By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku asks developers, "Will Kinect really not work while you're sitting?"

Squilliam said:

Ok in order of demo:

1. Martial arts: They wouldn't for fear of breaking TVs.

2. Driving: They've shown that one off already, though the tyre changing is so lame no developer would implement that.

3. Monster: See Dance or Fitness app.

4. Soccer and wireframe: Seen that.

5. Scanning: Doable but probably will never be implemented widely due to cost/benefit. 

6. Sign in: Already shown

7. Video calling already shown

8. Fashion App: Doable.

9. Quiz show: Doable.

10. Media interface: Shown.

Anyway its common to show trailers etc years ahead of release, e.g. Killzone 2 E3 2005 that means that they have 3 and 3/4 years or until 2013 to pull off everything shown.

#1 can be done standing.  Hell with an idiot breaking their TV.

#2 No it hasn't been shown as demoed in video.  She wasn't standing.

#3 & 4 Agree with you.

#5 Will NEVER be  doable with Kinect.  Scan something in midair like that in a room with so much in background.  Don't see that EVER with Kinect.  Maybe Kinect 3 10 years from now.

#6-8 Agree with you.

#9 NOT doable with people sitting down.  Hasn't even been shown to work with more than 2 people at the same time.  A family of 4 sitting that close together?  It's not doable right now.

#10 Again, not doable if the demo at E3 won't allow anyone to sit down doing it.

Killzone showed a game that was being developed.  It could always be tweaked and improved in a gaming world.  Kinect interacting with real world…

"The new Ford Mustang 2012 will be the first flying car".  Will it happen?  Don't BS your consumer base.  Everyone but MS knows you don't advertise BS to your consumer.  I guess fanboys like BS though.  It supports your claims to greatness.  Anyone else, just wants honest advertising and will buy a product that produces as claimed.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

Around the Network
wiifan75 said:
Squilliam said:

Ok in order of demo:

2. Driving: They've shown that one off already, though the tyre changing is so lame no developer would implement that.

5. Scanning: Doable but probably will never be implemented widely due to cost/benefit. 

Anyway its common to show trailers etc years ahead of release, e.g. Killzone 2 E3 2005 that means that they have 3 and 3/4 years or until 2013 to pull off everything shown.

#3 & 4 Agree with you.

#5 Will NEVER be  doable with Kinect.  Scan something in midair like that in a room with so much in background.  Don't see that EVER with Kinect.  Maybe Kinect 3 10 years from now.

#6-8 Agree with you.

#9 NOT doable with people sitting down.  Hasn't even been shown to work with more than 2 people at the same time.  A family of 4 sitting that close together?  It's not doable right now.

#10 Again, not doable if the demo at E3 won't allow anyone to sit down doing it.

Killzone showed a game that was being developed.  It could always be tweaked and improved in a gaming world.  Kinect interacting with real world…

"The new Ford Mustang 2012 will be the first flying car".  Will it happen?  Don't BS your consumer base.  Everyone but MS knows you don't advertise BS to your consumer.  I guess fanboys like BS though.  It supports your claims to greatness.  Anyone else, just wants honest advertising and will buy a product that produces as claimed.

2. They have until December 2011 to get that working with Forza: Kinect.

5. They already have depth information to exclude background noise so all they need to know is the shape of the object before hand. They can already use your clothes and face to create a unique avatar so for all intents and purposes this one can already be fulfilled.

9. Yet... They don't have to get everything out the door within 1 month of release.

10. They have explicitly stated that it will work as advertised as a media interface from launch.

By the way I love how you pulled out the F-bomb. Ad-hominem is the mark of a weak argument. In my mind you've already ceded this debate.

Tease.

Cueil said:
dahuman said:

You drive standing?

if you're in a standing forklift you are!

Standing forklift simulator exlusively for Kinect and X360 confirmed! :)

To add to this, male gamers should not stand nude in front of kinect and as it would be confuse to take the **** as part of a tripod.

lol!

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Squilliam said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Tech demo? So it should show what that tech actually does. But it doesn't.

About using it as remote controle while sitting, are you meaning using voice commands or gestures?

Edit: again, I'm not meaning it's a failure, I mean MS should be more honest and push Kinect for all the things it's good or even the best at. This way it could be a huge success without making some user feel cheated and pissing them off. It's not a tech problem, it's just the same old problem of MS' usual attitude.

They already confirmed the ability to use it as a remote whilst sitting. You don't have to stand up to change the channel. Both voice and gesture work whilst sitting.

They are being honest as far as I can tell. They are pushing the styles of games which the current level of software/back end software can perform comfortably and they are pushing back features which aren't quite there yet. So whilst they can do single person voice comfortably they haven't nailed doing multiple voices in one instance so they pushed back that feature and they pushed back some of the games which rely on sitting to work.

I don't see why anyone would feel cheated by anything they have presented. They haven't shown any games which would work poorly with the interface thus far, so if you bought Kinect any of the named titles and played them you ought to be sure that the experience will work as advertised.

Is Micro paying you or something, your like some PR guy for them. 

@ bolded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qlHoxPioM

So Kinect can do everything we see here? I could easily understand why people would feel cheated. I am pro Sony and if they did something like this i sure as hell wouldn't support them. They shouldn't act like it can do things it can't do plain and simple, thats false advertising, thats wrong. Don't get me wrong i am not knocking Kinect, i am knocking their tactics and how they are going about all this. I am sure kinect is great at what it can do and that is what they should show. I am just curious if they dont get everything working correctly if they will inform the average consumer? If e3 is any indication im guessing no.

And from what has been said about how much computing power it uses of the current XB360, we also know that while some refinements are actually just matter of time, bigger ones like increasing the number of players in full body games, or maybe even arriving to track fingers, if the cameras' resolution allows it, will require the computing power of XB720, so they won't be available on XB360, despite already theoretically feasible. Saying that SW refinements can add features is a partial truth, because it omits that a necessary condition is that there be still computing power available to run them, and also that the physical limits of the HW be not exceeded.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Sharu said:
Cueil said:
dahuman said:

You drive standing?

if you're in a standing forklift you are!

Standing forklift simulator exlusively for Kinect and X360 confirmed! :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I'm assuming they don't want people doing the Wii solution and sitting like a slob and just shaking....I used to do that all the time!

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Squilliam said:
wiifan75 said:
Squilliam said:

Ok in order of demo:

#3 & 4 Agree with you.

#6-8 Agree with you.

5. They already have depth information to exclude background noise so all they need to know is the shape of the object before hand. They can already use your clothes and face to create a unique avatar so for all intents and purposes this one can already be fulfilled.

9. Yet... They don't have to get everything out the door within 1 month of release.

10. They have explicitly stated that it will work as advertised as a media interface from launch.

By the way I love how you pulled out the F-bomb. Ad-hominem is the mark of a weak argument. In my mind you've already ceded this debate.

In my opinion you are responding to hardly anything i am stating. Can Kinect do everything they show in their advert, yes or no? How many things can it do RIGHT now that is depicted in the advert, 6 out of 10? Is it right to advertise things that your product cannot do? Are competitors lying about their products (move and 3ds)? I understand they can implement things after release but thats an unfinished product and if it truely is going to be $150 thats a little rediculous. And when will the updates come to make kinect do these missing things?  Launch is in Nov so they have like 3-4 months fix this stuff but if they don't will they make it known? A simpler thing to do would've been say hey this is what we are hoping to make it do then show what it can do. We wouldn't be even having this discussion if they did that or make people have to dig for info that they are purposely omitting.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Squilliam said:
wiifan75 said:
Squilliam said:

Ok in order of demo:

#3 & 4 Agree with you.

#6-8 Agree with you.

In my opinion you are responding to hardly anything i am stating. Can Kinect do everything they show in their advert, yes or no? How many things can it do RIGHT now that is depicted in the advert, 6 out of 10? Is it right to advertise things that your product cannot do? Are competitors lying about their products (move and 3ds)? I understand they can implement things after release but thats an unfinished product and if it truely is going to be $150 thats a little rediculous. And when will the updates come to make kinect do these missing things?  Launch is in Nov so they have like 3-4 months fix this stuff but if they don't will they make it known? A simpler thing to do would've been say hey this is what we are hoping to make it do then show what it can do. We wouldn't be even having this discussion if they did that or make people have to dig for info that they are purposely omitting.

sry for double post.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Squilliam said:
wiifan75 said:
Squilliam said:

Ok in order of demo:

#3 & 4 Agree with you.

#6-8 Agree with you.

sry for double post.

In simple terms. New console being launched, at E3 1 year b4 launch montage of 10 games which will come for the console. Now noone will be really that upset if only half of the games are ready for launch and the other half come the year after. It took the Xbox 360 about 5 years to do Alan Wake, it took the PS3 about 3 and 3/4 years to do Killzone 2 and thats from trailers advertising what the console could do in E3 2005. It doesn't matter if the Xbox 360 Kinect cannot do everything in that trailer at launch because of some little forum denizens holding them to unreasonable standards. The important point is that it IS done, not that its done by the time the interface is launched. Two years between reveal *2009* to release of all features *2011* is reasonable.

Tease.