By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metroid: Other M sales predictions thread

"Interestingly only sold 3k more than Twilight Princess this week."

Could you please explain the comparison? (don't know what that means. Twilight Princess sold poorly?)

Around the Network
xupaxupa said:

Could you please explain the comparison? (don't know what that means. Twilight Princess sold poorly?)

Twilight Princess is coming up on being 4 year old, is why I make the comparison.

Khuutra said:
xupaxupa said:

Twilight Princess is coming up on being 4 year old, is why I make the comparison.

And Zelda has pretty much always been a much larger franchise 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

Well, yes.

I note it only because I've been keeping an eye on TP lately - TP's legs aren't really typical for a Zelda title, saving Ocarina and maybe the original.

Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

Well, yes.

I note it only because I've been keeping an eye on TP lately - TP's legs aren't really typical for a Zelda title, saving Ocarina and maybe the original.

I'm sorry its just the comparison made no sense.

It would be like me saying

hey GOW3 sold only 15% less than GTA4 this week 

Sure we can say that...but its not really fair and sounds like we're insulting the other games sales.

Anyway TP's legs are very good huh....you made a thread about them where you were gonna track it against something else...where's that thread?

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

Well, yes.

Sure we can say that...but its not really fair and sounds like we're insulting the other games sales.

Anyway TP's legs are very good huh....you made a thread about them where you were gonna track it against something else...where's that thread?

It is supposed to be sobering, a way to give perspective on the sales of a game that is only a dozen weeks old and underperforming compared to its predecessors.

TP vs. OoT will be somewhere in the sales forum. I intended to find it after the holidays.

I think part of the reason for TP being a bit of an outlier for the Zelda series is also why it makes for a particularly terrible comparison with something like MOM; it was an early platform release (launch actually, a first for any Zelda) and in nearly all aspects (aesthetic, design, story, gameplay) billed as an overtly "traditional" series installment, a return to form if you will, and Nintendo's PR practically sold it as OOT2 (which in many ways it was).

A more apt comparison with a game like MOM would be a Zelda that shared a similar context in terms of it's release (ie: late in it's platform's cycle, after a previous series installment) and design (ie: more experimental in nature, more linked to the creators wants, more controversial with fans)... and for that the only games that really come to mind are Adventure of Link and Majora's Mask, which actually upon reflection seem to have a lot in common with Other M (critically misunderstood initially, relative sales disappointments, vocal fanbase outrage).

Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

Well, yes.

It is supposed to be sobering, a way to give perspective on the sales of a game that is only a dozen weeks old and underperforming compared to its predecessors.

TP vs. OoT will be somewhere in the sales forum. I intended to find it after the holidays.

Here you go....google FTW

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=117692

The holiday console sales bump didn't lift the sales of MoM but it looks as if it held it steady 

mhsillen said:

The holiday console sales bump didn't lift the sales of MoM but it looks as if it held it steady 

For comparison's sake, at the same week in its life Corruption sold over 38k, and the week after did 55k.

The gap between the two games may well continue to swell.