By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What's your guys 1st week and lifetime (Japan) predicton for Lost Odyssey?

Mistwaker will drop MS, despite the fact that ASH bombed? Yeah right.

Lost Odyssey cost less to make than Blue Dragon, last time I checked. It was UE3, and because it didn't use an in-house engine, it wasn't as expensive.

IMO, we should see sales like:

150k first week
300-350k LTD.

I don't understand the whole "people won't buy it. Kaim looks like a girl" when FFXII's Vaan (the main character) was vastly more feminine, and sold 6m+ copies.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

First Week 100K

Lifetime 50K ( half of them will take it back) 

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

indeed vann was a sheman whole way through.......

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

125K first week.
250K LTD.

World wide 750,000 copies LTD and the game won't break even (not because of a high budget for the game itself but considering the bribe MS had to give Sakaguchi), but on the whole it will be considered worth it by MS since the game is a crucial part of strengthening the X360 in Japan.

Lost tears of Kain said:
dabaus513 said:

Im just curious, whats the estimated budget for this game? Id imagine its pretty high considering they hired that japanese author, MS bribed sakaguchi and nobou to make the game and music, used the unreal engine 3, and are probly going to advertise the hell out of it. Also on 1ups latest podcast they talked about how MS never released a demo to the japanese and they came to the conclusion that they think this game was rushed to meet the holiday demand. Any confirmation on whether or not there was a demo released?

Anyways i expect 80k first week sales
400k lifetime sales.

Worldwide i predict about 850k lifetime sales. Would this game break even, even if it sold that many?

Edit* I also forgot to mention just starting mistwalker in general as to why the budget mey be pretty high. Also mentioned that MS wasnt impressed with BD sales and thats why I think that those 2 games cost alot more than what we think/thought. Plus im sure the blank check that they gave saka. and nobou. has a part in the budget too. I mentioned that above but wasnt very clear about it.

Yes it will break even at least. im guessing its at max a 10 million dollar budget, which im guessing needs 500k or so sales to break even, and thats at max. I really have no idea. Again as long as MS advertises this it should sell fine.

Id be more worried about killzone with its 40 million budget, if your suggest LO wont break even with 850k then killzone will need 4 million sales to break even, and that will be huge for the ps3.....

Im sorry lost but i think this game has a much larger budget then 10 million. Plus the blank check they gave sakaguchi and nobou, I dont think this game will break even for MS, but i dont think they care either.

Speaking of killzones 2 budget. That game will never break even. I would have rather seen a couple new IP'sor sony pay off kojima for mgs4 exclusitivty than waste all that money on kz2.

Around the Network

blue dragon do 84 when there is only 200K hardware

LO is much bigger than BD and has 500K software
I will not be surprised if it hit 200K in its first week !!
I think between 140K - 180K

mrstickball said:
Mistwaker will drop MS, despite the fact that ASH bombed? Yeah right.

Lost Odyssey cost less to make than Blue Dragon, last time I checked. It was UE3, and because it didn't use an in-house engine, it wasn't as expensive.

Mistwalker want to sell games.

It's all very well to sit on a big paycheck from MS and watch Blue Dragon crawl its way to 200K in Japan even after the budget release, but that's not where they want to be.  They want gamers to be playing their games, and they want to be competing with the big boys.

How much longer do you think they want to develop for a system that is selling 5000 units a week in Japan?

PSN - hanafuda

Mistwaker wants to sell games. Thats why they made ASH, and ASH did worse than Blue Dragon did.

Sakaguchi said he would be happy if Blue Dragon sold 100k. It's sold double that, and is still charting on the X360 1 year after launch.

How much longer does Sakaguchi want a paycheck for what he does? We've already seen that despite how big ASH was supposed to be, with it's cutscenes and huge 2Gb cart, that it did well under Blue Dragon's opening week, on a system that had almost 100 times the hardware sold when BD launched versus ASH.

Microsoft pays Sakaguchi to make games. Microsoft gives Sakaguchi the ability to make whatever games he wants, since it's his studio. Not only that, they ensure that their venture remains profitable, since any discrepancy with sales is re-couped with Microsoft. Isn't that what Sakaguchi wants? To make games that sell, and keep him, and his other developers, paid?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I don't really see why you keep referencing ASH. The DS is swamped with RPGs, while the 360 is begging for them.

Look at the JPN install base of the 360 now, compared to how it was a year ago when BD came out. It is hardly any different.

Mistwalker hyped themselves up too much with their uber team of meisters, and while they promised so much, so far they have delivered very little (including ASH). If they aren't careful they are going to get swept aside. As it stands, they have precious little time before some big hitting RPGs hit the PS3. Level 5's White Knight Story looks set to be huge. Lost Odyssey ,or any other effort on the 360 isn't going to be able to compete. I don't think that is what Sakaguchi wants.

Also, while MS may be made of money, they do draw the line somewhere. So far this collaboration with Mistwalker hasn't exactly paid off...

PSN - hanafuda

Look how wrong we all were. Game almost flopped and the X360 is now officially dead in Japan.