By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:
HKN said:

Once the PS3 hits $199 it will fly past the 360.

Sigh... Because price is obviously the sole reason people are not flocking to the PS3, right?

one of the biggest reason

and the reason why after being the biggest brand in 2006.PS3 couldn't take over  because of the price and Wii got the attention

On that I can agree. IMO PS3 lost the lead solely due to price and the Wii momentum. Funny thing though, none of the two are happening anymore. Seriously, the people who would buy a PS3 only at 199$ are the mainstream gamers, and for them, the Wii is a much more lucrative purchase.

Case in point : Both the 360 and PS3 have reached out to most of their corresponding target consumer base. Maybe Move or Kinect can turn things around, both I wouldn't bet on that.

Around the Network

Guys, what are you talking about? PS3 has already surpassed Xbox 360. No, not just Xbox 360, even Wii! Check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_nav

He he he…

routsounmanman said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:
HKN said:

Once the PS3 hits $199 it will fly past the 360.

Sigh... Because price is obviously the sole reason people are not flocking to the PS3, right?

one of the biggest reason

and the reason why after being the biggest brand in 2006.PS3 couldn't take over  because of the price and Wii got the attention

On that I can agree. IMO PS3 lost the lead solely due to price and the Wii momentum.

PS3 would have won if $249 same as Wii and overshadowed the other consoles like PS2 did and Wii would have never gotten any momentum

Funny thing though, none of the two are happening anymore.Seriously, the people who would buy a PS3 only at 199$ are the mainstream gamers, and for them, the Wii is a much more lucrative purchase.

yes because the PS3 was expensive at first and that damaged the name.

the major winning point for PS2 was that it released at low price with a big brand and overshowed its competition and never let them come up

PS3's huge price damaged its name a bit and also brought Wii the attention

as the casuals buy only cheaper and popular consoles.PS3 is cheaper now but Wii got both popularity and price like the PS2.

PS3 still survived as it had a very big brand name behind it.XBOX 360 or Wii would be near what PS3 is today with its price

Case in point : Both the 360 and PS3 have reached out to most of their corresponding target consumer base. Maybe Move or Kinect can turn things around, both I wouldn't bet on that.

yes 360 and PS3 has reached their target usebase but the advantage with PS3 is that it still has bigger brand and is popular around the world and as i said before if a thing is popular and cheap,the casuals will buy it so i think PS3 can sell more

Move an Kinect will not do much,they are just to counte each other and to level the things a little bit so that Wii brand doesn't not have the  clear advantage for next generation's start as a big brand and low price will win you the console sales race

Mr Puggsly said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

ps3 doomed? again? :S man that sounds familiar

I still say its doomed. I mean just bearing in mind its a horrible financial failure.

Well, if you're going to go with that as the standard for what a doomed console is, then I guess the 360 is doomed, as well.  It still hasn't come close to making back the billions lost from the original X-Box or the billions lost from its own first years of being on the market.  So far, the X-Box brand has yet to be profitable.  Something that has led some of MS's investors to cry out for them to drop out of the console market and put more focus on maintaining its OS marketshare.  If Kinect proves not to be the success MS hoping for, you can expect to hear more investors crying out for the same thing.

At least on a positive for Sony, the Playstation brand, as a whole, has still remained profitable. 

^this

I think it's a little too early to say sony and the PS3 are done, things like this always happen in the console market, products always sell better than their competitors here and there. just because the 360 sold better than the PS3 and wii this week doesn't mean it will do it for the rest of the generation.(same for the PS3 and Wii)

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Mr Puggsly said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I still say its doomed. I mean just bearing in mind its a horrible financial failure.

Well, if you're going to go with that as the standard for what a doomed console is, then I guess the 360 is doomed, as well.  It still hasn't come close to making back the billions lost from the original X-Box or the billions lost from its own first years of being on the market.  So far, the X-Box brand has yet to be profitable.  Something that has led some of MS's investors to cry out for them to drop out of the console market and put more focus on maintaining its OS marketshare.  If Kinect proves not to be the success MS hoping for, you can expect to hear more investors crying out for the same thing.

At least on a positive for Sony, the Playstation brand, as a whole, has still remained profitable. 

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=19625436&postcount=90

The Playstation brand is barely above water, I suspect that a newer version of the above shows them at or below 0.

The EDD will probably poke its head above $1B profit for the financial year ending 2010. If you want to talk about it as a going concern then yes it'll take a while to break even. If you're talking about the Xbox business as an asset then its already paid itself back because it could be sold for more than they have lost thus far, netting them an overall profit. Further to that, they are getting better returns than simply leaving the cash in the bank. So whether Kinect does anything or not, they still have no reason to be specifically concerned about the Xbox 360 moving forward.

Tease.

Guys, what are you talking about? PS3 has already surpassed Xbox 360. No, not just Xbox 360, even Wii! Check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_nav

He he he…

Dang the PS3 is outselling the Wii these days eh?

Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:
Mr Puggsly said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

The Playstation brand is barely above water, I suspect that a newer version of the above shows them at or below 0.

The EDD will probably poke its head above $1B profit for the financial year ending 2010. If you want to talk about it as a going concern then yes it'll take a while to break even. If you're talking about the Xbox business as an asset then its already paid itself back because it could be sold for more than they have lost thus far, netting them an overall profit. Further to that, they are getting better returns than simply leaving the cash in the bank. So whether Kinect does anything or not, they still have no reason to be specifically concerned about the Xbox 360 moving forward.

YOU THINK XBOX business can be sold for $9.5billion.only that amount will give MS a profit

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:
Mr Puggsly said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

YOU THINK XBOX business can be sold for $9.5billion.only that amount will give MS a profit

No, I think it can be sold for more than $5.7B Because the last $312M profit wasn't accounted for and this quarter will probably give them about $100M profit overall so that link will read very differently in less than 30 days.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:
Mr Puggsly said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

No, I think it can be sold for more than $5.7B Because the last $312M profit wasn't accounted for and this quarter will probably give them about $100M profit overall so that link will read very differently in less than 30 days.

MS in total have made a loss of $9.5billion and recovered only around $300m last year which brings it down to $9.2 billion loss

fisical year 2009-2010 has not taken into consideration

those neogaf figure are not correct.i have seen a  bigger list

so now we have $9.2billion substract profit from FY09-10

so $5.7b will not fetch them a profit on XBOX

also nobody would pay even $5.7BILLION to MS because of the following:

console business requires alot of  investment

the brand has to be relaunched every 5-6 years

also alot os XBOX hardcore fanbase is because of MS itself,so some fans will stop buying it

XBOX brand is not succesful even after spending so much as they are still fighting for 2nd place and nowhere near 1st

XBOX 720 would lose again if PS4,Wii2 drops at $299 OR something around that