By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Xbox 720 and Wii 2 will beat PS4 to market

Dazzle said:

maybe if sony release the ps4 a few years after the x720 and wii2 then that could be considered the next gen console after those next gen consoles if you know what i mean so ps4 could have the upper hand

that doesn't happen as if the devs once hop on the 720 and wii2 then it is difficult to start a new consoles.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

maybe if sony release the ps4 a few years after the x720 and wii2 then that could be considered the next gen console after those next gen consoles if you know what i mean so ps4 could have the upper hand

Mid cycle jumps rarely turn out well.  In fact, gaming's never really had one be a real mainstream success (PC Engine, CDI, 3DO, Jaguar, Dreamcast, Wonderswan, NeoGeo Pocket, N-Gage, etc, etc).

yeah midcycles don't turn out well but comparing PS4 to those you mentioned doesn't make any point

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

Mid cycle jumps rarely turn out well.  In fact, gaming's never really had one be a real mainstream success (PC Engine, CDI, 3DO, Jaguar, Dreamcast, Wonderswan, NeoGeo Pocket, N-Gage, etc, etc).

yeah midcycles don't turn out well but comparing PS4 to those you mentioned doesn't make any point

Well, most were first trys, yeah.  The only successor systems were Jag and DC, which while also being each company's 4th console, really isn't that comparable to PS4 in terms of brand awareness.

Still, at the time, some of these companies had pretty excellent reputations, even in the gaming sphere (Hudson/NEC in 1986, Bandai (with Square on board) in 1999, Nokia in 2003), even if the systems were botched or competitively driven into niches.

jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

Well, most were first trys, yeah.  The only successor systems were Jag and DC, which while also being each company's 4th console, really isn't that comparable to PS4 in terms of brand awareness.

Still, at the time, some of these companies had pretty excellent reputations, even in the gaming sphere (Hudson/NEC in 1986, Bandai (with Square on board) in 1999, Nokia in 2003), even if the systems were botched or competitively driven into niches.

the reputation was limited

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

How about completely skipping next gen if it happens to begin too early and releasing PS4 as an early 9th gen console one year before XB1080 and Wii3?

It looks quite dangerous, though, and Sony should start including Move with every PS3 asap to avoid being left behind on motion controls (and to keep the entry level price low enough without losing money this won't be possible before Q3 2011 in the best case).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

How about completely skipping next gen if it happens to begin too early and releasing PS4 as an early 9th gen console one year before XB1080 and Wii3?

and letting the other take their brands further mke yourselfs stagnant.

also if they release the another thats double sales,like the PS3 users will BUY A PS4 so 2 sales instead of one

It looks quite dangerous, though, and Sony should start including Move with every PS3 asap to avoid being left behind on motion controls (and to keep the entry level price low enough without losing money this won't be possible before Q3 2011 in the best case).

in Q3 2011 PS3 also needs to get a price cut

its not that they keep it at $299 for forever

also the motion control for 360 and PS3 is just a last fight.even if somebody gets left behind nothings gonna matter much

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

NEC and Hudson?  Not at all, Hudson was one of the biggest 3rd parties on the block then (a also the first Famicom licensee, and the first with a million seller too) and NEC's PC88/98 series computers were HUGE formats for gaming (way back when Japan had a viable PC gaming scene) and they basically dominated, even over popular formats like MSX and FM7.  It's like the equivalent of something like Activision and Apple deciding to make console together today.

I'd agree Bandai was more limited, but they also had amazing licenses (Gundam, One Piece, etc), Square on board with Final Fantasy games, and the creator of the Game Boy (Gunpei Yokoi) made their system. 

Nokia's probably the most limited in the gaming sphere, but they were a heavyweight in the phone market.  They just bundled N-Gage, badly.

None are perfect comparisons to Sony, but Sony's also not exactly in top form brand wise at the moment, with their own strengths and weaknesses.  I wouldn't call any of the four "limited" for the time though, all were/are brand names with (mostly) great track records.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

I think that's a risky proposition.  Better would even be a Wii-like upgrade path if need be (upclock/rebrand the PS3 chipset and advance along non-linear interface/network paths), but PS4 really does need to be there when everyone else is at the table.

Acxtually, if Wii 2's just a generational upgrade (putting within 360/PS3 territory) that sort of move might not be a bad idea for Sony.  They certainly benefitted by getting 360 ports this gen, same could happen next gen with Wii 2.  Even better if Microsoft goes for an (expensive) full generation shift, they'd probably get locked out of most ports.  Of course MS could always do the same for Xbox 3 (and I wouldn't rule that out either).

jarrod said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

I think that's a risky proposition.  Better would even be a Wii-like upgrade path if need be (upclock/rebrand the PS3 chipset and advance along non-linear interface/network paths), but PS4 really does need to be there when everyone else is at the table.

Acxtually, if Wii 2's just a generational upgrade (putting within 360/PS3 territory) that sort of move might not be a bad idea for Sony.  They certainly benefitted by getting 360 ports this gen, same could happen next gen with Wii 2.  Even better if Microsoft goes for an (expensive) full generation shift, they'd probably get locked out of most ports.  Of course MS could always do the same for Xbox 3 (and I wouldn't rule that out either).

PS3 would fair well with the Wii like upgrade as the other competitors will have btter graphics at a near price.

it isn't like Wii where you are the cheapest and other are way more expensive.

and its not because PS3 had generational change that it got posts,it was because its architecture was new and also there was another console that was selling good.

PS4 will do well and have a good price now that blu-ray price has been sorted out.

jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Dazzle said:

NEC and Hudson?  Not at all, Hudson was one of the biggest 3rd parties on the block then (a also the first Famicom licensee, and the first with a million seller too) and NEC's PC88/98 series computers were HUGE formats for gaming (way back when Japan had a viable PC gaming scene) and they basically dominated, even over popular formats like MSX and FM7.  It's like the equivalent of something like Activision and Apple deciding to make console together today.

I'd agree Bandai was more limited, but they also had amazing licenses (Gundam, One Piece, etc), Square on board with Final Fantasy games, and the creator of the Game Boy (Gunpei Yokoi) made their system. 

Nokia's probably the most limited in the gaming sphere, but they were a heavyweight in the phone market.  They just bundled N-Gage, badly.

None are perfect comparisons to Sony, but Sony's also not exactly in top form brand wise at the moment, with their own strengths and weaknesses.  I wouldn't call any of the four "limited" for the time though, all were/are brand names with (mostly) great track records.

again i never said they didn't have a good brand but its not comparable to now,the gaming community has expanded alot now.

also SONY isn't the top brand but it is still the pretty big even with a high price and damaged brand.

those four were big that you mentioned but nowhere near what gaming is now.so the argument isn't really valid