By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What's your guys 1st week and lifetime (Japan) predicton for Lost Odyssey?

FinalEvangelion said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
FinalEvangelion said:
First Week: 75k
Lifetime: 150k

As I said in the other thread, this won't be as big as Blue Dragon. Expect the usual Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy ratio - 4:3. This is more like FF, while BD is more like DQ.

How can you say that......

Famtisu most wanted, BD was NEVER as high as LO is, that and the userbase is alot bigger then when BD was released.

Edit: correction BD eventually hit 2nd for most wanted......guess it did beat LO

However those are still meek sales

150k is .......just eww

Japanese love their chibi characters more than realistic looking characters.  I think LO will be alot more successful on the worldwide market. 

I think it will barely be a million seller world wide.  The major problem in this for the West is that the main character looks like a girl (and that is always a big problem when most people want their characters to look like MC).  For me, this is probably my most wanted game for '08 along with White Knight Chronicles.  If it weren't for this game, I probably wouldn't have a 360.

I actually have doubts on the million, and like you said because of the west. Only way this game will be big in the west is if MS advertises it alot which they should.

Yea i know japanese like their chibi characters, but FF does really really well there. Im lowering my  prediction to same as famitsu but 150k is still really small considering games like ace combat are almost going to hit that.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

its sad, this game will mostly likely end in the 80s for average score, very VERY few jrpgs stay in the 90s (FF and maybe a few more) so i usually consider any jrpgs in the 80s as AAA games.

It kills me inside that star ocean 3 got a 80 average rating...... such a good game (besides the voice acting)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

It could end up doing in the realm of 250k lifetime, and then I will have to eat my words. Since I put the prediction out there, I'll have to do what John Lucas does and stick with it. If it passes 150k, I'll gladly eat crow.

I'm thinking the US reviewers will give this an 80%. Most of them are naturally FPS fans because the stigma is FPS = hardcore, everything else = casual for America. But this game looks like it has all the elements I want - Great Storyline, fun battle system, HD graphics, world map, etc.

Microsoft does need to advertise this game in the West, or their marketing team needs to be fired.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Im just curious, whats the estimated budget for this game? Id imagine its pretty high considering they hired that japanese author, MS bribed sakaguchi and nobou to make the game and music, used the unreal engine 3, and are probly going to advertise the hell out of it. Also on 1ups latest podcast they talked about how MS never released a demo to the japanese and they came to the conclusion that they think this game was rushed to meet the holiday demand. Any confirmation on whether or not there was a demo released?

Anyways i expect 80k first week sales
400k lifetime sales.

Worldwide i predict about 850k lifetime sales. Would this game break even, even if it sold that many?

Edit* I also forgot to mention just starting mistwalker in general as to why the budget mey be pretty high. Also mentioned that MS wasnt impressed with BD sales and thats why I think that those 2 games cost alot more than what we think/thought. Plus im sure the blank check that they gave saka. and nobou. has a part in the budget too. I mentioned that above but wasnt very clear about it. 

eugene said:
I have high hopes in Lost Odyssey doing extremely well. I believe Japan is hungry for another huge, big budget RPG. Final Fantasy XII came out for them in 2004. If Lost Odyssey becomes a cultural hit, it could definitely move systems beyond what Blue Dragon did.

Well from your estimates these people must have been starving for years without any food whatsoever.

Personally I think they are all willing to wait for Dragon Quest IX on DS.

Around the Network

They may be. Alot of people actually say that the last really good Final Fantasy game made was in 2001 with FFX. So if enough people have been waiting for a proper follow up and Lost Odyssey takes off, they could sell butt loads. It depends on the word of mouth, hype, marketing, etc.

dabaus513 said:

Im just curious, whats the estimated budget for this game? Id imagine its pretty high considering they hired that japanese author, MS bribed sakaguchi and nobou to make the game and music, used the unreal engine 3, and are probly going to advertise the hell out of it. Also on 1ups latest podcast they talked about how MS never released a demo to the japanese and they came to the conclusion that they think this game was rushed to meet the holiday demand. Any confirmation on whether or not there was a demo released?

Anyways i expect 80k first week sales
400k lifetime sales.

Worldwide i predict about 850k lifetime sales. Would this game break even, even if it sold that many?

Edit* I also forgot to mention just starting mistwalker in general as to why the budget mey be pretty high. Also mentioned that MS wasnt impressed with BD sales and thats why I think that those 2 games cost alot more than what we think/thought. Plus im sure the blank check that they gave saka. and nobou. has a part in the budget too. I mentioned that above but wasnt very clear about it. 

Yes it will break even at least. im guessing its at max a 10 million dollar budget, which im guessing needs 500k or so sales to break even, and thats at max. I really have no idea. Again as long as MS advertises this it should sell fine.

Id be more worried about killzone with its 40 million budget, if your suggest LO wont break even with 850k then killzone will need 4 million sales to break even, and that will be huge for the ps3.....

Actually Lost Odyssey did get a demo. http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/02/japan-gets-lost-odyssey-demo-we-get-squat/

Only 500,000 360s sold in Japan, so, er, quite a lot less than that lifetime...

Also, I predict Mistwalker dump Microsoft next year.

PSN - hanafuda

I expect it to sell 130.000 in it's first week and lifetimes sales of 250.000 copies.

@jhlennon1: You made this thread...so what do you think?