By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I figured out why the Wii doesn't get better third party support

Carl2291 said:

The Wii has great 3rd party support! Just look at all the games on the system. More than what the PS3 has!

This can be argued against, fairly easily.  All that third party support, unfortunatly, falls into the hands of people making and selling the same kind of crap you see cluttering the trenches of the iPhone.  Cheap, throw-away "casual" titles and piles upon piles of shovelware.  Just because Conspiracy Games and UFO both dropped countless titles to the Wii doesn't mean they delivered quality.

As I recall, the PS3 is the most "quality over quantity" of the three consoles, due in no small part to it having a fairly small library, comparitively.  Both the Xbox360 and PS3 have vastly more titles scoring 90% or higher (as their average) than the Wii, according to places like Metacritic.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I give credit where credit is due. I knew that my OP wasn't all that, so I wasn't surprised to see noname2200 and famousringo come up with something that put my idea to shame. But your post is better than all of ours put together.

Good job!

Thank you for not twisting my words to make me come off like some kind of twisted dissenting hater.  I love Nintendo, and Nintendo's machines easily represent the bulk of my collection, but I tire of seeing Nintendo fans choosing crap like Mario Party # or Pikachu's Half-Assed Whatnot or Wii Whatsitz over any quality third party efforts.  Nintendo fans have, at times, come off as elitist.  They complain about how "average and mundane" The Conduit was, but average and mundane titles still sell on other systems.  The Conduit scored, on average, abotu 10 percentage points higher than Haze on the PS3, and that game sold vastly higher numbers. 

To me, that translates to an unwillingness to buy 3rd party games, where supporters of the X360 and PS3 still buy the games.  So MadWorld only lasts about 7-10 hours.  It's still a high quality game and a fun and unique title.  It deserved better sales, as far as I'm concerned.  It's almost as if there are gamers that own Nintendo systems, and Nintendo fans.  And the big difference is that the fans greatly outnumber the gamers, and the fans don't buy 3rd party games.

I know a million in sales is still pretty damn good, speaking of GTA: Chinatown Wars.  But seriously, that game is a total blast, and as far as I'm concerned, the best thing on the DS.  For a system with sales ready to topple the PS2, only a million--especially for such a powerfully popular franchise--is pretty sad.  I can't think of any other game that kept me as glued to the DS as that one did.

Rol you are slipping.

Resident_Hazard said:
Carl2291 said:

The Wii has great 3rd party support! Just look at all the games on the system. More than what the PS3 has!

This can be argued against, fairly easily.  All that third party support, unfortunatly, falls into the hands of people making and selling the same kind of crap you see cluttering the trenches of the iPhone.  Cheap, throw-away "casual" titles and piles upon piles of shovelware.  Just because Conspiracy Games and UFO both dropped countless titles to the Wii doesn't mean they delivered quality.

As I recall, the PS3 is the most "quality over quantity" of the three consoles, due in no small part to it having a fairly small library, comparitively.  Both the Xbox360 and PS3 have vastly more titles scoring 90% or higher (as their average) than the Wii, according to places like Metacritic.

Quality is subjective, so one game you and I think is utter trash, someone else thinks is pure gold. So no, you can't argue against that fairly easily. That's why Carnival Games has outsold Madworld , The Conduit and both Red Steel games... combined.

"quality over quantity".  Wow, that takes me back... to N64. <3

Around the Network
Resident_Hazard said:
RolStoppable said:

I give credit where credit is due. I knew that my OP wasn't all that, so I wasn't surprised to see noname2200 and famousringo come up with something that put my idea to shame. But your post is better than all of ours put together.

Good job!

Thank you for not twisting my words to make me come off like some kind of twisted dissenting hater.  I love Nintendo, and Nintendo's machines easily represent the bulk of my collection, but I tire of seeing Nintendo fans choosing crap like Mario Party # or Pikachu's Half-Assed Whatnot or Wii Whatsitz over any quality third party efforts.  Nintendo fans have, at times, come off as elitist.  They complain about how "average and mundane" The Conduit was, but average and mundane titles still sell on other systems.  The Conduit scored, on average, abotu 10 percentage points higher than Haze on the PS3, and that game sold vastly higher numbers. 

To me, that translates to an unwillingness to buy 3rd party games, where supporters of the X360 and PS3 still buy the games.  So MadWorld only lasts about 7-10 hours.  It's still a high quality game and a fun and unique title.  It deserved better sales, as far as I'm concerned.  It's almost as if there are gamers that own Nintendo systems, and Nintendo fans.  And the big difference is that the fans greatly outnumber the gamers, and the fans don't buy 3rd party games.

I know a million in sales is still pretty damn good, speaking of GTA: Chinatown Wars.  But seriously, that game is a total blast, and as far as I'm concerned, the best thing on the DS.  For a system with sales ready to topple the PS2, only a million--especially for such a powerfully popular franchise--is pretty sad.  I can't think of any other game that kept me as glued to the DS as that one did.

China Town Wars may have been good to you... But i bet to the millions of GTA fans it isn't like GTA 3, Vice city, SAn andreas, and GTA 4...

It may be a good game, but the main crowd would like a GTA that is similiar to the console versions on their handheld. China town wars has a different style than the other GTAs (Graphically anyway). My brother is really into GTA Vice city, but you dont see him talking about China town wars maybe because it didnt look like GTA to him even though he knows that it is a GTA game. Didn't look like it.

Linkasf said:
Resident_Hazard said:
RolStoppable said:

Good job!

China Town Wars may have been good to you... But i bet to the millions of GTA fans it isn't like GTA 3, Vice city, SAn andreas, and GTA 4...

It may be a good game, but the main crowd would like a GTA that is similiar to the console versions on their handheld. China town wars has a different style than the other GTAs (Graphically anyway). My brother is really into GTA Vice city, but you dont see him talking about China town wars maybe because it didnt look like GTA to him even though he knows that it is a GTA game. Didn't look like it.

I bought all five of the GTA games on the PS2, and might even try GTA IV if we get a copy, but Chinatown Wars is not the kind of game I fell in love with.

Just look at the ads. For III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, and IV, you all see the same thing: the protagonist running around a 3D city wreaking havok. That is not what you see in the ads for CW. Heck, you barely see any gameplay at all. And from what I've seen of the first GTA games, it doesn't even feel like those.

Basically, CW is like New Coke. It's not our fault we didn't buy the game. It's Rockstar's fault for thinking that's the kind of game we wanted to buy (yes, I will say the same about any game that doesn't sell that well, and then blames the customers, even those made by Nintendo).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

the thing is that 3rd parties NEVER put REAL effort for Wii games

if they put the effort and investment Nintendo puts, including game development and game promotion the game will sell, hardcore or not

Monster Hunter 3 is a real example of effort and promotion, leading to sales!! Had ton of content and online.

Little King's Story was awesome, a lot of effort into game development, but had bad marketing a bad promotion, like many XSeed games.

RedSteel 2 is great effort, has awesome gameplay, but lacks content and online. Also, i believe it will sell in the long run...

Just Dance needed no real effort from the developer, but was something new and creative, simple, which made it to sell.

obviously, they also had to use Wii's power (motion controls) which is a reason to play Wii over other consoles and multiplayer in most games makes them appeal to Wii owners, like many games that sell just because of multiplayer

Another is thing is short Wii games, which means no effort in developing the game, which means that core Wii gamers buy it,finish it in 5 days the most and then give it to other people, so there's no reason to pay a lot of money to buy, or they just rent the game.

3rd parties lack creation and effort.... overall, they develop Wii games thinking/saying like "it won't sell anyway, so why bother"

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

wfz said:
RolStoppable said:
metalmonstar said:

It was humorous and fun, but it is too short.

It's not a matter of how long it is, but rather how you make use of it.

You can't psuedo-quote a line from Austin Powers 3 and expect people not to notice it!...

Wait, am I the first to notice?

Sorry dude, my mind was out of the gutter until you posted this, noted...

And as what R_H said, it is so true, 'cause I used to be one of them back in the 1st and 2nd gen. That is until I got a sort of a "3rd parties gives me the finger" feeling when I tried out and compared Hot Pursuit 2 on the GCN/PS2, the first game I ever considered of buying that has nothing to do with Mario, Sonic or Zelda(hey, I'm a guy and I like cars and chases). It really felt that I was being cheated on just because the GCN version was gimped(so was Xbox version when I later found out)... Since than I kinda despise 3rd Parties for quite awhile, until I realized it was just my bad luck/not all are like that and started to dwelve in them again that I finally got atleast one 3rd party game on the Wii(that I waited for years) and more on my radar.

I'm betting there are still some Nintendo loyalist out there that are trying to branch out to 3rd Party games but left with sour taste by the wrong ones, and maybe still haven't bounce back from the experience...

And as others pointed out, still waiting for that one port of a certain franchise. And before someone comes out and say "buy the other consoles", do not underestimate the word cheapness. ;)

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
TripleMMM said:
wfz said:
RolStoppable said:
metalmonstar said:

It was humorous and fun, but it is too short.

It's not a matter of how long it is, but rather how you make use of it.

You can't psuedo-quote a line from Austin Powers 3 and expect people not to notice it!...

Wait, am I the first to notice?

Sorry dude, my mind was out of the gutter until you posted this, noted...

And as what R_H said, it is so true, 'cause I used to be one of them back in the 1st and 2nd gen. That is until I got a sort of a "3rd parties gives me the finger" feeling when I tried out and compared Hot Pursuit 2 on the GCN/PS2, the first game I ever considered of buying that has nothing to do with Mario, Sonic or Zelda(hey, I'm a guy and I like cars and chases). It really felt that I was being cheated on just because the GCN version was gimped(so was Xbox version when I later found out)... Since than I kinda despise 3rd Parties for quite awhile, until I realized it was just my bad luck/not all are like that and started to dwelve in them again that I finally got atleast one 3rd party game on the Wii(that I waited for years) and more on my radar.

I'm betting there are still some Nintendo loyalist out there that are trying to branch out to 3rd Party games but left with sour taste by the wrong ones, and maybe still haven't bounce back from the experience...

And as others pointed out, still waiting for that one port of a certain franchise. And before someone comes out and say "buy the other consoles", do not underestimate the word cheapness. ;)

I have a similar want, but it's not about cheapness. It's about the principle. It's not that I want the game. I just want it on the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs