By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Common misconceptions about Christianity.

c03n3nj0 said:

Whoa, way to take things out of context there, buddy. First of all, that has nothing to do with what you said. Nothing. It doesn't even have to do with conquering anything, or raping any little girls. 

In the chapter of 2 Samuel, God is punishing King David for being sinful. 

Here's part of the bigger quote: 

"Why, then, have you disobeyed my command? You had Uriah killed in battle; you let the Ammonites kill him, and then took his wife! Now, in every generation some of your descendants will die a violent death because you have disobeyed me and have taken Uriah's wife. I swear to you that I will cause someone from your family to bring trouble on you. You will see it when I take your wives from you and give them to another man; and he will have intercourse with them in broad daylighht." - 2 Samuel 12: 9-11

I just literally put a bible on my lap and wrote from it. 

Please, before you try to discuss something and say they don't know anything, do your homework first. 

Edit for spelling mistakes. 

That's even worse!

"You did something bad, so I will kill your descendants and let another guy sleep with your wife".

Let's be honest- there's some pretty horrific stuff in the Bible, like in all holy books.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
IvorEvilen said:

Reading through this thread just proves the opening post... it seems a lot of you have an awful understanding as to what Christianity is (not that it is necessarily your fault, don't get me wrong)... some of you just have no room to go around criticizing and commenting on it as it for one makes you look stupid and it as well causes others to have less of an understanding of the reality.  Don't take my post the wrong way though, I'm not saying your beliefs are wrong, but your understanding of mine is flawed.

My beliefs pretty much fall in line with what was stated in the opening post (I'm non-denominational by the way).  I go by the Bible, and nothing else.  Personally, I'm pretty much tolerant of most forms of Christianity (while many of them have traditions that are totally unnecessary), except Catholicism...  Although there are many other forms of religion that claim to be a part of Christianity, which simply aren't and they are way beyond reason.

I will admit, Christianity is a mess of different and conflicting beliefs... most of which, when you get down to it, aren't very large differences.  It's when you start bogging things down with "having" to do good deeds and not having a personal relationship with Jesus that you detract from Christianity and become something else.  Like I said, if it wasn't put in the bible, it isn't important.  God himself made sure that everything needed would be in the bible.  Sure translations differ (King James version.... ahahahahaha)... but any good pastor looks at the texts in several translations as well as its traditional language.

As for us, humans are sinful and they don't deserve to go to Heaven, which is why they need to believe that Jesus is their savior, because only he is the way to Heaven.  No good deeds can get you there, since no person is good enough to make it... so while it may not seem fair, it is the reality.

As a side note (regarding a previous post I don't want to go about quoting), God never said to rape children, but he did say to kill all the people in the land he had given to the Israelites, because they were sinful people.  God almost killed off the Israelites with his wrath on several occasions because they were awful people too.

Although, all that I've stated are little tid-bits of Christianity, and while there is a chance that someone out there will prod me with an attacking question or statement, if you want to have your questions answered, why not ask a professional (pastor, professor, ect.)?  They are better suited to answer your questions than I ever would be.

Don't take my post the wrong way of course.  Sure, I'm a little upset at the lack of understanding of Christianity in general (and I'm not talking about my personal beliefs), but I'm not trying to attack anyone.  My job is to spread what I believe to be the truth, in an appropriate manner, in hopes that someone will listen.  If no one does, it isn't my problem.  If anything, you will have more knowledge to speak on Christianity in the future, which was my ultimate goal.

I'm glad I came across this thread... it isn't uncommon to see posts that in ways attack religion in general throughout the forums (Christianity gets a lot of needless hate), and this is an issue that needed discussing.  I almost made a post on it myself in the past.  Sure, this is a gaming forum, but an issue is an issue.

Gosh... this is all pretty heavy stuff... I should end my post on a lighter note... Dragon Quest IX in two and a half weeks!

Wow, is this the same God that loves his children or something? What kind of loving parent would tell his children to kill his other children and maybe even kill them himself because they did bad things? Do you really believe this garbage, or are you just quoting something else? Damn, that's dumb. Why am I still here?

garvey0 said:

I've enjoyed reading your posts in this thread and I know you stated that you didn't want to discuss this further on the board, and I don't need for you to respond to this.  I just wanted to loosely base my post off of this particular paragraph that you wrote.  I think you bring up some valid points and remind us that we need to put the scriptures above these more modern analogies we've created.

I, too, am not totally comfortable with the whole "judicial" focused view.  However, I do believe that that view and your view are essentially the same yet the language is adjusted to appeal to different cultural bents and personality types.

I agree that God didn't have to sacrifice Jesus in order to forgive our sins, but He chose to do it that way for a number of reasons.  Keep in mind, Jesus Himself did state that he was giving Himself "as a ransom for the life of the world."  Furthermore, Isaiah states: "He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed."  Also, the fact that the guilty jesus barabbas was released and the innocent Jesus of nazereth was crucified was a clear living metaphor from God to demonstrate Jesus dying in the guilty man's place.  They even had the same first name.  However, I do agree with you in your discomfort regarding the whole thing characterized as some sort of legal loophole.  I just think that it is one of many characterizations that appeal to certain people's understanding.  As long as the message is getting out there that Jesus gave His life so that we could live, I can tolerate a number of different illustrations even if I personally find them to be slightly flawed in the analogy they make.

The important thing is that we don't rely too heavily on these analogies and go back to the Bible which is the source material for all of these doctrines.

I am of the belief that, from a Protestant perspective, if you start to move away from Reform Theology and end up doing the Evangelical selective sampling, you lose things.  I may not agree with the total depravity that Reform Theology speaks of (it considers people dung piles who are only seen as righteous, because God looks at Jesus instead of them), but I will say at least it attempts to account for everything related to salvation, even if it is more tidy than how real life works.  Also, there is an obsession in the West to turn people to be like Adam again, and return to the Garden.  I believe that Eastern Orthodox Theology, which didn't get shaped by Augustine, doesn't go down this path.  The East isn't about returning to the Garden, but to advance forward into the Kingdom, and something new, and fullfill the Law as it was written, in ways that matter that God wanted.  My take is everyone is born as Adam, with maybe some defects, but natural like Adam.  There is the curse of existence here, and natural people have a hard time making it.   I believe the East identifies salvation as not restoring to Adam, but Theosis, which is to become more like God (Reform theology this would be glorification).

There is a judicial side of things in it.  It is just the west is HEAVILY judicial in its view of things.  In the evangelical form of the Christian faith, this is what it preaches, and then you get this pardon.  From there, you and Jesus are best buds forever.  I do wonder, when Jesus and the person who has a "personal relationship" with him go out for lunch, who picks up the tab.  Of course, one does a bunch of scriptural distortion to end up making the Bible say this.  It is selective sampling of texts to make it so.  The American form of evangelical Christianity makes it also a personal thing and nor corporate (forgetting the where two or three are gathered in my name).  The idea there is a corporate form of knowing Jesus is foreign.  This shows how there has been a cultural bias put on theology. Without tradition, and saying "this is what we always have had" and able to trace its origins, and the why, you get this.  This goes for the prosperity gospel and others to.

Ok, let me give you my take on this (my as in this is what I hold now).  The whole entire death and resurrection of Christ acted as collateral to insure that what God wanted to done in the form of the New Testament, and the Church.  God trusts this to Jesus, and is able to forgive the debt, because the promise of righteousness through Christ is made it possible.  The resurrection is a showing that death has been overcome, there is a newness here.

A reason why I had said not here is because what I write on really is foreign to people here.  And when I am seeing someone write that they think people who believe there is a God have screws loose, you don't exactly have a friendly audience.  Anyhow, I do write this because the thread was about what Christianity is about, and that lends to theology being discuss.  It is up for each person to decide for themselves if what I write reflects what the Christian faith is, and then whether or not it is true.  I believe the former can be arrived at.  As for the later, it would depend on what one trusts as a canon to measure things by, and how it lines up.

By the way, can I share one advantage found in the Old Testament laws that maybe would be useful.  Those who were false prophets would end up being killed as punishment for being wrong.  Think if this was applied to the videogame industry.  Yes, it is harsh, but we wouldn't be hearing the utterances of individuals like Michael Pachter.

-

Last edited by garvey0 - on 05 August 2022

Around the Network

-

-

Kantor said:
c03n3nj0 said:

Whoa, way to take things out of context there, buddy. First of all, that has nothing to do with what you said. Nothing. It doesn't even have to do with conquering anything, or raping any little girls. 

In the chapter of 2 Samuel, God is punishing King David for being sinful. 

Here's part of the bigger quote: 

"Why, then, have you disobeyed my command? You had Uriah killed in battle; you let the Ammonites kill him, and then took his wife! Now, in every generation some of your descendants will die a violent death because you have disobeyed me and have taken Uriah's wife. I swear to you that I will cause someone from your family to bring trouble on you. You will see it when I take your wives from you and give them to another man; and he will have intercourse with them in broad daylighht." - 2 Samuel 12: 9-11

I just literally put a bible on my lap and wrote from it. 

Please, before you try to discuss something and say they don't know anything, do your homework first. 

Edit for spelling mistakes. 

That's even worse!

"You did something bad, so I will kill your descendants and let another guy sleep with your wife".

Let's be honest- there's some pretty horrific stuff in the Bible, like in all holy books.

I didn't say there weren't any morbid deeds in the Bible, but it was his punishment. To the Israelites the point of this very harsh rules was to keep them separated from the rest of the world. At least from what I know. 

@ ManusJustus, I see. Well, if you kept to the subject of your original post and not quoting something totally random would help.  

Also, no ones likes rape. 

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Squilliam said:

I thought the most common misconception was erm something along the lines of 'im right and you're wrong' in interpretting the book.

And dare goes the thread! I dont think anyone could add anymore to this

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

garvey0 said:

I agree with you that people often pick and choose what they like out of the old testament, but picking and choosing what they like is a reflection of their own destructive personalities.  If they choose to willingly ignore the context of the religion and have no interest in seeking out the true context, then the religion itself cannot be blamed because these people had pre-determined motives and are simply creating justifications anywhere they can find them.

Also, God is all-knowing but different societies, time periods, and circumstances call for different commands to fit the context.  For example, God gave the israelites many commands regarding the animals of their region.  Had He been speaking to a different region in a different time period, He would have given different commands.  I know that the commands you speak of are much heavier than the animal-related ones, but I think the analogy can still be applied.  When God gave particular orders, He was dealing with an area and a time period where savagery and barbarianism prevailed, and people were consistently at war.  I'm not saying that this is supposed to be easy to swallow, nor do I think God wants us to rejoice over it.  The new covenant and new testament clearly demonstrate that God has ordained a new age for us through his Son.  An age in which these sorts of commands are not given anymore.  God planned for this all along but had appointed a particular time for it.  The sort of piece we have now through Christ was foreshadowed all throughout the old testament. I personally believe that part of the reason that we still have these old testament books is to remind us that we are no better than many of the people who were killed in those books, yet because of Christ we are forgiven.

I really do hate getting involved in debates about religions, but I'm genuinely curious about something.

In the case where God had punished this particular man by allowing his neighbour to have his way with his wife, does God pretty much strip the (apparently?) innocent woman of her free will and has her raped by another man? I'm unsure how anyone could accept that simply as chaulking it up to context?

Fighting barbarism with barbarism. It's a rather ineffective and primitive line of thinking if your goal is to change behaviour. Even if I'd believed that God existed, this'd be something far too ridiculous for me to think that a benevolent being had decided.

My intention isn't to come off as confrontational, just curious if what I had based my judgments on are accurate or not. The rest are just my thoughts based on my interpretation of what I'd read, there's no need to feel compelled to respond to it.