By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku asks developers, "Will Kinect really not work while you're sitting?"

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Squilliam said:

What features were actually promised which are now absent from the current design brief?

How about that video where the mom drives sitting and the dad changes her car's wheels crouching?

Or using it as a remote control, remote controls' purpose is to control devices without having to get up.

Falls under the umbrella of tech demo. For instance I have never seen anyone call upon Nvidia to produce a game with the same visuals as Dawn, Dusk etc. If they never produce a game like the tech demo it doesn't mean they have done anything wrong.

Btw you can use it as a remote whilst sitting.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Squilliam said:

What features were actually promised which are now absent from the current design brief?

How about that video where the mom drives sitting and the dad changes her car's wheels crouching?

Or using it as a remote control, remote controls' purpose is to control devices without having to get up.

Falls under the umbrella of tech demo. For instance I have never seen anyone call upon Nvidia to produce a game with the same visuals as Dawn, Dusk etc. If they never produce a game like the tech demo it doesn't mean they have done anything wrong.

Btw you can use it as a remote whilst sitting.

Tech demo? So it should show what that tech actually does. But it doesn't.

About using it as remote controle while sitting, are you meaning using voice commands or gestures?

Edit: again, I'm not meaning it's a failure, I mean MS should be more honest and push Kinect for all the things it's good or even the best at. This way it could be a huge success without making some user feel cheated and pissing them off. It's not a tech problem, it's just the same old problem of MS' usual attitude.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

ArnoldRimmer said:

But Microsoft does not have unlimited freedom in changing the Kinect libraries because it has to stay compatible with previous releases. For example, it was said that the Kinect libraries requires 10% of the Xbox 360's total processing power. Developers usually try do get the maximum out of a console, so they will try to optimize it to using the remaining 90%. Now let's imagine Microsoft releases an improved Kinect library. It uses an improved algorithm for scanning the player's skeletal system that also works with sitting people, but this improved algorithm also has a disadvantage: Instead of 10%, it now uses 13% of the 360's total processing power. 3% more is not really that much, but still you could not simply update the Kinect libraries because the games released so far were optimized to use 90% of the processing power, not 87%.

Yes, obviously they would maintain backwards compatibility.

I don't see this being a huge problem. There don't seem to be any kinect based games that you CAN play sitting down. So they are really just calibrating for gestures.

Comments from Sega about how they have had only a year to work on things and how MS is constantly improving the dev kits(SDK hardware).  Devs apparently haven't had time to really get into most of the features because they were not fully functional until later in the dev cycle.  Hopefully, next year we start seeing some really unique stuff popping up.

http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/news/article/12634/Kinect-and-the-hardcore---Theres-hope-says-SEGA.html

"I think [the idea that the Kinect launch let the hardcore down] is a little harsh," Sega West president Mike Hayes told CVG. "The dev kits we've had to work on have been exponentially improving over the period we've had them. The amount you can do out of the blocks is actually made pretty tricky.

"My guess is when we're at E3 next year, more of the features of Kinect will be in use by developers. I think you'll find more clever and sophisticated applications then. It is a reasonably complicated piece of kit, therefore it's going to take us longer to use all of those aspects in a game. We're not going to be able to develop something [for the hardcore] in under a year, which is frankly what we've had".

"We want to do more clever things on it - create original ways of using it, rather than just taking existing ideas and not just doing the same thing. Having said that, of course, with the success that we've had with Wii, there are a lot of motion games we would like to reinvent for Move and Kinect."

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:

About using it as remote controle while sitting, are you meaning using voice commands or gestures?

Edit: again, I'm not meaning it's a failure, I mean MS should be more honest and push Kinect for all the things it's good or even the best at. This way it could be a huge success without making some user feel cheated and pissing them off. It's not a tech problem, it's just the same old problem of MS' usual attitude.

They already confirmed the ability to use it as a remote whilst sitting. You don't have to stand up to change the channel. Both voice and gesture work whilst sitting.

They are being honest as far as I can tell. They are pushing the styles of games which the current level of software/back end software can perform comfortably and they are pushing back features which aren't quite there yet. So whilst they can do single person voice comfortably they haven't nailed doing multiple voices in one instance so they pushed back that feature and they pushed back some of the games which rely on sitting to work.

I don't see why anyone would feel cheated by anything they have presented. They haven't shown any games which would work poorly with the interface thus far, so if you bought Kinect any of the named titles and played them you ought to be sure that the experience will work as advertised.

Tease.

JaggedSac said:

Comments from Sega about how they have had only a year to work on things and how MS is constantly improving the dev kits(SDK hardware).  Devs apparently haven't had time to really get into most of the features because they were not fully functional until later in the dev cycle.  Hopefully, next year we start seeing some really unique stuff popping up.

http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/news/article/12634/Kinect-and-the-hardcore---Theres-hope-says-SEGA.html

"I think [the idea that the Kinect launch let the hardcore down] is a little harsh," Sega West president Mike Hayes told CVG. "The dev kits we've had to work on have been exponentially improving over the period we've had them. The amount you can do out of the blocks is actually made pretty tricky.

"My guess is when we're at E3 next year, more of the features of Kinect will be in use by developers. I think you'll find more clever and sophisticated applications then. It is a reasonably complicated piece of kit, therefore it's going to take us longer to use all of those aspects in a game. We're not going to be able to develop something [for the hardcore] in under a year, which is frankly what we've had".

"We want to do more clever things on it - create original ways of using it, rather than just taking existing ideas and not just doing the same thing. Having said that, of course, with the success that we've had with Wii, there are a lot of motion games we would like to reinvent for Move and Kinect

When X360 fans here said to wait on E3 a few week ago before saying anything about Natal (Kinect) I thought they meant this years E3. So now it's next years E3 not this years. hmmm

Squilliam said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

They already confirmed the ability to use it as a remote whilst sitting. You don't have to stand up to change the channel. Both voice and gesture work whilst sitting.

They are being honest as far as I can tell. They are pushing the styles of games which the current level of software/back end software can perform comfortably and they are pushing back features which aren't quite there yet. So whilst they can do single person voice comfortably they haven't nailed doing multiple voices in one instance so they pushed back that feature and they pushed back some of the games which rely on sitting to work.

I don't see why anyone would feel cheated by anything they have presented. They haven't shown any games which would work poorly with the interface thus far, so if you bought Kinect any of the named titles and played them you ought to be sure that the experience will work as advertised.

Is Micro paying you or something, your like some PR guy for them. 

@ bolded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qlHoxPioM

So Kinect can do everything we see here? I could easily understand why people would feel cheated. I am pro Sony and if they did something like this i sure as hell wouldn't support them. They shouldn't act like it can do things it can't do plain and simple, thats false advertising, thats wrong. Don't get me wrong i am not knocking Kinect, i am knocking their tactics and how they are going about all this. I am sure kinect is great at what it can do and that is what they should show. I am just curious if they dont get everything working correctly if they will inform the average consumer? If e3 is any indication im guessing no.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Squilliam said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

@ bolded

So Kinect can do everything we see here? I could easily understand why people would feel cheated. I am pro Sony and if they did something like this i sure as hell wouldn't support them. They shouldn't act like it can do things it can't do plain and simple, thats false advertising, thats wrong. Don't get me wrong i am not knocking Kinect, i am knocking their tactics and how they are going about all this. I am sure kinect is great at what it can do and that is what they should show. I am just curious if they dont get everything working correctly if they will inform the average consumer? If e3 is any indication im guessing no.

Ok in order of demo:

1. Martial arts: They wouldn't for fear of breaking TVs.

2. Driving: They've shown that one off already, though the tyre changing is so lame no developer would implement that.

3. Monster: See Dance or Fitness app.

4. Soccer and wireframe: Seen that.

5. Scanning: Doable but probably will never be implemented widely due to cost/benefit. 

6. Sign in: Already shown

7. Video calling already shown

8. Fashion App: Doable.

9. Quiz show: Doable.

10. Media interface: Shown.

Anyway its common to show trailers etc years ahead of release, e.g. Killzone 2 E3 2005 that means that they have 3 and 3/4 years or until 2013 to pull off everything shown.

Tease.

JamaicameCRAZY said:

@ bolded

Glad to see that video again.  Reminded me of the thing that I thought the first time I saw that and then forgot……

Why didn't that skateboard have the kids fingers in the scan?  Don't matter since it's not real anyway, but when I first saw that I was impressed how Natal (now kinect) can fill in the blanks of a scan and realize that the board was under the fingers and the x-ray vision of natal could SEE it!!  Natal is x-ray eyes.

Kinect will be cool but like I said before, don't show off BS stuff that isn't going to be apart of it or be happening.  If it's in the plans then make it happen for release.  Don't know who goes out to buy a product because in 10 years it will have a new feature added that was shown 4 years past.  People buy based on what they are shown it can do.  And it CAN'T do ALL that stuff.  Atleast Sony and Ninty aren't giving people fantasy land with their purchases of motion control.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...