By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBox 360 S overheating video

selnor said:

LOL. This is not overheating. This is either a connection fault or a settings confliction with the 360 and TV.

Overheating causes the console to completely freeze. Or if the overheating affects the GPU, the only graphical thing you see, is textures missing, or textures appearing like pixelated rainbows. 

Repeat, whatever Sony fanboy posted this on Youtube doesnt know is how an overheating problem on ANY console looks like. 

Why does it have to be a Sony fanboy? There is no chance in the world that it was actually a 360 fan, whom just put up a video on youtube about his faulty 360? Why do you even jump to conclusions like that? Lets be honest no 360 ever had a good track record when it comes down to duration

Yes its probably not overheating, and I agree that no console should be moved while a game is in, but common... Kowen and you jump at everybody like they are trying to start another RROD story on the web. I just wonder, where is starcraft? Chill out, its just a video, the guy posted it here because maybe he actually has a life outside VGC and wasnt aware of the fact that it was posted to death on VGC. And yes, Im still not sure if the youtube video was put up by a fanboy or just a random buyer whom was pissed by his new product, that arrived in a non-working condition

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

You shouldn't move a console while it is turned on with a disc spinning. If you have a free floating disc system, it will scratch your disc. Same with every current gen console, and most PCs, and also the fat PS2. That's obvious, and anyone who  doesn't know that, didn't read the instructions.

Except the other current gen consoles don't have the disc scratching problem, and nor did the 360 except for early models and now the Slim redsign. The issue is more that MS fixed the fault, then for some reason let it return on the new redesigned consoles. It's a bit weird and a little annoying if you wanted a new 360 slim.

Hate to be the person who brings up the obvious, but are you sure its not the disc, is it scratched or something?? imo opinion it looks like the tv isnt recieving the signal properly. but obviosuly i dont know that, i would try different wires, different settings, maybe a different tv, before coming to this overheating conclusion.

A203D said:

Hate to be the person who brings up the obvious, but are you sure its not the disc, is it scratched or something?? imo opinion it looks like the tv isnt recieving the signal properly. but obviosuly i dont know that, i would try different wires, different settings, maybe a different tv, before coming to this overheating conclusion.

it's an e74 error. This is exactly the type of artifacts that appear when the gpu is dying or faulty.

And did you read my post above? He looks like a hardcore gamer, not the type to fuck up a console just to burn MS over the internet. You'd have to ignore the setup he has in his room to consider that he might have had a loose wire. That kind of person doesn't look like someone who doesn't check their equipment first.

Unless he's just a huge troll with something to gain...I don't know why he would buy 4 360s and THEN make this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2RA_P7yrvE

Just look at this kid's page. He shows his room IN 4 PARTS. IT TAKES 4 VIDEOS TO SHOW HIS ENTIRE ROOM.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r2RA_P7yrvE&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r2RA_P7yrvE&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

EDIT: goddamnit, how to embed now?

Around the Network
selnor said:

LOL. This is not overheating. This is either a connection fault or a settings confliction with the 360 and TV.

Overheating causes the console to completely freeze. Or if the overheating affects the GPU, the only graphical thing you see, is textures missing, or textures appearing like pixelated rainbows. 

Repeat, whatever Sony fanboy posted this on Youtube doesnt know is how an overheating problem on ANY console looks like. 

A Sony fanboy that has more 360's than ps3's by the look of it :S

It could just be a faulty 360s, is it that hard to accept?

Scoobes said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

You shouldn't move a console while it is turned on with a disc spinning. If you have a free floating disc system, it will scratch your disc. Same with every current gen console, and most PCs, and also the fat PS2. That's obvious, and anyone who  doesn't know that, didn't read the instructions.

Except the other current gen consoles don't have the disc scratching problem, and nor did the 360 except for early models and now the Slim redsign. The issue is more that MS fixed the fault, then for some reason let it return on the new redesigned consoles. It's a bit weird and a little annoying if you wanted a new 360 slim.

Bullshit, yes they do. Have you ever moved your PS3 or Wii violently while they had a disc spinning. It will scratch the disc to shit and back. I've had it happen to me, in fact, and I guarntee you, if you want to give it a shot, go right a head, because you will end up with a scratched disc, and I can promise you that people on this very forum have had issues with this as well.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

theprof00 said:

2 PS3 boxes, possibly one in another room or YLOD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2m3b-iXgE

theprof00 said:
A203D said:

it's an e74 error. This is exactly the type of artifacts that appear when the gpu is dying or faulty.

And did you read my post above? He looks like a hardcore gamer, not the type to fuck up a console just to burn MS over the internet. You'd have to ignore the setup he has in his room to consider that he might have had a loose wire. That kind of person doesn't look like someone who doesn't check their equipment first.

Unless he's just a huge troll with something to gain...I don't know why he would buy 4 360s and THEN make this video.

That's funny, when I had an e74 error, I got 2 red rings and had to send my console in. I never got any graphic abnormalities until my console froze.

Next thing Sherlock, you are jumping to a lot of conclusions here. He has several new Xbox 360s and went to E3 so you assume he's a fan. I would assume he's a journalist, or a related member. Just as valid. That would also mean he might not pay for his own consoles, and since you hear Japanese perhaps that means he's a Sony fan.

Huge leaps of logic like yours and mine prove nothing. While I admire your attempt, anecdotal experiences prove nothing, and nothing in that video indicates a "e74 error" that sounds like something you picked up off the youtube comments. I've had to deal with warranty issues with that error before, and on the old 360s, it comes in many forms and can mean many things. It certainly isn't necessarily associated with graphics abnormalities.

To top it all off, the console is still playing. It isn't freezing, so how do you speculate this is indicative of emminant failure?

A few things:

1. He never turns the console off and turns it back on.

2. He never tries another console on the TV to see if it's doing the same thing.

3. Didn't try to change the cable out..

4. Didn't even turn the channel to see if it is related to the TV and not the 360.

We can't many any decisions with information like this, it's bullshit, and you(and the guy) guessing it's heat, it ultra bullshit, because it's an attempt at stigmitization, and you are also defending your clueless guessing and spreading it around as fact.

Let's examine e74:

The E74 Error

Officially, Microsoft calls E74 a "general hardware failure" although it seems to be a video error. In some cases, the cause is reported to be a bad video cable while others blame the HANA video scaler chip. We will be covering a wide range of relatively quick fixes for the E74 error on your Xbox 360. The cause of the E74 error and solutions to it are discussed in the guide.

Hmm.....video error? Just like everyone here guessed? General hardware failue? Looks like that is not necessarily related to heat.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
theprof00 said:
A203D said:

That's funny, when I had an e74 error, I got 2 red rings and had to send my console in. I never got any graphic abnormalities until my console froze.

Next thing Sherlock, you are jumping to a lot of conclusions here. He has several new Xbox 360s and went to E3 so you assume he's a fan. I would assume he's a journalist, or a related member. Just as valid. That would also mean he might not pay for his own consoles, and since you hear Japanese perhaps that means he's a Sony fan.

Huge leaps of logic like yours and mine prove nothing. While I admire your attempt, anecdotal experiences prove nothing, and nothing in that video indicates a "e74 error" that sounds like something you picked up off the youtube comments. I've had to deal with warranty issues with that error before, and on the old 360s, it comes in many forms and can mean many things. It certainly isn't necessarily associated with graphics abnormalities.

To top it all off, the console is still playing. It isn't freezing, so how do you speculate this is indicative of emminant failure?

A few things:

1. He never turns the console off and turns it back on.

2. He never tries another console on the TV to see if it's doing the same thing.

3. Didn't try to change the cable out..

4. Didn't even turn the channel to see if it is related to the TV and not the 360.

We can't many any decisions with information like this, it's bullshit, and you(and the guy) guessing it's heat, it ultra bullshit, because it's an attempt at stigmitization, and you are also defending your clueless guessing and spreading it around as fact.

I'm tempted to report your obvious aggressiveness, but I know it's not against the rules to be angry.

So, Watson, go check out youtube, and see for yourself that e74 causes graphical distortion.

I'm not saying you don't have a point. They are assumptions. However, I am narrowing down the range of what is possible, whereas you are not. You leave ALL possibilities open. We do not have more information on this except for what is shown on other videos. He has a huge collection of games. He could be a journalist, but he hasn't posted any other "news" on his channel except that his ps3 stopped working. So my ASSUMPTION that his ps3 broke was actually correct. Imagine that. I narrowed down the evidence and came up with a logical conclusion that turned out to be right.

My reasoning is under the assumption that he's at least as smart as you and me and has as much experience in doing so. He has a much greater collection than you or me have combined, I'm sure, and you question whether the cable was loose?!?! Look on youtube. E74 vertical lines. There are hundreds of videos showing similar artifacts to varying levels of death. Your e74 was the GPU dead. Your's didn't go through a dying phase. This guy's video is showing that, along with all the videos on youtube.

Your assumptions answer no questions and the debate will never end. If you can't argue using logical data and evidence, and instead reject it completely, then don't argue and don't attack people.

I'll finish by saying that "you could be right". However, I'll follow that up by saying that your idea goes against all presented data..

EDIT: also, to correct your misguided assumptions listed above.

He's most likely not a journalist because he has no other "controvercial" or "provocative" stuff on his page. A journalist would have a website linked or some other info. Why would he want to cover up being a journalist when d-toid posted a video of a new 360 eating a disc? That makes no sense. I could see if maybe he was a game tester...since most live in CA.
The girlfriend was on the computer, so it would be her animu, not his and therefore no logical sony affiliation. Additionally, areas of CA have heavy Japanese culture and influence so it's most likely a common thing and not some obsession with japanese things.

Also on his page are 4 videos showing off his collection. True he probably doesn't pay for his own consoles, but maybe he does. Considering the nostalgia level of the stuff he owns, he's probably about 25 give or take 5 years.

I don't think anything you presented was logical in any sort of way. And the only thing that seems possible is that he may or may not pay for his games, which really isn't relevant at all anyway. Unless you have an idea that he did indeed buy all this stuff in order to make one video showing a new 360 fail and seem like a 360 fan so that nobody would suspect he was trying to hurt MS...