By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku asks developers, "Will Kinect really not work while you're sitting?"

Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:

Those 10 items will all be doable with Kinect.  Cant believe people are claiming truth in advertising BS.

Little info for people "The software is still being developed". The software will still be in development up to and after launch.  We are launching a very large new website (multi-million dollar) in just a few weeks.  We are still doing development and ironing out issues as we speak.  Claiming that MS is false advertising with something still in development and stuff that will be features of future software is BS.  Hey if you going there lets get Nintendo sued.  After all the advertisements for the Wii all along made it look like 1:1 movements when for the most part motion with the Wii is simply flicking the wrist until Motion .

Nintendo wasn't very honest about that too. And when it realized that competitors were so expensive it could have raised the launch price from the previously planned $200 to $250, it could have included WM Plus from the start in return of those extra $50, still getting an extra profit.

So it had nothing to do with the technology not being done and ready yet.  Didnt they know the price of the Xbox 360 since it launched a year earlier?  I think you giving Nintendo an excuse, but MS doesnt get one for a product that isnt launched yet and they say that you will be able to sit down.

Tech to add to WiiMote WM Plus capabilities was actually available, but it couldn't have been included if the launch price had been $200 without sacrificing too much profit (Nintendo doesn't ever sell loss leader consoles, it profits since launch). But as they could rise that price to $250, WM Plus could have been included leaving a profit still greater than what they had had on a $200 Wii without WM Plus. Anyhow, I must agree with you because while Ninty initially just let believe 1:1 tracking without add-ons, but never explicity promised it, MS showing gamers playing racers with Kinect while sitting down was a lot less honest, Ninty was just not very clear, although on purpose, but MS did a lot worse, it lied.

Do any of you have a link that stated Nintendo advertised 1:1 motion tracking?  I don't want to argue this with you guys but I'd like to see it if it was indeed said by Nintendo.  I only knew them to say that it was motion control and it worked as I was told it would.  Reviewers complained about the lack of true 1:1 I remember but I don't remember anything from Nintendo saying "True 1:1".  The wiimote recongnized spin for bowling and movements without any problems that I saw on launch and I got mine on launch.  All the games I played at the time were fine with me.  Then WM and the Resort game came out together and I was enjoying it.  But I never saw or remember seeing ANYTHING from Nintendo on Wii launch saying true 1:1.  If you have something on that I'd like to see it.  I'll start looking around on the web because if that's true, then that's just as wrong.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

Around the Network

STOP DEFENDING THEM Squilliam. Its ridiculous and you know it. If Nintendo did this you would be all over it.

So has any recent news come out which has "proven" that you can sit? Id imagine they would have produced video proof and spread it far and wide online in order to challenge these vicious rumours.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:

STOP DEFENDING THEM Squilliam. Its ridiculous and you know it. If Nintendo did this you would be all over it.

So has any recent news come out which has "proven" that you can sit? Id imagine they would have produced video proof and spread it far and wide online in order to challenge these vicious rumours.

Squill loves to play devil's advocate so there's no point arguing he'll just keep you dancing.

Besides, he's right as such.  I agree in principle that MS did way overhype Kinect's possibilities, particularly prior to this year's E3, where things got dialed back a bit closer to launch, but no actual charge of false advertising would ever stick and they know this.

They played within the rules of the game - even if I personally disagree with those rules I have to accept MS stuck to them.

You'll notice the closer to launch the less you'll see of 'possible future capabilities' and a lot more about Kinect will be like at launch.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

wiifan75 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:

Those 10 items will all be doable with Kinect.  Cant believe people are claiming truth in advertising BS.

Little info for people "The software is still being developed". The software will still be in development up to and after launch.  We are launching a very large new website (multi-million dollar) in just a few weeks.  We are still doing development and ironing out issues as we speak.  Claiming that MS is false advertising with something still in development and stuff that will be features of future software is BS.  Hey if you going there lets get Nintendo sued.  After all the advertisements for the Wii all along made it look like 1:1 movements when for the most part motion with the Wii is simply flicking the wrist until Motion .

Nintendo wasn't very honest about that too. And when it realized that competitors were so expensive it could have raised the launch price from the previously planned $200 to $250, it could have included WM Plus from the start in return of those extra $50, still getting an extra profit.

So it had nothing to do with the technology not being done and ready yet.  Didnt they know the price of the Xbox 360 since it launched a year earlier?  I think you giving Nintendo an excuse, but MS doesnt get one for a product that isnt launched yet and they say that you will be able to sit down.

Tech to add to WiiMote WM Plus capabilities was actually available, but it couldn't have been included if the launch price had been $200 without sacrificing too much profit (Nintendo doesn't ever sell loss leader consoles, it profits since launch). But as they could rise that price to $250, WM Plus could have been included leaving a profit still greater than what they had had on a $200 Wii without WM Plus. Anyhow, I must agree with you because while Ninty initially just let believe 1:1 tracking without add-ons, but never explicity promised it, MS showing gamers playing racers with Kinect while sitting down was a lot less honest, Ninty was just not very clear, although on purpose, but MS did a lot worse, it lied.

Do any of you have a link that stated Nintendo advertised 1:1 motion tracking?  I don't want to argue this with you guys but I'd like to see it if it was indeed said by Nintendo.  I only knew them to say that it was motion control and it worked as I was told it would.  Reviewers complained about the lack of true 1:1 I remember but I don't remember anything from Nintendo saying "True 1:1".  The wiimote recongnized spin for bowling and movements without any problems that I saw on launch and I got mine on launch.  All the games I played at the time were fine with me.  Then WM and the Resort game came out together and I was enjoying it.  But I never saw or remember seeing ANYTHING from Nintendo on Wii launch saying true 1:1.  If you have something on that I'd like to see it.  I'll start looking around on the web because if that's true, then that's just as wrong.

As I wrote, Nintendo never did it. It's just that the way Wii and its games were advertised, people could easily think it was so. Wii ads always show people doing almost correct movements for the sport or activity simulated in the games, but now we know that moving the right way makes a difference only if you use WM Plus. Ninty never claimed it, but never denied what could be wrongly deduced by ads. That's why I wrote I agree that Ninty's guilt is a lot smaller than MS' one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
wiifan75 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:

As I wrote, Nintendo never did it. It's just that the way Wii and its games were advertised, people could easily think it was so. Wii ads always show people doing almost correct movements for the sport or activity simulated in the games, but now we know that moving the right way makes a difference only if you use WM Plus. Ninty never claimed it, but never denied what could be wrongly deduced by ads. That's why I wrote I agree that Ninty's guilt is a lot smaller than MS' one.

Wow oh wow.  This is the way Wii games were advertised and were talking about truth in advertising.  MS hasnt started advertising Kinect yet and MS is guilty of truth in advertising laws and deceiving the public for something they continue to state you will be able to do.   Kudo Tusonoda stated it again during the engadget show video I posted a link back.  Also showed in that video that Kinect detects when you lay down.  It is amazing the slack that Nintendo gets and MS gets slammed for something still in development.

I also dont think MS even wants people to think about Kinect and sitting down.  You wont see them showing games and sitting down for awhile because they want a 1:1 association between Kinect and active play.  They want people seeing kids and adults standing up jumping around sweating. Not sitting on a chair/couch holding thier arms out.  They want the moms and the dads who want thier kids and themselves being more active to go out and get Kinect.  So with a racing game they produced one that tracks you body for tricks and that when you lean into turns you drift.  They want headlines like the following one in Wired.

Hands On: Kinect Games Give You A Serious Workout

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/kinect-hands-on/

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
Reasonable said:

Squill loves to play devil's advocate so there's no point arguing he'll just keep you dancing.

Besides, he's right as such.  I agree in principle that MS did way overhype Kinect's possibilities, particularly prior to this year's E3, where things got dialed back a bit closer to launch, but no actual charge of false advertising would ever stick and they know this.

They played within the rules of the game - even if I personally disagree with those rules I have to accept MS stuck to them.

You'll notice the closer to launch the less you'll see of 'possible future capabilities' and a lot more about Kinect will be like at launch.

*giggles*

But yes, they aren't delivering quite what everyone was expecting with the E3 2009 announcement and indeed the specifications of the unit have been pared back significantly since then with lower resolution cameras, lower frame-rate, no onboard processing etc. It was probably for the best in the end but it does mean that the unit in 2009 was more physically capable than the unit in 2010 even if the software has improved significantly since then.

I still don't think its worth gathering up steam over. Its a fact of life for anyone who looks to the future for news and information on anything technological that disapointment is the stock of the trade. History is littered with thousands of examples of things which sounded good on paper which didn't quite pan out. What im surprised about is why anyone would be surprised!

Its a much saner existance to simply wait for things to become mainstream before adopting them. Marketers love early adopters but scientists also love guinea pigs for about the same reason. Most people will simply be unaware of that video so they won't exactly pick up their Kinect 6 months after launch with the idea of sitting down to use it to play games. The people who are aware of it ought to also be aware that the stock of the early adopter trade is usually disapointment or delay. 

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Reasonable said:

*giggles*

But yes, they aren't delivering quite what everyone was expecting with the E3 2009 announcement and indeed the specifications of the unit have been pared back significantly since then with lower resolution cameras, lower frame-rate, no onboard processing etc. It was probably for the best in the end but it does mean that the unit in 2009 was more physically capable than the unit in 2010 even if the software has improved significantly since then.

I still don't think its worth gathering up steam over. Its a fact of life for anyone who looks to the future for news and information on anything technological that disapointment is the stock of the trade. History is littered with thousands of examples of things which sounded good on paper which didn't quite pan out. What im surprised about is why anyone would be surprised!

Its a much saner existance to simply wait for things to become mainstream before adopting them. Marketers love early adopters but scientists also love guinea pigs for about the same reason. Most people will simply be unaware of that video so they won't exactly pick up their Kinect 6 months after launch with the idea of sitting down to use it to play games. The people who are aware of it ought to also be aware that the stock of the early adopter trade is usually disapointment or delay. 

Now I look at the phrase "keep you dancing" and your sig and see I spoke the truth.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Squilliam said:

But yes, they aren't delivering quite what everyone was expecting

you mean the ability to sit down?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Squilliam said:

But yes, they aren't delivering quite what everyone was expecting

you mean the ability to sit down?

Aren't you sitting down? You haven't lost the ability. Of course you can sit down when you use Kinect from launch, they just don't make any promises it will work perfectly!

Tease.