By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I figured out why the Wii doesn't get better third party support

A good try, Rol, but you must remember that the GameCube wasn't a toy. It was a lunchbox.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Armads said:

I think it's because devs don't want to even try to compete with Nintendo on quality games and choose to simply make cash-ins that take no effort yet make more money.  Why try and make the next New Super Mario Bros when Just dance 2 will make just as much money?

Not bad. Lacks originality, but overall well executed.

What other dance game on the Wii, using the Wiimote is there?  I don't know any really major ones, outside of what is on DSWare.  So, take something not really done, make it execute well enough, and market it, and you get sales from it.  A market for something is greater than originality and quality alone, when it comes to determining sales.  People have to WANT what is made.  A person who is a hobbyist as a gamer, and not just someone who plays games, may have issues grasping this concept.

This is actually a good observation.

Usually people predict the future by looking at the past. They estimated Wii to have similar success to the Gamecube.
If game development probably takes 3 years from conception to market. That means they used history to guide their decisions where to put money into making games.

99% of people are stupid. Developers are people. Therefore, 1% is Nintendo.

amp316 said:

Okay then Einstein.  If Nintendo's games are the stink that barely rises above the log known as Nintendo's 3rd party support, then why are there any Wiis sold anyway?  And if 3rd parties aren't afraid of competing with Nintendo,  then what is your explanation that their support is so poor?

Elementary, my dear amp.  

Wiis sold so well because the masses are stupid sheep who will throw away tons of money to buy whatever is trendy at the moment, even if the product itself is inferior to other stuff on the market.  We know that trends are set by celebrities (because who better to follow?) and that Nintendo shelled out cash to buy celebrity endorsements.   Therefore, the only reason that Wiis sold is because Nintendo bought celebrities to pimp their s*** to the idiotic masses.

Regarding why 3rd parties aren't on the Wii, game developers are artists, not cutthroat mercenaries, and artists deserve to have the best tools at their disposal.  Wrapping up two purple lunchboxes into an Apple rip-off facade makes for a terrible easel: artists need the greater power of other systems to create stories which rival Shakespeare and Oscar-calibre dialogue.

It's perfectly obvious, really.

Around the Network

Funny enough, I'd say Activision's actually one of the better western publishers on Wii from a "core gamer" perspective.  Yeah, they release mountains of shovelware, but their big console brands and licenses (COD, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, Tony Hawk, Spider-man, Marvel UA, etc) are at least pretty well represented on the system.  Can't really say the same for Ubisoft, THQ, EA or T2...

mikey said:

Wii is overtracked 20 million on VGChartz.

I knew it!!! so wii has been doomed and last place all along.

ot: I didn't get the joke....

TwoPointOh said:

Wii didn't getr good third party support for three reasons:

The first reason was that everybody saw the Wii falling to a distant third place this generation.  As such, they figured that they would make more money by supporting the two HD consoles. 

The second reason is that once developers saw that the Wii was  doing well, they decided to support it with the wrong types of games.  They had second and third string development teams make "casual" games for some easy money.  The games didn't sell, and developers were out of money.

Third, they put all of their main franchises on the HD systems.  So now, they are stuck on those systems as that is where all of their customers are.  If they switched over to the Wii now, they'd just sell less than they would on the HD systems since they would be effectively fragmenting their customer base.  Someone who bought a PS3 for Metal Gear probably isn't going to buy a Wii to play the next installment of Metal Gear, for example.

So, third party support is limited to spin-offs of main franchises and new expanded audience games.  Ubisoft got a smash hit with Just Dance on Wii for example, but Assasin's Creed will never sell that well on Wii since most all of the AC customers are on 360 and PS3.  Wii won't get the next installment of FF, and offshoots like Crystal Chronicles will continue to do relatively poorly.

Which looks like it, but that's not a reason to not put those franchises on the Wii at all, just to keep them also on the HD systems. Putting those games on the Wii would sell even more copies. Ignoring it is just to try to pretend they haven't fallen for the sunken cost fallacy.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The reason is that 3rd parties idiotically listen to the hardcore gamers and use their impressions of Wii to gauge their support of the console.. And since Wii is not exactly the hardcore's favorite, the developer's support is influenced by their opinions, rather than the opinions of the mass market and sales trends. Developers, like many hardcore gamers, are so out of touch with reality it's scary. This explains why one of the highest selling consoles of all time has recieved 3rd party support equal to that of one of the worst selling consoles of all time.

Hopefully they will wake up next gen, and listen to Nintendo and the mass market, rather than foolishly being influenced by a small minority of very vocal hardcore gamers, who are just as out of touch with reality as they are. As I've said before, it you refuse support of the market leader, you do so at your own risk.

Kenny said:

^No need to bother.  Industry commentators, analysts and executives finalized their divorce with reality some time ago.  Reintroducing them to reality now is sort of like explaining music to a deaf man.

Isn't that something which could be accomplished by cranking up the volume until they can feel it?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.