By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Xbox 720 and Wii 2 will beat PS4 to market

Qaiz said:

Like the 3DS, many people waill sit out untill the PSP2 cones out, well if it does.

Microsoft made a mistake releasing the 360 early, the rrod and the lack of a better disk medium speaks for its self.

Really? lol well they have a long while to wait.

http://kotaku.com/5019068/ten-years-for-psp-is-certainly-the-long term-plan

PSP is a ten year plan. And regarding microsoft releasing first they need to install a fanbase releasing first was a smart move for them. I can guantree that 3/4 of 40 million 360 owners never owned the original xbox.If they decided to release the same year as sony they would have first gen xbox like sales i.e shit.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Around the Network

I'm going to be quick on this on.

Disruption technology is basically tied to Nintendo's implementation of Blue Ocean strategy. The touch/dual screens, the Wii remote, and (most importantly) the visionary software implementations for both systems (Nintendogs, Brain-Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc). I'd agree though the 3DS isn't really disruptive towards iOS, it's more a defensive measure against possible disruption from the gaming growth markets with iOS. Disruptive technologies don't compete though, they displace, usually older technologies as well. You're factually wrong about NCL's post NSMB DS support, as they actually released multiple internally developed or co-developed efforts for it beyond just the 2 Zeldas (Rhythm Heaven, Band Bros. DX, Tomodachi Collection, Wario Ware DIY, PT Cooking, PT Walking, Flipnote Studio, Mario Vs DK 3, tons of DSiWare games/adaptations). Support certainly slowed as most of the teams shifted towards Wii, but it didn't disappear entirely like we see with the GC/Wii lead in (or indeed with Wii now essentially). Nintendo always maintains some level of internal support between handheld/console launches, while all Wii has after this year looks like Zelda. There's not even anything for WiiWare, it's just barren. I also think you're not giving enough credence to the piracy problem on DS, it's something Iwata (and other industry heads) talk about all the time. It also probably helps explain the huge drop in software figures for Europe over the past year, which is partially why I think 3DS may launch in Europe before America. I'd also say it's partially why DSi was introduced, but even that's sort of had a mixed result in curbing piracy. And in regards to 3rd parties, I was framing it around Japan (and my general argument that Japan's a key reason to launch a Wii successor next fiscal year). Though there have been a few admitted bright spots there recently (DQMBRV, Inazuma Eleven) but those were likely a long time coming, and the lineup overall is still simply anemic compared to 2009, with no signs of improvement.

You are right about the Wii software, but remember that Nintendo din't have a huge system launch coming in 2008,  and 2009, and the Wii is still getting Software. Just because we know little about 2011 (like we always do with Nintendo) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I wrote something about disruption but lost it. Again, you provide no reason for why Nintendo is making Apple a focus nor why they should make it a focus. You are assuming both. I won't take you seriously in this regard until you say why. Also, the iPad and iPhone are not disruptive, and the 3DS is not a counter to them in any way. This is why the main feature is 3D vs an App store.

I also think you're not giving enough credence to the piracy problem on DS, it's something Iwata (and other industry heads) talk about all the time.  It also probably helps explain the huge drop in software figures for Europe over the past year, which is partially why I think 3DS may launch in Europe before America.  I'd also say it's partially why DSi was introduced, but even that's sort of had a mixed result in curbing piracy.

Companies have never launched system based on Piracy. Nintendo has combated R4, but have never launched a new DS because of it. Also, Piracy probably isn't a problem when the system has been out for 6 years and Nintendo games still top the charts.

And in regards to 3rd parties, I was framing it around Japan (and my general argument that Japan's a key reason to launch a Wii successor next fiscal year).  Though there have been a few admitted bright spots there recently (DQMBRV, Inazuma Eleven) but those were likely a long time coming, and the lineup overall is still simply anemic compared to 2009, with no signs of improvement.

So, they will launch a new system becuause one region isn't preforming well (where every other system does about the same).

Smashchu2 said:

You are right about the Wii software, but remember that Nintendo din't have a huge system launch coming in 2008,  and 2009, and the Wii is still getting Software. Just because we know little about 2011 (like we always do with Nintendo) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I wrote something about disruption but lost it. Again, you provide no reason for why Nintendo is making Apple a focus nor why they should make it a focus. You are assuming both. I won't take you seriously in this regard until you say why. Also, the iPad and iPhone are not disruptive, and the 3DS is not a counter to them in any way. This is why the main feature is 3D vs an App store.

Companies have never launched system based on Piracy. Nintendo has combated R4, but have never launched a new DS because of it. Also, Piracy probably isn't a problem when the system has been out for 6 years and Nintendo games still top the charts.

So, they will launch a new system becuause one region isn't preforming well (where every other system does about the same).

I'm just going on what we know, and right now it looks like Nintendo's internal support has dried up for Wii, and traditionally that only happens when a successor platform is in the wings.  Who knows, maybe EAD will announce a ton of stuff next year, but from my perspective it looks like they're going to end with Wii like they did with GameCube... with Zelda, and just Zelda.

Apple's potentially encroaching on Nintendo's casual/lifestyle marketplace with iOS games.  So far it's arguably made a bigger impact on PSP than DS, but I think Nintendo has the foresight to see where it's headed and part of their strategic lurch back to the core we saw at E3 is reflective of that (regaining a "lost" market that iOS gaming isn't fundamentally palatable to).  Now if you be so kind as to return the favor, and explain to me why PS3/3DTV is a focus for Nintendo when it comes to 3DS?

Combating piracy was part of the focus of DSi actually, and it's also an issue Nintendo's made central to 3DS, even at this early stage.  Though as I said, piracy isn't the sole reason for launch, it's just a significant factor.

And Nintendo always looks to their home market first, that's well established by this point.  Japan needs a Wii successor, and it'll probably get one by New Year's Day 2012.

Metallicube said:

I also think Nintendo could be the aggressor and release their next console first.I bet they took a look at MS releasing the 360 first and thought, "huh.. if we would have just done that, we would probably have  over 55% of the market right now."

yeah they could be but after now having a big brand name,the question is do they need to be agressive?

After all, pretty much the sole reason the 360 is edging out the PS3 right now is because it has a year head start.

you think that 360 is just ahead because of one year head start........................lmao

if PS3 would have been at 360's price,it would have left 360 far behind

I think Nintendo's next console will launch in 2012, with MS shortly behind, possibly the same year or 2013,

if nintendo next console is as powerful as other then 720 will release before as MS won't be able to compete

and Sony will be last with a 2014 release.

that would be too late,PS4 will come in 2013 for sure

I can see Sony trying to drag out the PS3 as long as possible, to a slow and painful death, to try to pile up as many PS3 sales as they can before moving on.

yes they will but they will release PS4 alongside

andremop said:
Reach said:

Xbox 720 sounds really stupid... lol

In a certain way Playstation 4 is not that good also.

It's like movies, after the big 3 it looks not as cool. I don't think it'll be called that.

PS4 is alot better than 720

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Now the Playstation brand is at an all time low. Their consoles respectively are dead last,

their console isn't dead last,its last but nowhere near dead

They permanently lost their dominance over America,

bullshit

and they will never get that back. For the forseeable future, they will stay third there.

yeah but how is that permanently and we don't know what will happen in the future as America runs behind the  Popular thing so if PS4 is the popular then they will buy it

That happens to also be the location where most of the big money multiplats are produced, and the spot that most people worldwide target first for revenue.

again bullshit,just because its this gen doesn't mean America is the biggest money place.it wasn't the case in PS1,PS2 days

THIS upcoming generation, they don't have the advantage of a superior brand, instead they have the gimp of an inferior brand in North America at least. If they launch late again,

yes they don't have the best brand but still very good brand which is selling good even after high price and late entry

the brand name won't help them stage a late game face save like it's done this generation.It would be vastly stupid not to at least lend some creedence to the theory that launching early helps, because it obviously does.

early entry helps but low price helps too.don't just think that PS3 is selling low because of late entry but the main reason that is high price

yes the brand name won't help but Nintendo consoles didn't have a brand name either and they are ahead everyone even after releasing late

That is a main reason it's been so doom and gloom for the PSP over the 3DS fiasco. The 3DS is supremely awesome, and it's getting a huge unfettered foothold in the next gen handheld market. There is no competition, and getting to the game late in busniess is not good.

3DS isn't just getting attention because of releasing early but also because of the brand name

Sony needs to realize the next gen does not start when they say it does. They need to react to competition, instead of expecting to win no matter what,

sony didn't say they will win the next gen if they release late,its just your assumption that you think they do.

and maybe they wouldn't always be losing to everyone lately, like Nintendo, Microsoft,  and Samsung.

they aren't just losing because of the late entry but because of the high price that they put out for the future technologies

jarrod said:
Smashchu2 said:

I'm just going on what we know, and right now it looks like Nintendo's internal support has dried up for Wii, and traditionally that only happens when a successor platform is in the wings.  Who knows, maybe EAD will announce a ton of stuff next year, but from my perspective it looks like they're going to end with Wii like they did with GameCube... with Zelda, and just Zelda.

This is poor reasoning. Your saying "We know nothing, so the conclusion must be there is nothing and a Wii will come." We both know Nintendo always holds back their games. They held back Donkey Kong. They held off on Wii Party for a while. They are holding back on Zelda. How could they not have anything in 2011 when we know nothing about it?

Apple's potentially encroaching on Nintendo's casual/lifestyle marketplace with iOS games.  So far it's arguably made a bigger impact on PSP than DS, but I think Nintendo has the foresight to see where it's headed and part of their strategic lurch back to the core we saw at E3 is reflective of that (regaining a "lost" market that iOS gaming isn't fundamentally palatable to).  Now if you be so kind as to return the favor, and explain to me why PS3/3DTV is a focus for Nintendo when it comes to 3DS?

Again, you are taking a conclusion and running with it. All of a sudden, iOS games are threat. How are they a threat. There is no evidence they are encroaching on anything. And you claim they have foresight.

The thing I find unbelivable is how you can't connect the dots. If Nintendo made their new DS a defence against the iPad or iPhone, than the DS would focus on an App store, or might have other functionallity like online or a phone. It doesn't have any of this, and their store was always a minor focus (esspecially when compaired to Microsoft and Sony). But it does have one feature: 3D. Now think about it, which competitor has 3D. Who might the 3DS be fighting. It's Sony. They make video games and 3D. Their Playstation 3 is going to make 3D a big focus. Now Nintendo intends to disrupt it.

You are looking at it backwards. You look at the why than the how, instead of the how and then a why. This is why you miss the obvious fact that the 3DS is going after Sony where Sony is investing heavily into 3D. Now why are they doing this. This should be obvious. There have been plenty of companies that have jumped into video games and have failed. This is why Apple is not a threat because they will likely fail, esspecially without their own developers. Atari was very successful. It was considered the largest computer company of the time. Now, how is Atari relevant? Nintendo has only had two serious competitors: Sega and Sony. Sega has been kicked out a long time ago. Now Sony is all that is left. Some may say "Sony isn't doing well now. Why focus on them?" They were a threat, and if left along, could become a threat again. Nintendo's move makes perfect sense. At the very least, they will kill Sony's last ditch effort and kick Sony out of the videogame market. The best case senario is that Sony goes out of business making them irrelevant forever.

If you still don't see Sony as their focus, then let me make others say it for me

Nintendo always positions new hardware launches and press conferences right where they will damage Sony the most and "steal their thunder". They refused to announce a launch date for Wii back in 2006, until Sony announced the launch date for PS3. Shortly thereafter, they announced that the Wii would launch just a few days after PS3 did. Much more recently, Nintendo scheduled their pre-e3 press conference to end right before Sony's started-- They knew Sony would be touting 3d games, so what did they do? They showed off the 3DS at the end of the conference. People were still "high" from the experience as they walked through the doors to Sony's conference and ended up being thoroughly unimpressed by Sony's 3d showing. This is just 2 examples: Nintendo has been deliberately attacking "Sony's thunder" this entire generation, and it's very clear when you look closely. (Here)

Remember when Sony announced the PSP at E3 2005? Immediately, Nintendo churned up the DS and had it ready to show at E3 2006. And it looked pretty bad. The DS phat didn’t get much better aesthetically. But it shows the DS was pretty rushed. Remember, the DS was originally billed as ‘third pillar’ because it was designed as a response to the PSP. It wasn’t originally seen as the successor to the Gameboy Advance. Some guys at NOA tried not to abandon the GBA. They don’t work there anymore.

Remember when Nintendo announced the Wii price cut? They did so right in the middle of Sony’s press conference at the Tokyo Gaming Show (or whatever you call it).

The Wii launching immediately beside the PlayStation 3 was not a coincidence. If Sony comes out with new hardware or is about to come out with new hardware, Nintendo will put out new hardware.

When will the Wii successor come out? Well, when the PlayStation 4 does or when Sony puts out new console hardware. (Here)

Combating piracy was part of the focus of DSi actually, and it's also an issue Nintendo's made central to 3DS, even at this early stage.  Though as I said, piracy isn't the sole reason for launch, it's just a significant factor.

I never said they don't care about it, just it doesn't justify a console. Never has a console launched because of piracy. I say it's not even a reason (if that's the case, where is the PSP2?)

And Nintendo always looks to their home market first, that's well established by this point.  Japan needs a Wii successor, and it'll probably get one by New Year's Day 2012.

Yes, but they will not sacrifice the console because on region is under preforming (when so is everyone else). Console's, in general, are not doing well there. It may be a lot of reasons, but there is little reason to make a new one.

Smashchu2 said:
jarrod said:
Smashchu2 said:

This is poor reasoning. Your saying "We know nothing, so the conclusion must be there is nothing and a Wii will come." We both know Nintendo always holds back their games. They held back Donkey Kong. They held off on Wii Party for a while. They are holding back on Zelda. How could they not have anything in 2011 when we know nothing about it?

Again, you are taking a conclusion and running with it. All of a sudden, iOS games are threat. How are they a threat. There is no evidence they are encroaching on anything. And you claim they have foresight.

The thing I find unbelivable is how you can't connect the dots. If Nintendo made their new DS a defence against the iPad or iPhone, than the DS would focus on an App store, or might have other functionallity like online or a phone. It doesn't have any of this, and their store was always a minor focus (esspecially when compaired to Microsoft and Sony). But it does have one feature: 3D. Now think about it, which competitor has 3D. Who might the 3DS be fighting. It's Sony. They make video games and 3D. Their Playstation 3 is going to make 3D a big focus. Now Nintendo intends to disrupt it.

You are looking at it backwards. You look at the why than the how, instead of the how and then a why. This is why you miss the obvious fact that the 3DS is going after Sony where Sony is investing heavily into 3D. Now why are they doing this. This should be obvious. There have been plenty of companies that have jumped into video games and have failed. This is why Apple is not a threat because they will likely fail, esspecially without their own developers. Atari was very successful. It was considered the largest computer company of the time. Now, how is Atari relevant? Nintendo has only had two serious competitors: Sega and Sony. Sega has been kicked out a long time ago. Now Sony is all that is left. Some may say "Sony isn't doing well now. Why focus on them?" They were a threat, and if left along, could become a threat again. Nintendo's move makes perfect sense. At the very least, they will kill Sony's last ditch effort and kick Sony out of the videogame market. The best case senario is that Sony goes out of business making them irrelevant forever.

If you still don't see Sony as their focus, then let me make others say it for me

Nintendo always positions new hardware launches and press conferences right where they will damage Sony the most and "steal their thunder". They refused to announce a launch date for Wii back in 2006, until Sony announced the launch date for PS3. Shortly thereafter, they announced that the Wii would launch just a few days after PS3 did. Much more recently, Nintendo scheduled their pre-e3 press conference to end right before Sony's started-- They knew Sony would be touting 3d games, so what did they do? They showed off the 3DS at the end of the conference. People were still "high" from the experience as they walked through the doors to Sony's conference and ended up being thoroughly unimpressed by Sony's 3d showing. This is just 2 examples: Nintendo has been deliberately attacking "Sony's thunder" this entire generation, and it's very clear when you look closely. (Here)

Remember when Sony announced the PSP at E3 2005? Immediately, Nintendo churned up the DS and had it ready to show at E3 2006. And it looked pretty bad. The DS phat didn’t get much better aesthetically. But it shows the DS was pretty rushed. Remember, the DS was originally billed as ‘third pillar’ because it was designed as a response to the PSP. It wasn’t originally seen as the successor to the Gameboy Advance. Some guys at NOA tried not to abandon the GBA. They don’t work there anymore.

Remember when Nintendo announced the Wii price cut? They did so right in the middle of Sony’s press conference at the Tokyo Gaming Show (or whatever you call it).

The Wii launching immediately beside the PlayStation 3 was not a coincidence. If Sony comes out with new hardware or is about to come out with new hardware, Nintendo will put out new hardware.

When will the Wii successor come out? Well, when the PlayStation 4 does or when Sony puts out new console hardware. (Here)

I never said they don't care about it, just it doesn't justify a console. Never has a console launched because of piracy. I say it's not even a reason (if that's the case, where is the PSP2?)

Yes, but they will not sacrifice the console because on region is under preforming (when so is everyone else). Console's, in general, are not doing well there. It may be a lot of reasons, but there is little reason to make a new one.

Just assuming Nintendo is "holding back" is equally if not more poor reasoning.  I'm just dealing with the facts at hand, which seems a safer route that assuming the existence of more internal Nintendo Wii games.  The only even potential indication we have there is Pikmin 3, and even that is pretty suspect and a project that could be easily moved.  Plus the development timelines match eerily to what the wind down for N64 and GameCube were; Zelda as the last climax, maybe an experimental title or two in the wings, but those usually get pushed to next cycle anyway in some capacity (see: Animal Crossing).  Yes, N64/GC had far different market conditions than Wii sees itself in now (though I'd also argue their N64 drawdown was itself premature, especially in the US market), but there's a real similarity here all the same.

You also seem to be fundamentally missing my point with 3DS as a defensive measure... I apologize if I haven't "connected the dots" for you, but the reasoning here seems so clear I thought you'd be able to keep up.  Laying it out, 3D is a defensive strike against iOS as it's something the iDevices can't really offer in the short term (due to being both single and touchscreen).  It's a stark visual upgrade that also doesn't follow the traditional system spec/screen res upgrade path (which Apple seems locked into).  Defense through differentiation and forgoing the traditional upgrade path is basically the same approach they took with with DS (against PSP) and Wii (against PS3/360) which also makes your "what other device has 3D?" reasoning for PS3 look pretty shallow and off point.  Nintendo combats through differentiation, and they do that at a fundamental level (fundamentally, PS3D and 3DS are both still 3D).  I'd agree there's a market strategy for 3DS being a PS3D spoiler (and you saw that pushed hard in Nintendo's E3 conference), but that seems pretty unlikely to be a structural approach to the platform given what we know about the development timelines and technologies involved. 

Apple's encroachment has also been well documented, both within the industry press and by the sales volumes we're seeing companies talk about on the platform.  Entertainment is entertainment, and Nintendo and Apple are coming into closer spheres in that regard than most Nintendo fans seem willing to admit.  Even worse, Apple's success here seems largely accidental at a planning level.  Indeed Apple's gaming ambitions are dubious at best, they have an awful track record here with no internal R&D, yet they've almost stumbled into this market to great success and now they're reworking to capitalize on that.  You're just being naive or contrarian if you really insist there's no potential crossover here. And your Atari comparison is frankly ridiculous.

Nowhere did I say a new console ever launched exclusively due to piracy, but to say it can't even be a factor is simply driving one's head in the sand. Market realities drive these things, and piracy is certainly a market reality.  Since you bring up PSP though, it's worth pointing out that the frequent PSP model refreshes have always brought improved piracy protection measures, and the 3000 model is still uncracked for widespread use.  The push to try and shift to digital with the platform (and failed Go experiment) is also in part a response to the crippling piracy problem on the machine.  Bringing up PSP in this case, doesn't exactly strengthen your argument.

And you need to stop calling Japan just "one region".  It's significance to the company pretty obviously extends far beyond that, and they frequently jump cycles due to it, even if the platforms are still healthy elsewhere.  This exact thing happened with N64 and GBA, which both had to be forcibly "put down" in America.  There's not even any real 'sacrifice' here, I'd argue there's a much larger potential return on a new platform in year's time even in America than there would be on Wii alone.  NOA could've kept GBA going alone through 2006 easily, but looking at how DS exploded, I doubt they care all that much in retrospect (much to the chagrin of Mother fans).

maybe if sony release the ps4 a few years after the x720 and wii2 then that could be considered the next gen console after those next gen consoles if you know what i mean so ps4 could have the upper hand

Dazzle said:

maybe if sony release the ps4 a few years after the x720 and wii2 then that could be considered the next gen console after those next gen consoles if you know what i mean so ps4 could have the upper hand

Mid cycle jumps rarely turn out well.  In fact, gaming's never really had one be a real mainstream success (PC Engine, CDI, 3DO, Jaguar, Dreamcast, Wonderswan, NeoGeo Pocket, N-Gage, etc, etc).