen Blade's fan? And you said Quaser of Stigmata have potential? Do you find these show sexist?