By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter Time: Abandon Ship... Every Pubisher by itself....

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Resident_Hazard said:
TX109 said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Well, for once Pachter isn't making asinine predictions, he seems to be stating negative sales data for the Wii over the last year.

Which, of course, is the way the last few Nintendo consoles have gone.  System launches successfully, system gets decent 3rd party support and attention, Nintendo fans refuse to buy games or support 3rd party efforts, 3rd party companies abandon sinking ship.

The casual audience that bought the Wii as a barely-used fad doesn't help things.  For as high as the sales are for the Wii, individual game sales should be much higher to match.

seriously, knock it the hell off.

i am sick and tired of this "elitism" crap. i am a nintendo fan. i freely admit that. i've also done my damnedest to support good third-party efforts on the wii, and i'm not the only one (don't believe me? check my games collection). i wonder just who you think you are to be making such unfair generalizations?

I'm not elitist, I'm just a regular gamer (for that matter, I'm pretty awful at most games for some reason).  There really is no reason anything I'm saying should be seen as offensive or elitist.  Nintendo isn't perfect and they certainly never bat 1000. 

What I stated, though, is really how the last three Nintendo console cycles have run:  The system launches successfully, starts off with a lot of promise and 3rd party support, and then it trickles off very clearly about three years into the cycle.  That's a fact, man.  Sure, the N64 started somewhat slowly (with only 3 launch titles in the US), and there was strong support from 3rd party companies, like Acclaim and Midway.  Towards the end, it was almost nothing.  The GameCube started off far better (third party support-wise, but with lower sales than the N64), but was still pretty dry towards the end, whereas the PA2 and Xbox maintained a strong release line-up. 

My "generalization" isn't just fantasy that comes from no where.  Third party titles sell worse on Nintendo systems, and this is a fact that just hasn't changed in three generations.  They sold better, comparitively on the SNES, but that was the last time.  Blaming developers and publishers and is just stupid, and foolishly ignorant.  It's not their fault, it's the audience.  And the audience on Nintendo systems during the N64 and GC generations was overwhelmingly Nintendo fans, and this time, Nintendo fans and the new Blue Ocean crowd.  During the first two-three years of the GameCube, it received almost all the same games as the Xbox and PS2--it was GameCube owners who consistantly maintained lower sales of those things.  That's not my fault, that's not your fault--that's just Nintendo fans--in general--buying Nintendo games over 3rd party titles.  And let's be real, Blue Ocean gamers don't know what the hell to buy.  I know plenty of those people.  Trust me, my Mom has a Wii--and it doesn't matter how many times I... well, she did listen to me tell her about Muramasa... (but that's only one game).

Who knows?  Maybe this time, things would've been different if the Wii was technically on-par with the X360 and PS3, and the control scheme would've pushed 3rd party titles to greater success on the Wii.  Had it been on the same level, technically, it certainly would've gotten a lot more of the cross-platform titles the Sony and Microsoft got, but by now, we'd have countless streamlined FPS titles, rather than Metroid Prime 3, The Conduit; and hoping four years in hoping that Goldeneye would finally get it right. 

I understand that there are Nintendo fans also buy third party games, but looking at sales, we're obviously in the minority.  Just the way it is.  That's the way it's been for three generations.  And feel free to look over my collection if you like, Nintendo systems easily dominate it.  I'm still surprised how much stuff I have for the Wii (and one of these days, I will get back to NMH2, but I've been too into S&P lately). 

Hey, seriously, I've been called a fanboy a bajillion times.  ... come to think of it, I've been called that for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony, as well as a hater of Microsoft and Sony. 

I think the analysis of why 3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo would (and should) make a good conversation--but not when it boils down to retardness like just assuming game developers are morons, and not when it doesn't allow for varying opinions.  The only two sides I tend to see are "developers are idiots" and "Nintendo owners don't buy third party games"--and the second argument is flamed cruelly by Nintendo fans, thus killing any kind of conversation.  I looked over a profile recently that had only Nintendo systems and a PS2 with almost no games.  That person's opinion on Nintendo is most likely blind and should be taken with a grain of salt--and this is the kind of person usually flaming me and treating me like an elitist. 

(Treat response as a generalization, this isn't geared straight at you.)

Sales data seem to confirm what you say, http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&publisher=&console=Wii&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total the only 3rd party title in Wii's Top 10 licenses Mario from Nintendo. Excellent 3rd party games end up selling less than Wii Music. Most probably Nintendo manages to shape the majority of its audience around its 1st party SW offer a lot more deeply than competitors, this gives it an incredible share of SW sales, but it obviously hurts 3rd parties.

Please do name them. Please.

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Resident_Hazard said:

[...]

I'm not elitist, I'm just a regular gamer (for that matter, I'm pretty awful at most games for some reason).  There really is no reason anything I'm saying should be seen as offensive or elitist.  Nintendo isn't perfect and they certainly never bat 1000. 

What I stated, though, is really how the last three Nintendo console cycles have run:  The system launches successfully, starts off with a lot of promise and 3rd party support, and then it trickles off very clearly about three years into the cycle.  That's a fact, man.  Sure, the N64 started somewhat slowly (with only 3 launch titles in the US), and there was strong support from 3rd party companies, like Acclaim and Midway.  Towards the end, it was almost nothing.  The GameCube started off far better (third party support-wise, but with lower sales than the N64), but was still pretty dry towards the end, whereas the PA2 and Xbox maintained a strong release line-up. 

My "generalization" isn't just fantasy that comes from no where.  Third party titles sell worse on Nintendo systems, and this is a fact that just hasn't changed in three generations.  They sold better, comparitively on the SNES, but that was the last time.  Blaming developers and publishers and is just stupid, and foolishly ignorant.  It's not their fault, it's the audience.  And the audience on Nintendo systems during the N64 and GC generations was overwhelmingly Nintendo fans, and this time, Nintendo fans and the new Blue Ocean crowd.  During the first two-three years of the GameCube, it received almost all the same games as the Xbox and PS2--it was GameCube owners who consistantly maintained lower sales of those things.  That's not my fault, that's not your fault--that's just Nintendo fans--in general--buying Nintendo games over 3rd party titles.  And let's be real, Blue Ocean gamers don't know what the hell to buy.  I know plenty of those people.  Trust me, my Mom has a Wii--and it doesn't matter how many times I... well, she did listen to me tell her about Muramasa... (but that's only one game).

Who knows?  Maybe this time, things would've been different if the Wii was technically on-par with the X360 and PS3, and the control scheme would've pushed 3rd party titles to greater success on the Wii.  Had it been on the same level, technically, it certainly would've gotten a lot more of the cross-platform titles the Sony and Microsoft got, but by now, we'd have countless streamlined FPS titles, rather than Metroid Prime 3, The Conduit; and hoping four years in hoping that Goldeneye would finally get it right. 

I understand that there are Nintendo fans also buy third party games, but looking at sales, we're obviously in the minority.  Just the way it is.  That's the way it's been for three generations.  And feel free to look over my collection if you like, Nintendo systems easily dominate it.  I'm still surprised how much stuff I have for the Wii (and one of these days, I will get back to NMH2, but I've been too into S&P lately). 

Hey, seriously, I've been called a fanboy a bajillion times.  ... come to think of it, I've been called that for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony, as well as a hater of Microsoft and Sony. 

I think the analysis of why 3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo would (and should) make a good conversation--but not when it boils down to retardness like just assuming game developers are morons, and not when it doesn't allow for varying opinions.  The only two sides I tend to see are "developers are idiots" and "Nintendo owners don't buy third party games"--and the second argument is flamed cruelly by Nintendo fans, thus killing any kind of conversation.  I looked over a profile recently that had only Nintendo systems and a PS2 with almost no games.  That person's opinion on Nintendo is most likely blind and should be taken with a grain of salt--and this is the kind of person usually flaming me and treating me like an elitist. 

Sales data seem to confirm what you say, http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&publisher=&console=Wii&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total the only 3rd party title in Wii's Top 10 licenses Mario from Nintendo. Excellent 3rd party games end up selling less than Wii Music. Most probably Nintendo manages to shape the majority of its audience around its 1st party SW offer a lot more deeply than competitors, this gives it an incredible share of SW sales, but it obviously hurts 3rd parties.

MH3 is the first that springs to my mind, but you can check sales of the best 3rd party games on Wii ordered either by critic and user scores:

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=&keyword=&console=Wii&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Critic Score

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=&keyword=&console=Wii&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=User Score

Are you going to tell me that all those that scored high but sold less than Wii Music are actually rubbish and both users and critics were wrong?

Edit: Oh, shit, the stupid new VGC editor cuts away "plus" characters, you'll have to add a plus by hand between Critic and Score and between User and Score in the links to go to the right pages.

Edit 2: actually you'll have to add "plus character" and "Score", because the stupid VGC editor replaces "plus" with a white space, so it cuts away what's after a "plus" in every link. Sorry.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

routsounmanman said:
Resident_Hazard said:
TX109 said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Well, for once Pachter isn't making asinine predictions, he seems to be stating negative sales data for the Wii over the last year.

Which, of course, is the way the last few Nintendo consoles have gone.  System launches successfully, system gets decent 3rd party support and attention, Nintendo fans refuse to buy games or support 3rd party efforts, 3rd party companies abandon sinking ship.

The casual audience that bought the Wii as a barely-used fad doesn't help things.  For as high as the sales are for the Wii, individual game sales should be much higher to match.

i am sick and tired of this "elitism" crap. i am a nintendo fan. i freely admit that. i've also done my damnedest to support good third-party efforts on the wii, and i'm not the only one (don't believe me? check my games collection). i wonder just who you think you are to be making such unfair generalizations?

Coincidence? SNES got great support from third parties, thus sold software. There can really be no argument of selling software when PSP gets a Kingdom Hearts, a MGS, a Resident Evil, etc while Wii gets the shaft.

well nintendo was annoying on snes era, and to sell on the console they had to bend over, now its there is competition.

third party had to censore blood, and do everythign nintendo said.

irstupid said:

i love attach rates and percentages arguments used.  do they think we are morons?

lets use simple numbers for showing of game sales (purely fictional, just proving  a point)

Nintendo: 100 games in 09' and 90 games in 10'

Sony & MS: 25 games in 09' and 50 games in 10'

oh look both Sony and Microsoft improved software sales by 100%, while Nintendo declined by 10%

Now onto attach rates

Nintendo has 75 million Wii's sold and has sold 750 million software units.  Attach rate = 10:1

Sony & MS has 50 million of their consoles each sold and has sold 750 million software each units.  Attach rate = 15:1

Percentages and attach rate mean shit.  Its actual numbers.  A developter would chose concrete numbers over % or AR all the time.  If you sell 5 million of your game, that is it, you sold 5 million.  Congrats.  Who gives a shit if that 5 million on PS3 means the attach rate is higher, due to less hardware out there versus Wii.  5 million is 5 million regardless of other factors.

This is what I think. If the console has sold 1 billion games and they sell only 5 million, who cares? you still made great profit(assuming your budget was not so ridiculously high).

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

alfredofroylan said:

"Wii software sales were down 19% year-over-year and DS software sales were down 13%, while PS3 software sales were up 58% and Xbox 360 software sales were up 29%. We think this is remarkable, given growth in the Wii hardware installed base of 44% and growth in the DS installed base of 33% over the last 12 months. In contrast, the PS3 installed base is up 60% and the Xbox 360 installed base is up 32% over the same period. Software sales growth mirrored hardware unit growth for both the PS3 and Xbox 360, but sorely lagged hardware unit growth for the Wii and DS. In our view, this indicates that Nintendo’s customers either are not finding enough software to satisfy their needs, or need less software than the typical Sony or Microsoft customer. ...software attach rates for the Wii continue to decline, and publishers appear to be reluctant to support the console as broadly as the other two, notwithstanding its huge lead in installed base. We think that Nintendo will continue to dominate sales on its console, with its first-rate lineup of games, but fear that other publishers have prematurely abandoned the very large Wii audience, and see further year-over-year software sales declines for the Wii for the next several months. These declines will make year-over-year industry sales growth difficult to achieve." - Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wii-being-prematurely-abandoned-by-publishers-says-pachter/

... no?

Love how he answers his own question.

First, I want to say YoY is not that good of a measurment. It's a good, cheap way to tell short term trends and seasonal changes. The problem is it is far over used. YoY does not take into account months before and after the set dates and doesn't give you the whole picture. These analyst need to start using Exponential Smoothing and Autoregression if they want to start making good analysis.

The other thing is Patcher misses the fact that Wii and DS software dominate the top 10 (and 20) charts. NSMBWii just sold 15 million worldwide. It looks like Wii owners do buy lots of software, but just get trash. No one produces what they want. I am starting to think Patcher is in bed with these third party companies. This quote is a great reason not to make games on the Wii. They say that despite growth, they don't buy games. He even goes to say they buy less games then XBox 360 and PS3 users. (BTW, which is false. These are precents, not actual numbers. All it says is that sales for DS and Wii games are lower than 2009 in the same month and XBox and PS3 sales are up over the same time last year. They don't say who is selling more over, which is most likely Nintendo. I think this is Patcher trying to bend the new).

I think they are changing their strategy. It use to be that they say the Wii was going to fall and the bubble was going to burst. While the Wii did decline after 2008, it is still doing better than the others and is even up YoY in the US. So, they can no longer use the Wii is a fad. They also used Wii HD. Why make a Wii game when the Wii HD will come. Why make a Wii game when it's just a fad. All of these are just ploys so that third parties don't have to make Wii games. Investors demanded 3rd parties make Wii games, so these exist so they can tell them they shouldn't make Wii games. We'll see how long it takes investors to wake up, but I think it will be the reports for the next quarter or two.

Around the Network

They are doing the same thing that they always do to nintendo home consoles.  Its a tradition and the more realistic possibilities on the other systems vs the creative requirements of developing for the Wii make the the draw too great toward the higher tech.  We say its a business, but money won't make people fully go against their tendencies.

"But if you really want to use the 3rd party argument (because that is all you have left against the Wii), let's look at some of the titles coming.. Conduit 2, Epic Mickey, The Grinder, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Goldeneye, DQX, Arc Rise Fantasia, De Blob 2, Lost in Shadow, Samurai Warriors 3, LOTR: Aragorn's Quest, NBA Jam, Ravving Rabids Travel in Time, DJ Hero 2, Sonic 4, Sonic Colors, Just Dance 2, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Flip's Twisted World, Tournament of Legends, Legend of the Guardians, Tales of Graces. Some other quality titles like Monster Hunter 3, Little King's Story, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, COD: Reflex,  Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and Fragile have also come out recently. This doesn't exactly look like the lineup of a dying console to me."

Doesn't exactly look like the lineup of a thriving console either.

Qays said:

"But if you really want to use the 3rd party argument (because that is all you have left against the Wii), let's look at some of the titles coming.. Conduit 2, Epic Mickey, The Grinder, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Goldeneye, DQX, Arc Rise Fantasia, De Blob 2, Lost in Shadow, Samurai Warriors 3, LOTR: Aragorn's Quest, NBA Jam, Ravving Rabids Travel in Time, DJ Hero 2, Sonic 4, Sonic Colors, Just Dance 2, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Flip's Twisted World, Tournament of Legends, Legend of the Guardians, Tales of Graces. Some other quality titles like Monster Hunter 3, Little King's Story, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, COD: Reflex,  Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and Fragile have also come out recently. This doesn't exactly look like the lineup of a dying console to me."

Doesn't exactly look like the lineup of a thriving console either.

Probably because you don't relate to these games much. Had he said God of War 3, RDR and GT5 you would have been salivating, right? But they all leave me indifferent, as do almost all games on PS360 (I'd buy Alan Wake if it arrived to the PC). It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Resident_Hazard said:
TX109 said:
Resident_Hazard said:

I didn't call you an elitist. you are calling nintendo fans elitists based on your statements. I'm not normally bothered by other people's crap, but unfair generalizations really piss me off, especially when the person making the generalizations  passes his/her own opinion as fact.

Let me explain to you why third-party developers are considered idiots. let's say a developer releases some lame party game with no substance on the Wii. This game performs poorly. Now, the smart thing to do in an event like this is to get the development team together and ask "what went wrong, and what can we do to improve in the future?" but no, they run around like chickens with their heads cut off blaming the consumer. On top of that, there are some developers who have seen a great deal of success on the Wii, and then decide to snub Wii gamers with their next project (Blazing Angels for example). Nintendo is so successful because they know what their audience wants. they make the kinds of games that everyone can enjoy. It has nothing to do with technical power or mature content.

I recall you mentioning Madworld in a previous thread. I rented and beat that game, and I wasn't impressed. While it is well made and a  n overall good game, it has nothing other than shock value going for it. tell, me, why do you expect a black and white, ultra-violent game to succeed with the masses?

That being said, I understand that nintendo isn't perfect. They have never been perfect, and they never will be perfect. They are still leagues ahead of the competition with regards to game quality IMO. For you to say that you know what the average consumer wants better than the average consumer is not only wrong, it's rude. The analysis of why third-parties don't sell on the wii stops being a good debate when people blame the userbase. Maybe that's why you've been flamed in the past?

The bolded statement is false. The N64 and Gamecube recieved poor third-party support from the beginning, and the Wii didn't recieve any meaningful third-party support until about 18 months in.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
routsounmanman said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

MH3 is the first that springs to my mind, but you can check sales of the best 3rd party games on Wii ordered either by critic and user scores:

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=&keyword=&console=Wii&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Critic Score

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=&keyword=&console=Wii&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=User Score

Are you going to tell me that all those that scored high but sold less than Wii Music are actually rubbish and both users and critics were wrong?

Edit: Oh, shit, the stupid new VGC editor cuts away "plus" characters, you'll have to add a plus by hand between Critic and Score and between User and Score in the links to go to the right pages.

Edit 2: actually you'll have to add "plus character" and "Score", because the stupid VGC editor replaces "plus" with a white space, so it cuts away what's after a "plus" in every link. Sorry.

A music game (Wii Music) and a game like MH3 is incomparable. The former has a huge audience to sell to (like, everybody), while the latter appeals to a very small crowd. In fact, why not take a look at how other MH games have done on other platforms yourself?

A game more comparable with Wii Music (a relative failure) would be Just Dance. The game has quite easily outsold Wii Music, and continues to sell, as it is high quality (which is determined by people, not critics).

If 3rd parties can put out this same quality for other games, it wouldn't matter whether Nintendo's name is on the box or not. Resident_Hazard's complaints are based upon the premise that the 3rd party games are on par with Nintendo's, but the reality is they're not. Nearly all of my bought games are from Nintendo, because they're the ones worth keeping (I borrowed / rented many of the 3rd party titles). They also generally appeal to far more people.

Anyway, quite a few high profile 3rd party games are coming to the Wii soon - Goldeneye, Epic Mickey, NBA Jam, then DQX (though much later), and so on. These are games with sales potential, unlike most of the examples people put out (though MH3 was big in Japan).