By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Xbox 720 and Wii 2 will beat PS4 to market

The chances of Sony and Microsoft releasing their next consoles before or in early 2012 are slim to none, right now they will both be focused on recouping their losses so far, which might be easier for Microsoft than it will be for Sony.

As for the succesor to the Wii, i could see it being sold as early as Q2 2012, for the simple fact, despite the Wii still selling great numbers, they are actualy starting to slow down, and with the limited types of software for the consoles, i don't see it going for another 3 years like it is now. The lack of DVD playback doesn't help either.

Right now as i see it:

inside of April/May/June 2012, succesor to the Wii will be released, with hardware about 50% stronger than the Xbox 360 is, harddrive of 20-100 GB, with DVD playback.

Between November 2012, and April 2013: Xbox 3 release, Hardware shouldn't be a crazy jump, i'd expect them to include something like this: IBM CPU (6-7 Cores) @ 3.6 ghz, ATI Radeon GPU powerfull enough for large 1080P games @ 60 fps (and 3d), 320-500GB HDD, 4GB Ram, 32mb Edram,HDMI port, Kinect port, audio port, and blu-ray slot loading drive. (If they're smart they have to ditch the disc tray design and go with slot loading, like PS3 and Wii already use. And yes, they will probably use Blu-Ray, they have no reason not to. Components will probably be a smaller manufacturing size than they were on the early Xbox 360's, they will avoid a new RROD issue at all costs. As for release price: $399-449.

Finally: PS4...  early 2013, evolution of the PS3 rather than a revolution, no drastic changes as they made from PS2 to PS3., price: $399-$449. (They're not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice) Sony will also make a attempt to make PSN Plus in the same quality region by then, as XBL is now, and Sony will be likely to develop PS4 headsets this time around, instead of opting for consumers to buy their own headsets as they did with the PS3.

Around the Network
Millenium said:

The chances of Sony and Microsoft releasing their next consoles before or in early 2012 are slim to none, right now they will both be focused on recouping their losses so far,which might be easier for Microsoft than it will be for Sony.

even with losses MS wouldn't really care,their main aim is to release infront of PS4

As for the succesor to the Wii, i could see it being sold as early as Q2 2012, for the simple fact, despite the Wii still selling great numbers, they are actualy starting to slow down, and with the limited types of software for the consoles, i don't see it going for another 3 years like it is now.

NOBODY releases a console in Q2

The lack of DVD playback doesn't help either,on they were buying it for something else

is that what people were buying Wii for??????????????

and i think DVD playback was added in 2007 or 2008 models

Right now as i see it:

inside of April/May/June 2012, succesor to the Wii will be released, with hardware about 50% stronger than the Xbox 360 is, harddrive of 20-100 GB, with DVD playback.

DVD playback wouldn't really do anything as people already have DVD players

Between November 2012, and April 2013: Xbox 3 release,

Simply won't happen after November 2012

Components will probably be a smaller manufacturing size than they were on the early Xbox 360's, they will avoid a new RROD issue at all costs. As for release price: $399-449.

whay are you even comparing it with 360 component sizes and RROD.

you are making it sound like it is a redesign and not a new console

Finally: PS4...  early 2013, evolution of the PS3 rather than a revolution, no drastic changes as they made from PS2 to PS3., price: $399-$449.

noway it will happen early 2013,hands down late 2013

and price would no way be over $399

(They're not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice)

and still you expected them to price it between $399-499..............lol

Sony will also make a attempt to make PSN Plus in the same quality region by then, as XBL is now,

they are already trying and PSN plus is a different service

and Sony will be likely to develop PS4 headsets this time around, instead of opting for consumers to buy their own headsets as they did with the PS3.

it would be better for them to make a good standalone one than the cheap 360 ones

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Millenium said:

The chances of Sony and Microsoft releasing their next consoles before or in early 2012 are slim to none, right now they will both be focused on recouping their losses so far,which might be easier for Microsoft than it will be for Sony.

even with losses MS wouldn't really care,their main aim is to release infront of PS4

As for the succesor to the Wii, i could see it being sold as early as Q2 2012, for the simple fact, despite the Wii still selling great numbers, they are actualy starting to slow down, and with the limited types of software for the consoles, i don't see it going for another 3 years like it is now.

They have 0.0% reason not to anymore, people buy mid season also nowadays, and it will help a company to "stock up" for the holiday season.

The lack of DVD playback doesn't help either,on they were buying it for something else

Nope, but: IT CAN'T HURT, and seeing how the PS2 and Xbox already had it, it's really backwards for Wii not to have it.

i bought a Wii in 2009, no Dvd playback, and it's a 2009 model.

Right now as i see it:

As i said: Dvd playback can't hurt, it makes a console simply more multifunctional, oh and b: I don't have a dvd player, i can simply use my Xbox 360 and PS3 for that.

How would you know, do you work at Microsoft? Are you their entertainment divisions operating officer? Which will be smiling really hard due to current 360 sales btw.

Components will probably be a smaller manufacturing size than they were on the early Xbox 360's, they will avoid a new RROD issue at all costs. As for release price: $399-449.

All consoles are redesigns as much as they are evolutions, as for Xbox 3 specs, it's just extra information, it has A: no extra value to a sales discussion, and B: No reason for you to get your panties wet.

Finally: PS4...  early 2013, evolution of the PS3 rather than a revolution, no drastic changes as they made from PS2 to PS3., price: $399-$449.

Wouldn't be suprised if they go 449, it's not that bad in comparison to the PS3 launch, as for late 2013, perhaps, depends on how strong the PS3 will keep going.

Your most laughable "comeback" yet, a price between 399-449 (where the hell did you read 499?) is quite a bit different than $599.

Sony will also make a attempt to make PSN Plus in the same quality region by then, as XBL is now,

So, you're half assing a agreement with me, and then half assing not agreeing with me, interesting...

and Sony will be likely to develop PS4 headsets this time around, instead of opting for consumers to buy their own headsets as they did with the PS3.

it would be better for them to make a good standalone one than the cheap 360 ones

Funny, what exactly were you thinking i was implying they make?

Oh and just so we don't get off on the wrong foot, nothing in my post(s) is meant as any form of attack against you.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

A rough calculation is easy: releasing next year they could sell a console twice as powerful as the current one for $300 with around the same margin they have now. But if they want to offer 1440p (and that not be just a 1080p upscaled), they need a console twice as powerful just for this, then they need to furtherly double it if they want to offer 3D up to max res. So they need to release consoles 4 times as powerful as the current ones,

1) PS3 can do full 1080p 3D

this can bew made without losses in little more than 2 years. Then there are motion controls that add some bucks (they sell them for $100 to $150, but the cost to build them are much lower), so including them as standard equipment without exceeding the $300 threshold and without delaying the launch, they'd lose initially a few tens $ per console. Quite acceptable for their business model, their initial losses this gen were much higher.

i don't think motion controls will be big next gen

So if they are really at an advanced development stage, MS and Sony could launch in Autumn 2012.

MS will launch before 2013

SONY won't as they need atleast 2 years  to market PSP2 which release next year

About Nintendo, it depends on a lot of things, Wii is still healthy, despite not as strong as in its best periods, and they could settle on 1080p, making possible a 2011 launch without losing money, if really necessary.

Wii2 won't come in 2011 as they need 2 years to market 3DS and as it is they won't need to go so early

What no developer will accept from any console is skimping on main RAM: even with streamlined OS on consoles eating less RAM, if a PC now is commonly equipped with 4GB, to avoid difficulties in porting of multiplats a new console can't go below 3GB, or 2GB as a bare minimum. But RAM cost is already so low that launching in 2011, or even later, fitting less than 4GB would be not only short-sighted, but unjustifiable.

if one console is HD and takes an overall need then the multi-plats won't even be needed

About graphics, 1GB RAM is currently already common also on cheap cards, so no need to go below it.

2) the graphic RAM doesn't need to be there,they can do a unified RAM

and SONY could even remove the GRaphic and do 2 CELL as it does a pretty good job

also what is the speed of the upcoming SSD's,can that be used for RAM?

1) With the same polygon count as 2D? (meaning having to calculate twice as much polygons, not just pixels).

2) Cheaper but slower, and not necessary now that RAM is so cheap.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think Sony's in a real tricky position overall. The PSP is as good as dead in the water at this point, and with the 3DS releasing, their portable business is in serious trouble (especially since they haven't announced anything regarding the PSP), and the PS3, while selling respectably now, lost Sony soooo much money that they can't afford to cut it off early, but at the same time they can't afford to launch too far behind MS and Nintendo with new consoles....unless MS and Nintendo's new hardware aren't huge leaps but instead minor upgrades/tweaks to what is already out there...but I'm pretty sure Nintendo's going to do a pretty massive overhaul with the visuals/capabilities of the Wii for the Wii2, especially if the 3DS launch proves successful in courting a 'hardcore' software audience...it will make 3rd parties more excited to develop for Wii2...

Bah!

Around the Network
Millenium said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Millenium said:

They have 0.0% reason not to anymore, people buy mid season also nowadays, and it will help a company to "stock up" for the holiday season.

Nope, but: IT CAN'T HURT, and seeing how the PS2 and Xbox already had it, it's really backwards for Wii not to have it.

i bought a Wii in 2009, no Dvd playback, and it's a 2009 model.

Right now as i see it:

As i said: Dvd playback can't hurt, it makes a console simply more multifunctional, oh and b: I don't have a dvd player, i can simply use my Xbox 360 and PS3 for that.

How would you know, do you work at Microsoft? Are you their entertainment divisions operating officer? Which will be smiling really hard due to current 360 sales btw.

All consoles are redesigns as much as they are evolutions, as for Xbox 3 specs, it's just extra information, it has A: no extra value to a sales discussion, and B: No reason for you to get your panties wet.

Wouldn't be suprised if they go 449, it's not that bad in comparison to the PS3 launch, as for late 2013, perhaps, depends on how strong the PS3 will keep going.

Your most laughable "comeback" yet, a price between 399-449 (where the hell did you read 499?) is quite a bit different than $599.

So, you're half assing a agreement with me, and then half assing not agreeing with me, interesting...

Funny, what exactly were you thinking i was implying they make?

Oh and just so we don't get off on the wrong foot, nothing in my post(s) is meant as any form of attack against you.

never took anything by you as an offense

just discussing.you are free to reply with what you think about my coments

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

A rough calculation is easy: releasing next year they could sell a console twice as powerful as the current one for $300 with around the same margin they have now. But if they want to offer 1440p (and that not be just a 1080p upscaled), they need a console twice as powerful just for this, then they need to furtherly double it if they want to offer 3D up to max res. So they need to release consoles 4 times as powerful as the current ones,

this can bew made without losses in little more than 2 years. Then there are motion controls that add some bucks (they sell them for $100 to $150, but the cost to build them are much lower), so including them as standard equipment without exceeding the $300 threshold and without delaying the launch, they'd lose initially a few tens $ per console. Quite acceptable for their business model, their initial losses this gen were much higher.

i don't think motion controls will be big next gen

So if they are really at an advanced development stage, MS and Sony could launch in Autumn 2012.

MS will launch before 2013

SONY won't as they need atleast 2 years  to market PSP2 which release next year

About Nintendo, it depends on a lot of things, Wii is still healthy, despite not as strong as in its best periods, and they could settle on 1080p, making possible a 2011 launch without losing money, if really necessary.

Wii2 won't come in 2011 as they need 2 years to market 3DS and as it is they won't need to go so early

What no developer will accept from any console is skimping on main RAM: even with streamlined OS on consoles eating less RAM, if a PC now is commonly equipped with 4GB, to avoid difficulties in porting of multiplats a new console can't go below 3GB, or 2GB as a bare minimum. But RAM cost is already so low that launching in 2011, or even later, fitting less than 4GB would be not only short-sighted, but unjustifiable.

if one console is HD and takes an overall need then the multi-plats won't even be needed

About graphics, 1GB RAM is currently already common also on cheap cards, so no need to go below it.

and SONY could even remove the GRaphic and do 2 CELL as it does a pretty good job

1) With the same polygon count as 2D? (meaning having to calculate twice as much polygons, not just pixels).

PS3 can do 2160p 2D so they can do 1080p 3D

WHICH line was this for

Toddifer said:

I think Sony's in a real tricky position overall. The PSP is as good as dead in the water at this point, and with the 3DS releasing, their portable business is in serious trouble (especially since they haven't announced anything regarding the PSP), and the PS3, while selling respectably now, lost Sony soooo much money that they can't afford to cut it off early, but at the same time they can't afford to launch too far behind MS and Nintendo with new consoles....unless MS and Nintendo's new hardware aren't huge leaps but instead minor upgrades/tweaks to what is already out there...but I'm pretty sure Nintendo's going to do a pretty massive overhaul with the visuals/capabilities of the Wii for the Wii2, especially if the 3DS launch proves successful in courting a 'hardcore' software audience...it will make 3rd parties more excited to develop for Wii2...

Its pointless releasing anything which isn't leaps and bounds ahead of what is currently on the market. People simply will not respond favourably to a console which cannot produce more than a slightly prettier version of what is out there.

From what Nintendo has stated in the past their new console will be much more than just a technical leap over the current generation of console technology, they will also need to improve the basic gameplay. So obviously the Wiimote is the first step and it will be the controller itself which recieves the most work. Third parties will already be excited at the concept of working on the Wii 2, becuase they will rightfully assume it will be the leader in the next generation of consoles and thus will not want to be left behind.

WilliamWatts said:
Toddifer said:

Its pointless releasing anything which isn't leaps and bounds ahead of what is currently on the market. People simply will not respond favourably to a console which cannot produce more than a slightly prettier version of what is out there.

From what Nintendo has stated in the past their new console will be much more than just a technical leap over the current generation of console technology, they will also need to improve the basic gameplay. So obviously the Wiimote is the first step and it will be the controller itself which recieves the most work. Third parties will already be excited at the concept of working on the Wii 2, becuase they will rightfully assume it will be the leader in the next generation of consoles and thus will not want to be left behind.

they can change their stance anytime

and Nintendo's minor upgrade says it can happen anytime and people buy it

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

Alby_da_Wolf said:

[...]

PS3 can do 2160p 2D so they can do 1080p 3D

WHICH line was this for (*)

(*) Answer #2 was for the bolded part.

About part #1 I didn't know, good, this means that if absolutely needed Sony could launch an early PS4 roughly 2 times as powerful as PS3 without losing money, very good.

About doing graphics with a second Cell, I guess it can be done, but a specialized GPU, good only for its work, could do the same work for less money. Maybe dropping NVidia and chosing ATI instead. Cell SPEs will help graphics and physics more and more with time anyway, as dev tools evolve, and programmers' experience increase.

About SSD, they can provide a swap file enormously faster than electromechanical magnetic drives, but they are too many steps behind dynamic RAM, particularly for writing. Life of the drive is another issue, even if less than in the past, writes still shorten flash memories' life, using them for SSD writes can be managed quite well to reduce the problem, using them instead of RAM the problem would be very serious, as writes to RAM are in numbers several orders of magnitude larger than writes to disk.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!