By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

Solid_Snake4RD said:

MS in total have made a loss of $9.5billion and recovered only around $300m last year which brings it down to $9.2 billion loss

fisical year 2009-2010 has not taken into consideration

those neogaf figure are not correct.i have seen a  bigger list

so now we have $9.2billion substract profit from FY09-10

so $5.7b will not fetch them a profit on XBOX

also nobody would pay even $5.7BILLION to MS because of the following:

console business requires alot of  investment

the brand has to be relaunched every 5-6 years

also alot os XBOX hardcore fanbase is because of MS itself,so some fans will stop buying it

XBOX brand is not succesful even after spending so much as they are still fighting for 2nd place and nowhere near 1st

XBOX 720 would lose again if PS4,Wii2 drops at $299 OR something around that

The Neogaf reports are all I've seen - could you please link the 9.5billion loss report?

EDIT: I found this link - http://gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/index.php/2010/06/28/state-of-the-video-game-console-war/

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The problem is you're looking at the Xbox 360 Arcade. But the masses clearly want the Elite and its still $300. A price cut on the Elite will definitely boost sales. And a $99 Arcade wouldn't hurt sales either.

THE MASSES clearly want Elite..........................Lmao

the hardcores want elite not the people who bought 360 because it was cheaper.

the price cut of Elite will help but not for the masses and only hardcores who care about elite

the $99 Arcade won't hurt but it would do a big impact either and the way MS is going,tey won't cut Arcade's price to $99

Kinect will have a much bigger impact than the Move. The Move is far too similar to the Wiimote.

Kinect will also have a BIGGER price

and this is just your prediction.nobody has any idea how they both will sell.All the NATAL/KINECT hype died down after the dissapointing MS E3 conference

Well the Wii has very similar motion controls as the PS3. Perhaps some competition there?

you weren't talking about the Wii motion control and its price

and the Wii motion control has already made its impact.and you are fogetting that PS3 has Motion control in HD

You living in the past or something? MS has big things coming now.

????????????????????????

so you just discard everything that happened in the past?

and you were the one who said MS always counters SONY which its didn't do last year

Everyone wants the Elite. People might settle with the Arcade because of price, but the masses want the Elite. So when it hits $200 you can expect a huge sales boost. Especially if MS does the price cut before Sony.

no the masses don't care about elit,they care about the games whihc are playable on Arcade.

yes $200 will have a big boost but not as big as you think as people already have ARCADE's

Also, I think a $99 Arcade will be huge. I just noticed the Gamecube saw its best sales at $99. The Original Xbox saw its best sales when it went under $200. Almost 50% was sold at $149. I think the 360 will follow suit.

$99 arcade would be big but MS won't do it for now and if they do $149 first and then $99 then it won't have much boost.

Gamecube had its best sales at $99 but it wasn't selling at a higher price thats why.and even XBOX wasn't selling at the higher price and that the entire generation was low priced.

this generation has been high priced and even then people bought the console,it isn't that just because of the lower price people will buy 2-3 360'S

Do the math. The Move starter kit is $99. The navigation controller is $30. Some games seem to require 2 Move controllers. That'll be another $50 for that experience. And if you want to play multiplayer, you'll need more Move controllers.

you can use DS3 as NAV

I don't need to buy MOVE STARTER bundle as i already have an EYE.

Only one MOVE

and those some games requiring 2 MOVE controller will be rare so don't push it

And for the game,i am already buying LBP,SOCOM,SORCERY,KILLZONE so why should i buy it

Multiplayer is your problem as nobody in my home plays so i won't need more controllers.also like Wii people will buy more controllers

also KINECT can't take more than 2 people at a time

so thats just $40 for a MOVE controller as i will be buying in Europe where it is cheaper and it will be more discounted on sites like AMAZON

The Kinect on the other hand will most likely be under $150. My guess is more like $120. And you don't need any more accessories and multiplayer can be played on a single device. The Kinect seems like a bargain in comparison.

how is it a bargain?????????? 

also don't forget that MOVE will have alot more games and better ones for all genres

also MOVE price was  affected by MS disappointing conference.

MOVE is cheaper in EU,JAPAN and

MOVE can also get a price cut as it costs alot less that its price to make

Well I'm just saying the Wii can still have a negative impact on PS3 sales. Especially considering their motion devices are very much the same.

the impact will be no greater than current one MOVE can only benefit

Well did they really need to counteract immediately? The Xbox 360 had huge sales last year. They are still millions ahead of the PS3. Most importantly the 360 was likely sold at a profit. We know Sony was taking a hit for each PS3 sold.

they are still 5million ahead even after being cheaper

yes 360 had huge sales but not bigger than PS3

how is it important that 360 was making a profit when we are discussing sales,stop bullshiting

Now its 2010. The 360 Slim has been released with no price and its selling like hot cakes.

you are talking as if 360 has been selling like hotcakes whole of 2010 till now.............lol

its just been 2 weeks and we don't know if it will continue

and about 360 SLIM hotcakes,we don't know what is selling like hotcakes the discounted ARCADE and ELITES or the SLIM.

The Kinect is coming and its getting a lot of attention (unlike the Move).

almost all NATAL hype died down this E3 after KINECT name and MS horrible conference

Reach is coming and that'll generate ungodly amounts of money along with Xbox Live Gold subscriptions.

REACH releasing doesn't mean XBL money will be made

do you even know how a game makes money

I also expect a sales boost when the 360 Slim Arcade gets released.

we will see when that happens

Unless Sony gots another price cut up its sleeve or actually releases GT5, I don't know what else they can do to combat MS in the near future.

SONY will only do a price cut if SLIM,KINECT,360 price cut makes an impact 

GT5 dropping November.you should follow gaming

Do you ever stop?

You've trashed this thread more than a lil bit.

Sorry but your stealth trolling and like last time I'm sure you'll post on my wall talking bs and have me banned for a week. *which in turn had you banned for a week aswell...ironic eh*

Your adding nothing to this discussion...infact I will say YOUr ATTACKING other users who do not support the ps3 blindly and anyone who has a differing opinion to you....if you don't think soo..you quote soo much you can't even quote correctly anymore...your post are a train wreck.

BTW last time I checked...theres more than just GT-Recycle for gamers.* I luv Gt as much as the next guy...but until i have it in my hand and see it for myself..it's all hype...been done for the last 10 years...when I see a ss that has n64 tree's and then e3 i see ''gameplay'' that has photorealistic qualitys...I call ''bs''.

Spew your unfounded and confusing points all you want.

BTW last time I owned you about kinect vs move pricing..you kindly hit the report button on every single post I made.

You attack user's waaay too much here and I emplore a real mod to set you straight.

Solid_Snake4RD said:

no the masses don't care about elit,they care about the games whihc are playable on Arcade.

Unless we can find the sales difference between Arcade and Elite units, no point in debating this.

$99 arcade would be big but MS won't do it for now and if they do $149 first and then $99 then it won't have much boost.

I agree $149 is more likely to happen first. I also think it'll have massive sales boost at that price. I expect another huge boost if they can manage to get it down to $99. I don't think the original Xbox went under $149 though.

Gamecube had its best sales at $99 but it wasn't selling at a higher price thats why.and even XBOX wasn't selling at the higher price and that the entire generation was low priced.

this generation has been high priced and even then people bought the console,it isn't that just because of the lower price people will buy 2-3 360'S

Well there has been a great demand for the Xbox 360 at the current high price, and there will be an even bigger demand at lower prices as long as it keeps receiving quality software.

you can use DS3 as NAV

That sounds comfortable. I think people rather use a Nav controller.

I don't need to buy MOVE STARTER bundle as i already have an EYE.

I'm looking at the big picture. Not just what you have.

and those some games requiring 2 MOVE controller will be rare so don't push it

Well if you want to experience those games you better have another Move controller lying around. The Kinect won't have that problem. No extra cost to play with a friend either.

Multiplayer is your problem as nobody in my home plays so i won't need more controllers.also like Wii people will buy more controllers

Once again, I'm looking at the big picture. You're just telling me why this isn't your problem.

also KINECT can't take more than 2 people at a time

Maybe it only supports 2 people, maybe it doesn't. All I know is buying two move controllers and an Eyetoy isn't cheap either. Especially when you have to buy Nav controllers.

so thats just $40 for a MOVE controller as i will be buying in Europe where it is cheaper and it will be more discounted on sites like AMAZON

Once again, you keep focusing on yourself. It'll take more than you to make the Move a success.

how is it a bargain?????????? 

Because buying everything for Move isn't cheap. Especially for multiplayer gaming.

also don't forget that MOVE will have alot more games and better ones for all genres

I doubt it. The Kinect has potential you can't get on the Move and vice versa. I mean its full body tracking vs a Wiimote knockoff.

also MOVE price was  affected by MS disappointing conference.

MOVE is cheaper in EU,JAPAN and

MOVE can also get a price cut as it costs alot less that its price to make

Uhhh... first one is an opinion, second is true, and I think you just pulled the third out of your ass.

the impact will be no greater than current one MOVE can only benefit

Well I think being so similar to the Wiimote may deter some people. They basically already experienced it.

they are still 5million ahead even after being cheaper

yes 360 had huge sales but not bigger than PS3

how is it important that 360 was making a profit when we are discussing sales,stop bullshiting

Sorry, I was under the illusion that profit is important for some reason. Anyhow, I made my point why they didn't need to counteract immediately.

you are talking as if 360 has been selling like hotcakes whole of 2010 till now.............lol

its just been 2 weeks and we don't know if it will continue

and about 360 SLIM hotcakes,we don't know what is selling like hotcakes the discounted ARCADE and ELITES or the SLIM.

I didn't make the claim. But sales are relatively the same as last year which was great. I expect a big holiday as well.

Well I think 2010 will be bigger than 2009. But we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I'd like to think a $50 price cut on an obsolete model made that much of an impact. But I doubt it.

almost all NATAL hype died down this E3 after KINECT name and MS horrible conference

I disagree, but its still getting a lot more attention than the Move.

REACH releasing doesn't mean XBL money will be made

Of course it does. It'll be a major reason people sign up and renew for XBL Gold.

do you even know how a game makes money

From the game itself being, DLC for Reach will be huge, and XBL Gold generates money I imagine.

we will see when that happens 

Yes, you'll definitely see a boost when it happens.

SONY will only do a price cut if SLIM,KINECT,360 price cut makes an impact 

GT5 dropping November.you should follow gaming

Can Sony afford to do a price cut so soon though? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Sorry I'm not following a game I really don't care about. I just noticed this site hasn't posted the release date.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DirtyP2002 said:
snfr said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Do people expect GT5 to move 3 million consoles? I doubt there are three million people waiting to get a PS3 for one game. I know last gens sales of the GT franchise were huge, but is it the same this gen?

GT5p sold 3.78 million copies (bundled), which is definitely good, but not super awesome huge mega - like.
GT on PSP sold 1.3 million, which is not that good.

Racing games are not that popular anymore. Shooter seem to be the best selling genre on th HD consoles. Halo, Modern Warfare, Gears etc.

GT5 will be bundled as well, but I have my doubts it will move hardware as good as people think.

As a racing fan, I already had the chance to play dozens of Racing games. There are 5 Need for Speed games, 2 Forzas, 2 Test Drive Unlimiteds, 1 Race PRO, 2 PGRs, 2 DiRTs, GRID, Ridge Racer, 3 Moto GPs, 2 Nascar, 2 Burnouts, Blur, SpiltSecond and PURE - but that is not all.  I think most of the racing fans could have picked a console already.

I really think there are no huge system sellers left for this gen. Look, the 360 will be in its 6th year (!!!) soon. The PS3 will be in its 5th year soon. Both have HUGE libraries. One game won't make people to buy a system at this age.

I don't think that the push GT5 will give to the PS3 will be so huge (not 3 million!) but it will be huge anyway.

But seriously, stop treating GT5 Prologue like a full game. It wasn't only a demo of course, but when you compare it to GT1-4 it had "almost" no content.

Still it SEEMS to ME that the GT franchise is not as big as it once was. Same goes for the whole Racing genre.

2.7 million people played the Halo Reach beta in 2 weeks. And compared to a full Halo, there was "almost" no content as well. I think Halo or other shooter are more popular than racing these days.

only in the US, there is japan and europe and especially europe Racing > halo

kowenicki said:

oops... wrong again huh?

so.. MS is sitting on $5.8Bn losses... which they can pretty much afford as it represents about 1/3 of their annual profits

Sony (despite their gaming dominance over the years) is sitting on cumulative losses of around $2bn.  

those two numbers will move closer togtehr over the next 2 years too.

Am I reading this chart right?

It seems the 360 could potentially be profitalbe. Does this include profits from XBL?

While Sony lost all the profits from the PS2 and then some.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I dont care about the sales as long as Sony keeps releasing quality titles

Mr Puggsly said:
kowenicki said:

oops... wrong again huh?

so.. MS is sitting on $5.8Bn losses... which they can pretty much afford as it represents about 1/3 of their annual profits

Sony (despite their gaming dominance over the years) is sitting on cumulative losses of around $2bn.  

It seems the 360 could potentially be profitable by the end of this gen.

If this is the case, then do you think Kaz Hirai and the execs above him at Sony are looking at this data and their internals and questioning whether it is a wise business decision to invest in creating a PS4?

Also, does anyone have any estimates on how much Move and Kinect have cost in terms of research, development, production, and marketing?

Will the sales from Move and Kinect recuperate their initial start-up costs in order to be considered a profitable business venture, thus a good business decision?

lets just totally throw out the fact that the 360 had a year headstart on the other two consoles and yet ps3 is only 5 million behind and has been catching up. 

of course the new box and old sku sales will boost the numbers, but its a short lived phenom.  and if your going to attribute the kinect as a strong system seller, than you can't count the move out...which will also do the same for the ps3.

and i'ma a ninty gamer, so its not like im backing one console or the other here.  just sayin it like it is

kowenicki said:
Mr Puggsly said:
kowenicki said:

oops... wrong again huh?

It seems the 360 could potentially be profitable by the end of this gen.

You are reading it correctly...  and whats more MS will post a bigger profit this FY than Playstation ever managed in a single year.

I knew the PS3 was a huge financial failure... but this is unbelieveable.

To make matters worse, Sony isn't done losing money yet.

Recently Completed

Kwaidd said:

lets just totally throw out the fact that the 360 had a year headstart on the other two consoles and yet ps3 is only 5 million behind and has been catching up. 

of course the new box and old sku sales will boost the numbers, but its a short lived phenom.  and if your going to attribute the kinect as a strong system seller, than you can't count the move out...which will also do the same for the ps3.

and i'ma a ninty gamer, so its not like im backing one console or the other here.  just sayin it like it is

Well past Playstation consoles dominated the competition by massive numbers. Even the ones that had a head start (Saturn and Dreamcast).

Clearly Sony did something wrong this time around. My guess is Sony presumed the PS3 would dominate the 360 at any price. I think everyone did.

Recently Completed