By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku asks developers, "Will Kinect really not work while you're sitting?"

On the Engadet show Kudo Tsunoda stated a couple of things.

1. Sitting will work.

2. Kinectimals will have scan in capabilities for Stuffed animals that will be produced along with the game.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/the-engadget-show-010-jimmy-fallon-kudo-tsunoda-microsoft-k

By the way the HD download is just about the best resolution and close up views of the games i have seen.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
wiifan75 said:
Squilliam said:

Ok in order of demo:

1. Martial arts: They wouldn't for fear of breaking TVs.

2. Driving: They've shown that one off already, though the tyre changing is so lame no developer would implement that.

3. Monster: See Dance or Fitness app.

4. Soccer and wireframe: Seen that.

5. Scanning: Doable but probably will never be implemented widely due to cost/benefit. 

6. Sign in: Already shown

7. Video calling already shown

8. Fashion App: Doable.

9. Quiz show: Doable.

10. Media interface: Shown.

Anyway its common to show trailers etc years ahead of release, e.g. Killzone 2 E3 2005 that means that they have 3 and 3/4 years or until 2013 to pull off everything shown.

#1 can be done standing.  Hell with an idiot breaking their TV.

#2 No it hasn't been shown as demoed in video.  She wasn't standing.

#3 & 4 Agree with you.

#5 Will NEVER be  doable with Kinect.  Scan something in midair like that in a room with so much in background.  Don't see that EVER with Kinect.  Maybe Kinect 3 10 years from now.

#6-8 Agree with you.

#9 NOT doable with people sitting down.  Hasn't even been shown to work with more than 2 people at the same time.  A family of 4 sitting that close together?  It's not doable right now.

#10 Again, not doable if the demo at E3 won't allow anyone to sit down doing it.

Killzone showed a game that was being developed.  It could always be tweaked and improved in a gaming world.  Kinect interacting with real world…

"The new Ford Mustang 2012 will be the first flying car".  Will it happen?  Don't BS your consumer base.  Everyone but MS knows you don't advertise BS to your consumer.  I guess fanboys like BS though.  It supports your claims to greatness.  Anyone else, just wants honest advertising and will buy a product that produces as claimed.

2. They have until December 2011 to get that working with Forza: Kinect.

5. They already have depth information to exclude background noise so all they need to know is the shape of the object before hand. They can already use your clothes and face to create a unique avatar so for all intents and purposes this one can already be fulfilled.

9. Yet... They don't have to get everything out the door within 1 month of release.

10. They have explicitly stated that it will work as advertised as a media interface from launch.

By the way I love how you pulled out the F-bomb. Ad-hominem is the mark of a weak argument. In my mind you've already ceded this debate.

Took me a minute to find what you meant by F-bomb.  I re-read my post looking for the actual F word. lol

Your F-bomb wasn't in reference to you.

The games you reference may advertise stuff but they put out a COMPLETE (not counting DLC) product at finish.  Not put out a product before finishing.  Anyone without an internet connection or Wi-Fi will be getting cheated if the finished product features are download after sale.  And as for #9, yes they do need to get it all out the door at once.  Advertise it as part of the product and have it included when you buy the product.  That is very important.  Car analogies are easy for some reason right now with me but example would be buying a car, and we'll paint it within one month of purchase.  When MS sells something, it should be ready to sell.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

wiifan75 said:
Squilliam said:

5. They already have depth information to exclude background noise so all they need to know is the shape of the object before hand. They can already use your clothes and face to create a unique avatar so for all intents and purposes this one can already be fulfilled.

9. Yet... They don't have to get everything out the door within 1 month of release.

10. They have explicitly stated that it will work as advertised as a media interface from launch.

By the way I love how you pulled out the F-bomb. Ad-hominem is the mark of a weak argument. In my mind you've already ceded this debate.

Took me a minute to find what you meant by F-bomb.  I re-read my post looking for the actual F word. lol

Your F-bomb wasn't in reference to you.

The games you reference may advertise stuff but they put out a COMPLETE (not counting DLC) product at finish.  Not put out a product before finishing.  Anyone without an internet connection or Wi-Fi will be getting cheated if the finished product features are download after sale.  And as for #9, yes they do need to get it all out the door at once.  Advertise it as part of the product and have it included when you buy the product.  That is very important.  Car analogies are easy for some reason right now with me but example would be buying a car, and we'll paint it within one month of purchase.  When MS sells something, it should be ready to sell.

No of course they don't. Any functionality not included with the original package which is added in future updates and relied upon by future games can be packaged into the software which requires it. Its quite simple really. Release without using broken functionality = ok, release but rely on functionality which doesn't work yet = bad.

If theres no such thing as a realistic car racing game using Kinect at release whilst sitting down, it doesn't mean they have failed to live up to what they have advertised.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Squilliam said:
wiifan75 said:
Squilliam said:

Ok in order of demo:

1. Martial arts: They wouldn't for fear of breaking TVs.

2. Driving: They've shown that one off already, though the tyre changing is so lame no developer would implement that.

3. Monster: See Dance or Fitness app.

4. Soccer and wireframe: Seen that.

5. Scanning: Doable but probably will never be implemented widely due to cost/benefit. 

6. Sign in: Already shown

7. Video calling already shown

8. Fashion App: Doable.

9. Quiz show: Doable.

10. Media interface: Shown.

Anyway its common to show trailers etc years ahead of release, e.g. Killzone 2 E3 2005 that means that they have 3 and 3/4 years or until 2013 to pull off everything shown.

#1 can be done standing.  Hell with an idiot breaking their TV.

#2 No it hasn't been shown as demoed in video.  She wasn't standing.

#3 & 4 Agree with you.

#5 Will NEVER be  doable with Kinect.  Scan something in midair like that in a room with so much in background.  Don't see that EVER with Kinect.  Maybe Kinect 3 10 years from now.

#6-8 Agree with you.

#9 NOT doable with people sitting down.  Hasn't even been shown to work with more than 2 people at the same time.  A family of 4 sitting that close together?  It's not doable right now.

#10 Again, not doable if the demo at E3 won't allow anyone to sit down doing it.

Killzone showed a game that was being developed.  It could always be tweaked and improved in a gaming world.  Kinect interacting with real world…

"The new Ford Mustang 2012 will be the first flying car".  Will it happen?  Don't BS your consumer base.  Everyone but MS knows you don't advertise BS to your consumer.  I guess fanboys like BS though.  It supports your claims to greatness.  Anyone else, just wants honest advertising and will buy a product that produces as claimed.

In my opinion you are responding to hardly anything i am stating. Can Kinect do everything they show in their advert, yes or no? How many things can it do RIGHT now that is depicted in the advert, 6 out of 10? Is it right to advertise things that your product cannot do? Are competitors lying about their products (move and 3ds)? I understand they can implement things after release but thats an unfinished product and if it truely is going to be $150 thats a little rediculous. And when will the updates come to make kinect do these missing things?  Launch is in Nov so they have like 3-4 months fix this stuff but if they don't will they make it known? A simpler thing to do would've been say hey this is what we are hoping to make it do then show what it can do. We wouldn't be even having this discussion if they did that or make people have to dig for info that they are purposely omitting.

sry for double post.

In simple terms. New console being launched, at E3 1 year b4 launch montage of 10 games which will come for the console. Now noone will be really that upset if only half of the games are ready for launch and the other half come the year after. It took the Xbox 360 about 5 years to do Alan Wake, it took the PS3 about 3 and 3/4 years to do Killzone 2 and thats from trailers advertising what the console could do in E3 2005. It doesn't matter if the Xbox 360 Kinect cannot do everything in that trailer at launch because of some little forum denizens holding them to unreasonable standards. The important point is that it IS done, not that its done by the time the interface is launched. Two years between reveal *2009* to release of all features *2011* is reasonable.

Your still not answering my questions. And im sorry its unreasonable to think that it can actually do something its advertised. I know that kinect will progress and be able to do great things after they work on it for awhile. I am not saying it should be able to do everything that it can ever do right out of the box without the games to impliment them even been created yet. However it should be able to do what they say it can right out of the box because that is what your saying it can do, if you haven't figured out how to do the crap you say it can do then IT CANT DO THEM and should'nt be advertised. It's not like the adverts are saying in time it can do this or eventually, they are acting like it can and will. To top it all off it's illegal.

"Every consumer has the legal right to receive truthful information about any products or services they wish to purchase without being deceived or misled by advertisers. Under federal and state laws, making false, misleading, and/or deceptive claims about the quality, nature, price, or purpose of any products or services is illegal.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the main federal agency that regulates false and misleading advertising practices, requires all advertisements to be truthful, fair, and non-deceptive. Furthermore, all advertisers must have proof to support their claims made in advertisements. "

Source http://www.aconsumerfraudlawyer.com/html/false_advertising.html

@bolded

Are you seriously saying that its ok to do things like that?  So games that don't work for crap are ok to be released as long as the company eventually gets around to patching it so it can. What if the 3ds comes out and it doesn't do 3d, thats ok as long as the eventually make it so it can? That's not ok at all.

The problems it has is not crazy big, so i just want to let you know it's not some HUGE thing i care about. Its really just the principal of the matter and just wanting you to see and admit that it's not ok. Because if it was Sony doing this i know you'd be all over them.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Those 10 items will all be doable with Kinect.  Cant believe people are claiming truth in advertising BS.

Little info for people "The software is still being developed". The software will still be in development up to and after launch.  We are launching a very large new website (multi-million dollar) in just a few weeks.  We are still doing development and ironing out issues as we speak.  Claiming that MS is false advertising with something still in development and stuff that will be features of future software is BS.  Hey if you going there lets get Nintendo sued.  After all the advertisements for the Wii all along made it look like 1:1 movements when for the most part motion with the Wii is simply flicking the wrist until Motion .

Around the Network
thx1139 said:

Those 10 items will all be doable with Kinect.  Cant believe people are claiming truth in advertising BS.

Little info for people "The software is still being developed". The software will still be in development up to and after launch.  We are launching a very large new website (multi-million dollar) in just a few weeks.  We are still doing development and ironing out issues as we speak.  Claiming that MS is false advertising with something still in development and stuff that will be features of future software is BS.  Hey if you going there lets get Nintendo sued.  After all the advertisements for the Wii all along made it look like 1:1 movements when for the most part motion with the Wii is simply flicking the wrist until Motion .

Nintendo wasn't very honest about that too. And when it realized that competitors were so expensive it could have raised the launch price from the previously planned $200 to $250, it could have included WM Plus from the start in return of those extra $50, still getting an extra profit.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:

Nintendo wasn't very honest about that too. And when it realized that competitors were so expensive it could have raised the launch price from the previously planned $200 to $250, it could have included WM Plus from the start in return of those extra $50, still getting an extra profit.

So it had nothing to do with the technology not being done and ready yet.  Didnt they know the price of the Xbox 360 since it launched a year earlier?  I think you giving Nintendo an excuse, but MS doesnt get one for a product that isnt launched yet and they say that you will be able to sit down.

thx1139 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:

So it had nothing to do with the technology not being done and ready yet.  Didnt they know the price of the Xbox 360 since it launched a year earlier?  I think you giving Nintendo an excuse, but MS doesnt get one for a product that isnt launched yet and they say that you will be able to sit down.

Tech to add to WiiMote WM Plus capabilities was actually available, but it couldn't have been included if the launch price had been $200 without sacrificing too much profit (Nintendo doesn't ever sell loss leader consoles, it profits since launch). But as they could rise that price to $250, WM Plus could have been included leaving a profit still greater than what they had had on a $200 Wii without WM Plus. Anyhow, I must agree with you because while Ninty initially just let believe 1:1 tracking without add-ons, but never explicity promised it, MS showing gamers playing racers with Kinect while sitting down was a lot less honest, Ninty was just not very clear, although on purpose, but MS did a lot worse, it lied.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

As long as Playstation Move works I will be fine, Thank goodness!

Will the PS3 be the first and most successful multi-million selling piracy & hack-free console of all time?

JamaicameCRAZY said:

Your still not answering my questions. And im sorry its unreasonable to think that it can actually do something its advertised. I know that kinect will progress and be able to do great things after they work on it for awhile. I am not saying it should be able to do everything that it can ever do right out of the box without the games to impliment them even been created yet. However it should be able to do what they say it can right out of the box because that is what your saying it can do, if you haven't figured out how to do the crap you say it can do then IT CANT DO THEM and should'nt be advertised. It's not like the adverts are saying in time it can do this or eventually, they are acting like it can and will. To top it all off it's illegal.

"Every consumer has the legal right to receive truthful information about any products or services they wish to purchase without being deceived or misled by advertisers. Under federal and state laws, making false, misleading, and/or deceptive claims about the quality, nature, price, or purpose of any products or services is illegal.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the main federal agency that regulates false and misleading advertising practices, requires all advertisements to be truthful, fair, and non-deceptive. Furthermore, all advertisers must have proof to support their claims made in advertisements. "

Source http://www.aconsumerfraudlawyer.com/html/false_advertising.html

@bolded

Are you seriously saying that its ok to do things like that?  So games that don't work for crap are ok to be released as long as the company eventually gets around to patching it so it can. What if the 3ds comes out and it doesn't do 3d, thats ok as long as the eventually make it so it can? That's not ok at all.

The problems it has is not crazy big, so i just want to let you know it's not some HUGE thing i care about. Its really just the principal of the matter and just wanting you to see and admit that it's not ok. Because if it was Sony doing this i know you'd be all over them.

You can't prove false advertisement on say for instance the sitting down and racing portion of that advertisement until they actually release a racing game and its proved that the interface doesn't work as advertised. No racing game? Then obviously you can't prove that they lied. Technically its only false advertising if they release a racing game and it sucks.

Thats the principle of the matter.

Tease.